LouDiamond

You don't see that everyday..

I am not sure on the exact number of grommets as the slider is made up of 5 seperate parts that are connected together. Unlike other large canopies, this one deploys very much like your average skydivers canopy and the slider plays a crucial part in the deceleration and reefing process as the canopy comes out of the back of the aircraft and opens. For all practical purposes, the aircraft can be viewed as the rig or container. As for it's length, I believe it is 150 ft long and approx 10-12 feet wide if not more.The slider is specially made out of a Spectra material that is laminated in large sheets multiple times. You have to look at it closely and touch it to get a good idea of how strong yet flexible it is. It appears at first glance to be similar to a pack mat type material but I assure you, it is very far from that.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here they are, a few quick shots of the chute while being packed. With over 5 miles of suspension line averaging 90+ feet in length from attachment point to the riser mechanism, there is a lot of everything to deal with.If you think it looks big in the pictures then you would really be impressed with it in person as it really is amazing to see a typical ram air canopy at this scale.

FINALLY a canopy appropriate for the big boys, like Skinnyshrek... :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

got any pics of it flying

Sorry, none of those are available for release as of yet but as soon as they are I'll see about posting some if they aren't already all over the news/web.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

How come it's constructed in those segments? Is it anything to do with staging the opening?

It deploys like a regular canopy with the exception that the D-bag doesn't remain attached to the canopy( freebag). The aircraft is basically the container if you will, the only exception is that the canopy doesn't stay attached to the container after extraction from the container. It is in those segments to achieve the flight characteristics and weight distribution needed to fly correctly.I am not sure if it is intentionaly in segments to stage the opening. I'll ask the guy who designed it when I see him again.

How long is the snivel? And do you roll the nose?

Not very long as it can be dropped from high altitude. 30k lbs tends to open any chute rather quickly. I'd loosely estimate it to be in the neighborhood of 600-800 feet. Because of the opening forces, the slider you see there is a very important part in the reefing system and unlike anything normally encountered. I didn't see them roll the nose so I do not know if they do or not.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here is an update on the drop and some of the questions asked. From the man who designed it,

"the canopy is built in 5 sections to facilitate the recovery. One of the requirements is that each section should be recoverable by 2 men only and should not weigh more than a G12." Having a canopy of this size built in sections is also much easier to manufacture…remember the total weight is approximately 800 lb."

As you can see in the pictures, the chute begins opening fairly quickly and the snivel is in the +/- 1000 ft range.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So whats the idea here? A steerable cargo delivery system? What was wrong with rounds?

Correct. The 9000 sq ft canopy is GPS guided. Rounds have their uses but its usually at low altitudes and they are not steerable like a ram air is.

The idea is to be able to drop 30k lbs of cargo from altitude and have it land at a precise spot potentially miles away from the where it exited the aircraft.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING