Skylark

How many jumps before you purchased your own rig?

i ordered mine at about 50 or 60 jumps because i reallllly wanted a Voodoo and the largest container they make holds a 170 so i demo'd gear from Sqaure3 till i got down to that size and figured that the 170 was small enough for my fat ass.

besides my WL on a 150 would be like 1.43:S:SB|:P

I bought my own stuff and started jumping it on jump # 34.

Why? I knew I was going to be in the sport for a long, long time so I wanted my own gear. It, also, gave me more money to use towards jumping instead of paying rental fees. And, I'm kinda tiny, and student gear didn't fit the best.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I bought my first rig with about 12 jumps. The student gear was 35 ft. T-10's and at 230 pounds I was loosening my fillings on the landings. The DZ rules were that you couldn't jump a square till you had 50 jumps so I bought a 27 ft Russian Paracommander with a 24 ft belly wart. Cost me $300 but I sold it (for $200) as soon as I had enough jumps and money to buy a heavyweight Cloud. Sure glad I never had to land that reserve!

***I bought my own stuff and started jumping it on jump # 35.

Why? I knew I was going to be in the sport for a long, long time so I wanted my own gear. It, also, gave me more money to use towards jumping instead of paying rental fees. And, I'm kinda tiny, and student gear didn't fit the best.
.[/
quote]

Yeah what she said except for the being tiny part

Blue Skies Black Death

Jump 24 for me. Found a good used rig at a good price and had the money at the time. Renting gear was really limiting my jump numbers.
D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

I just ordered mine, have a little less than a hundred jumps. Would have ordered it sooner, but I really wanted a brand-new rig, and I couldn't afford it. So thanks dad, if you're on the forums reading this!

Life is like riding in a taxi.
Even when you're not going anywhere the meter is ticking
- Masked & Anonymous

ordered it while still on student status. had my own gear by jump # 35. why? because i couldn't see the humour in renting gear, that's if it wasn't being utilized by AFP students. in the DZO of SkyDive SpaceLand's defense, he cut me a HUGE break on rental, thanks Steve, i haven't forgotten it, never will.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I had to look at my logbook :)
Jump #23. First jump on my "new to me" rig. A Javelin with a 150 and 143. Added a new Cypres.

I bought it mainly b/c the student harnesses were much too big on me. I always felt like I was going to fall out. And the rental gear was pretty shabby, flaps coming open all the time, that kind of crap. Renting gear was getting costly too.

At around 150 jumps or so I got my first custom sized harness/container, whoohoo!

65 jumps. I bought a complete system, new. At 350 jumps I was bored and bought all new again to downsize 2 sizes, and go elliptical. Now that I do gear sales(for 6 years now), I tell to start out with used if you can find something acceptable. Otherwise buy a container system that is made for you(there is nothing like a rig that actually fits), and size it one size smaller than the USED main that you start on. Its the main that you will get tired of. As far as other economics go...estimate your jump numbers in the near future...depending on how much gear rental is and your numbers...does it make sense to buy sooner rather that later. If money isn't an issue, then buy it as soon as possible...if it is, then calculate if it's better to put it on a c/c or continue to rent.

About 60-70 jumps. Because I was out of college, had the money, and the right (cheap) deal came along. I jumped that gear for about 2 years, and the main for another year after that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

At jump 35. Why = because the student rental rigs at my DZ kinda suck w/ bridal protection, flaps coming open, and are uncomfortable as hell. I knew I was hooked hardcore on jumping and I figured I can buy cheaper fishing poles, cars, paintball guns, etc., but this is my ass and I want nothing but the best protecting it.

Jump 56 I had my rig assembled and was jumping it. It was used, I pieced it together with a used J2 from Sq1, an older F111 main from a manifest friend, swift +175 reserve. no cypres. I really didn't have to be in a rush, working for the DZ I didn't have to pay gear rental, but it got old when "the good rental rig" was out, etc. I wanted to go to boogies/travel too. Replaced that main pretty quickly with a nice Spectre 150 (also used) 60 jumps later.

At about 500 jumps I finally ordered custom gear. Nothing wrong with the other stuff, it just didn't fit right and I was starting to notice it. The container didn't fit my third main very well. Now I have a TJN Odyssey, Jedei 136 and used PD 126. got me a cypres too. :ph34r:

ordered it around 15-20 , got it around 35.

you should add 0-50 in the poll :P

why? i knew i was going to keep doing it.
at the time , there were many job cuts where i work (1500 out of 5500) and i promised myself a new rig if i survive.

still working there, and have a new rig :ph34r:

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."