SKYWHUFFO

CUTAWAY THE MOVIE

OK i KNOW- CHEESY SKYDIVING MOVIE, but i have a quick question to see if anyone knows. there are two twin otters two Casa's and the Deland Skyvan. Who's jump planes are the otters and the Casa's? Obviously the skyvan is at Deland. Is the red and white otter the one that used to be at Skydive America Palm Beach(with a different paint job)? where or who is jumping the two casa's ( one white one and one grey one) and the blue/grey otter? I know this is a question resulting from sheer boredom and wanting to be at the DZ right now, but Let me know the scoop on these planes.
Blue Skies!!!
D

well girl to me the movie was 'nt cheesay . so here the answers and my story. at the time the movie was being filmed i was just a packer and bus driver for the beach jumps at a place call skydive daytona and this film crew came into town it was one of my big brakes i got the chance to pack and make a bunch of money and now i could afford a tandem and rigger rating after it's money with the usa network. i went on and was as to this day gainfuly employedand making good money fulltime in the skydiving industry!. the thing about the movie was it to me ran out of money at the end, and you can see it did'nt become point brake on the big screen. but go to sleep tonight knowing theres is still good people in this world like guy manos and norman kent that cared to make sure us small guys got paid for there hard work. ask yourself a question would you do what they did ! or walk through life being a horse thief ?. to my knowlege the otters are out of skydive sebastian or homestead(skydive miami) thanks your friend scott p.s. maybe we jump together some day

The Casa's belong to Carolina Sky Sports. At least two of the three Casa's have been repainted since that time.

The Red/White/Blue Otter that used to be at SA now belongs to CSS also. (long story there) But I don't think this was the plane used in the movie.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just watch the skydiving.. and forget the underlying drug smuggling story and the diving is pretty good... well try to forget some of the narration of the speed event to..... JESUS THEIR LAST TWO MEN JUST WENT NO LIFT... THEY ARE FLYING BLIND.

Jeanne

Just watch the skydiving.. and forget the underlying drug smuggling story and the diving is pretty good... well try to forget some of the narration of the speed event to..... JESUS THEIR LAST TWO MEN JUST WENT NO LIFT... THEY ARE FLYING BLIND.

Jeanne

Now that does sound cheesy. Cool, will do. I've become a complete junky. If I'm not jumping, I want to see jumping. Man, I need help.

:-)

Thanks Amazon, I'll ignore the commentary on it as well.

Jack

it's alright now, in fact its a gas...
It's a gas, gas, gas...

OK Everyone.

I ordered the dang thing three weeks ago from BlockBuster... It's taking forever to arrive, must be coming by pony.

Is it worth it? I heard there was some great skydivin in it?

Opinions?

Thanks

Jack

Have you seen "Drop Zone"? Pretty much the same thing: Bad soap-opera dialog interspersed with great skydiving scenes. Not very impressive until you consider the fact that it was made for a small fraction of the cost of "Drop Zone".

A big disappointment was that the biggest name in the cast, (Tom Beringer), didn't even bother to develop a new character for the movie; He just went into his closet and dusted off the Sgt Barnes character from "Platoon", and moved it from the jungle to the drop zone. I kept waiting for him to say, "Death? What you all know about death?"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I still don't know what the hell they meant by "no lift", is that just Moron speak for headdown? And wtf? Flying Blind????

I really do need to come jump at Kapow more often I have done it at Snohomish a few times this summer.. and initiate you into the joys of a head down NO LIFT DIVE...lol..... basically its what you use to go really fast... although I look... straight at the ground..some people just tuck thier chin into thier chest so they are litterally flying blind... legs just spread a little toes pointed.. arms at side....and shoulders rolled a bit forward.. no arch....when I do it my Protrack says something in the vicinity of 250mph+

I would not recommend doing it with anyone else near you on the dive.... also you DO NOT want to come out of it except into a track.. throwing your arms out to go into a stable boxman can hurt you.

Jeanne

Ok, post whore that I am....

WOW.

This is something that I've read about big time and really want to do.

Now I just need 400-500 more jumps, tons more experience... etc...

did my first track yesterday, second today, then soloed....

tracking was totally cool. really interested in working that particular skill. it sounds to me if head down is an extreme variation of tracking.

luv speed, luv it.

damn

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Don't forget that Manos was a first-time director (he'd only worked second unit jobs up til then), and didn't really have the experience to get a superior performance out of Berenger.

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing Manos and Berenger tossed some ideas around and agreed that a hard-ass like Sgt Barnes was an easy thing for both of them to work with.

Berenger DOESN'T lack skill or range, and I've said this about him before. In fact, I had never seen Platoon until only very recently (I have a serious problem with Oliver Stone; I won't pay to watch any of his movies just on priciple [so I saw it on cable]); so I had no idea who Berenger was until I had seen him in "Gettysburg", "Rough Riders", and "At Play in the Fields of the Lord".

In sum, Berenger's skill as an actor was wasted; it was hardly a stretch for him to do a goofy indie pic like "Cutaway". He's pretty much set from his earlier work, and he lives in North Carolina, not Hollyweird, so he's not with the "in-crowd" or the A-list, nor does he wish to be. I think he's just doing what ever he feels like doing, not because he needs a paycheck to support substance abuse habits or alimony like a lot of his so-called "peers" in tinsel town...

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

WOW.

Just to add that a premature deployment at those speeds on your main or reserve is really going to spoil your day - so make sure your pins are indecent...

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I had to throw in my two cents. Even though the movie is not the greatest I still love it for the skydiving scenes. Definately escapism.

The other day at work I was in a meeting listening to a boring presentation about our quarter end financial results - lots of charts and graphs. Our CFO said "notice the RED LINE on the graph" and that did it I spent the next half hour daydreaming about Tom Berenger (Redline was his name in the film). Good thing nobody asked me any questions - I have no idea what the rest of the meeting was.

Oh well...sure made the time go by!!!! B|

If you've ever gotten out 40th from a DC-3 you know what a no lift dive is...if you want to make it to the formation that is. Chin tucked in, shoulders rolled in, and everything else in your shoulder burble. And you better know your timing for the flair because you really can not see what is in front of you until then.

BSBD,
Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

OK Everyone.

I ordered the dang thing three weeks ago from BlockBuster... It's taking forever to arrive, must be coming by pony.

Is it worth it? I heard there was some great skydivin in it?

Opinions?

Thanks

Jack

Got mine on clearance at the local video store, for $2.50. Subtract the cost of a blank tape, and you get a true measure of the movie's value.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

WOW.

Just to add that a premature deployment at those speeds on your main or reserve is really going to spoil your day - so make sure your pins are indecent...

Good point. Will do. It will be a long time before I work on that though. I need at least a couple hundred jumps and tons more training in standard belly fly before doin any head down!

I'll definitly go there though, it looks like massive fun to me (oh, aside from the premature opening thing)

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

[reply
Got mine on clearance at the local video store, for $2.50. Subtract the cost of a blank tape, and you get a true measure of the movie's value.

I happen to disagree John, but why would anyone expect a phyicist to have any taste in the ARTS,:D:D:D:D:D Suspension of disbelief must bloody difficult for a phyicist like you:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

a "no lift dive" is accomplished by bending at the waist, in this body position altitude loss is increased and visibility is decreased.

Of course skydivers do not generate lift in any body position (wing suits excepted)

I still don't know what the hell they meant by "no lift", is that just Moron speak for headdown? And wtf? Flying Blind????

I still don't know what the hell they meant by "no lift", is that just Moron speak for headdown? And wtf? Flying Blind???? ***

Since it was the second term for it that came out, technically "head down" is Moron speak for no lift. It's okay, though. There's almost no way you could have known.