CastAwayII

Tipping Instructors??

Dammit !!! no one ever tips the packers !!! Aren't we an integral part of the skydive ??? The behind-the-scenes hero's even ?? You had fun . . . tip your instructor . . . you lived !!!! . . . tip your packer !!!
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

If you have a good experience, your instructor provides you with good instruction, good service and you can afford it, I suggest tipping in some manner. Like someone mentioned above, if you are getting certified offer beer, etc., but if it's a one time deal a little $$$ is very appreciated by underpaid instructors. As an experinced jumper and instructor I do tip my packers at the end of the day. Also I was just at a DZ recently where it is standard when a JM recieves a tip that they split it with the videographer if there was one.

I'm starting my schooloing this weekend and wanted to know if i should tip my instructor or if its not necessary.

depends on the DZ and the services you use:P

Tip the:

parking lot attendent
manifest person
pilot
instructor
Video person
packer
bathroom attendent
Snackbar/waitress
Bartender
Ambulance driver
EMT's
Dr's
Nurse's

R.I.P.

I find the whole tip thing a bit bizarre, perhaps because its not a part of my experience :S perhaps its something that happens in the states. i will buy beer and chew the fat after jumping with instructors but never been asked or expected to tip:|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

with instructors but never been asked or expected to tip

I never ask. I never expect it. However, its a nice surprise that typically means that my wife and I can grab something to eat on the way home after a long day of jumping and instructing instead of having to cook when we get home.

The instructors at my DZ are like that, to the point that unlike some DZs, we do not have any "tipping not expected but appreciated" signs. What that means is that in about 1000 tandems I've been tipped with money about 10 times.

I have had students bring beer back to the DZ. The coolest were thank you cards sent to the DZ by the student. Even weeks after their jump talking about how positively it effected their life.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So why do we tip waitresses ?? Isn't it their job to bring me food??

Yes it's their job, but their not paid enough (minimum wage) by their employer to earn a living. Most folks realise this and tip their waitress based on the quality of service they recieve.

In some countries 15% is automatically added to the bill to compensate the waiters/waitresses.

R.I.P.

In some countries 15% is automatically added to the bill to compensate the waiters/waitresses.

Then why not just add 15% to the cost of each item and skip the tip and pay them accordingly?

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Sorry if it came across as if i was implying anything Dave, nothing was ment by it. I have just never heard off a instructor getting a tip:|.
I can understand the pleasure off receiving a card or a case off beer from a student. I have bought beer and food for my instructors in the past.

perhaps its a national difference i don't know i have had very few pro-fulltime instructors most of them have been part-time weekend instructors who have other jobs.

I can't except the comparison to a waitress though.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I would imagine its none of my concern how much an employer pays their wait staff . . .

I'm there for the food, the price is listed, yet I pay above and beyond the listed price to the waiter/waitress. Don't get me wrong here, I am advocating for the tipping of people here. I am simply trying to draw a parallel with other service industries.

You pay list price for a skydive, and it is brought to you and packaged neatly in a 20 minute briefing and a person then takes responsibility for themselves and you . . . all in the name of a cheap thrill that you are looking for. I think JM's and TM's deserve anything a waitress gets and more . . . remember, they're not exactly paid well either.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

No worries man, I didn't take any offense to what you stated. I've now have been on both sides of the fence. As a full time skydiver for 3 years making my living off of instructing and packing and now as a part time instructor with a real job. The difference a tip made was literally the difference in what I ate. If I recieved a tip I would get to eat out somewhere. Typically someplace like Fazolis (Italian fastfood) or a cheap mexican food place, instead of eating at home. So it was a major plus.

Those were typically from 1-time jumpers who never understood skydiving. I've had former students that continued on in skydiving bring me beer, sometimes even cover the cost of my meal if the DZ decided to go out to eat.

Personally I'd rather someone do something along those lines then give cash. I get to know them better as they start their journey as a skydiver.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Tandem instructors at my DZ get tipped pretty regularly, and they split it with us videots. Sometimes the student tips each of us separately.

AFF is a whole different story. I seldom get tipped when I do AFF. I think it is because AFF jumps and instruction is more of a relationship and less like a service. (Tandem instructors don't beat me up for that one.) I always tip my packer.. even when I get a spanker or two.. :S
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Dammit !!! no one ever tips the packers !!! Aren't we an integral part of the skydive ??? The behind-the-scenes hero's even ?? You had fun . . . tip your instructor . . . you lived !!!! . . . tip your packer !!!

or pay them what they ask for doing a job they advertise. not pay them what they ask plus the extra.
If the money you get ofr packing or being an Instructor is insuffcient, charge more or work elsewhere:|:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

[replyor pay them what they ask for doing a job they advertise. not pay them what they ask plus the extra.
If the money you get ofr packing or being an Instructor is insuffcient, charge more or work elsewhere:|:|

. . . Who pissed in your Corn Flakes ??? I was fooling around, and I believe the whole mood in this thread is one of sarcasm and humour, thanks for ruining that . . .

I'm quite happy with my pay, and I'm quite happy staying out of the limelight.