lewmonst

Do you like this month's Parachutist cover photo?

Personally I found the photo to not be completely lit, it needed to have been taken with a fill flash to fill in the dark spots. I've had a couple of photos rejected that were lit better then that with the responce that I need to have them showing less shadows.

Overall the subject just wasn't that spectacular, I found the "Discovery Jump" photo to be much more interesting.

I do REALLY like the new look of the articles in Parachutist since the new editor has taken over.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, it is a Yes or No question, so I am guessing that there are more people who didn't like the cover as opposed to people who did. The post didn't ask for explanations, just if we liked the cover. I personally don't like it.

im also wondering why there are yes votes. it was my point to ask when i posted..

my post was asking an explanation, in case you missed that...

Personally I found the photo to not be completely lit, it needed to have been taken with a fill flash to fill in the dark spots. I've had a couple of photos rejected that were lit better then that with the responce that I need to have them showing less shadows.

Overall the subject just wasn't that spectacular, I found the "Discovery Jump" photo to be much more interesting.

I do REALLY like the new look of the articles in Parachutist since the new editor has taken over.

Couldn't have said it any better. I thought the photo was pretty lame. As Phree said, the Discovery photo was much cooler
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

It could have been taken anywhere. Didn't look like it was taken on a skydive.

A few feet back woulda been sweet. If I wasn't a skydiver, then I probably think, 'why is this cool?'

The nixon one is cool though and I like the fact that they put goggles over the mask.

Nice magazine overall, but I think they turned down the wrong road a dozen or so years ago when they decided to change for the sake of change, messing with the logo and turning the publication into a skydiver version of PEOPLE magazine.

Could I do better? Perhaps. But with zero publishing experience and a lack of interest in relocating, I may not be the best man for the job.

Cheers,
Jon S.

The new editor has already come and gone. I think USPA is now looking for "another" new editor for Parachutist.

That is kinda sad... I was just gonna say that I liked the new look of things that I noticed in the last couple. I always thought the articles were pretty bland looking considering how visual skydiving can be.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I love it. I know the photog and the jumpers so it's cool to see them there.

Yeah, but if you didn't know any of them?

I don't like it for simple basic photography composition and lighting. Besides you can barely tell they are skydiving. For once, it's too close. In my opinion. I've got nothing against the custumes, but the costumes alone shouldn't warrant coverphoto quality. The photo and composition itself also has to measure up. And here, I don't think it does.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I see your point.

I didnt really look at the picture until I read this thread. I saw it. read the credit and was excited to see those assholes(:D) on the cover.

as far as the background. I dunno; its always purple in Utah(:D....not really)
My photos

My Videos

Did nothing for me, but we aren't seeing that much good stuff in there lately anyhow.

I thought, "Point Break" and "Yawn".

I liked the one that had me on it, but it made me look fat. Or maybe that was just light reflecting off me.

Seriously, if it was on newstands, that cover might have gotten some attention. From us? "Do a trick, monkey! Do two!"

Call me ghetto but i liked the cover. getting my mag in the mail is one of the coolest things about coming home one day a month, and when the pic makes me laugh im even more excited to open it up. It sure doesnt have the wow factor of a big way or huge stack, but whatever, i got a kick out of it.