CSpenceFLY

Have you ever pencil packed your reserve?

My answer is no either way (AFAIK, anyway), but to clarify what you're asking ...

Are you asking if I have actually done the pencil whipping (forging my rigger's name on the card) or if I have asked my rigger to do it for me (having them sign my reserve card as having repacked it even though they have not)?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Umm, no, of course not...:)

But...if I ever did I would only pencil pack my own rig, and it would have had to have been in my possession the entire duration of the packjob. If it would have gotten wet/damp, or suffered anything abnormal I would open right away to air and inspect it. Oh, and if I were going to pencil pack my own gear I would do an actual repack every 365 days or so.
Miami

Funny story... I know a guy who went to another DZ, and then realized his rig was out of date, so he pencil packed it in the car, and went up to manifest. They thought it was odd that his rig was last packed in april of 2004, and previous to that in september of 2004 (this was in like june of '05). He had written down the wrong year on his pencil pack!

I've never pencil-packed myself, but I've been solicted to do it for someone else (i'm a rigger), and even offered the $50 I would get to really pack it. And I've been met with irritaiton when I've refused.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Wait a minute, last time we talked you were going to kill/beat up/turn on/...........wait that's right you were going to pull the reserve if someone pencil packed with you name............

:P :P :P

love ya man
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Long, long ago, in 1992, I had a malfunction on a rig that had it's last repack in the 1980's. I think it was 3 years and 2 months out of date. (We have a 6 month repack cycle.)

It worked fine, but opened very hard.

No, never pencil packed it.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Long, long ago, in 1992, I had a malfunction on a rig that had it's last repack in the 1980's. I think it was 3 years and 2 months out of date. (We have a 6 month repack cycle.)

t

A very long time ago at an unamed dropzone I was jumping student gear as my brand new Unit had a broken steering line. As luck would have it the XL30 main exploded on opening......tore the lateral band in two.
I popped the capewells and cutaway, did my best to stable out and dumped the belly reserve.

When I got back to the dz...it was a long walk....one of the pseudo rigger/instructors told me the DZO was gonna be pissed.....that particular reserve had been one of his display rigs and had been packed for like 5 years.
I asked the dumbass why they had given it to me.
All I got was a blank stare.
Boy I fucked em though....I didnt pay the 5 dollar gear rental.;)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

So I get a PM from some guy asking me why I would make a post like this.Pet peeve number one,taking something to PM that is nothing personal or private.Then he does not even explain his objection,just asks why I would do such a thing.Kind of like I should know better.Well,I don't,I'm at a loss.Maybe he thinks the newbies don't know about such things.How long were you in the sport before you knew what a pencil pack was?
If your going to call me out,do it in public.I can take it.Or at least explain yourself.

So I get a PM from some guy asking me why I would make a post like this.Pet peeve number one,taking something to PM that is nothing personal or private.Then he does not even explain his objection,just asks why I would do such a thing.Kind of like I should know better.Well,I don't,I'm at a loss.Maybe he thinks the newbies don't know about such things.How long were you in the sport before you knew what a pencil pack was?
If your going to call me out,do it in public.I can take it.Or at least explain yourself.

Private messages...serious business. We don't need to know really.

Maybe he thinks the newbies don't know about such things.How long were you in the sport before you knew what a pencil pack was?

As a newbie, I just learned what a pencil pack is. I do appreciate all of the information, and entertainment, I am getting from the forums here. I know I will be looking at the repack dates on all of the rigs I jump. Any way I can really tell if it was actually packed on the date recorded?
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Any way I can really tell if it was actually packed on the date recorded?

Only if you stood there and watched it get packed.
But MOST riggers really do the work and don't just go around pencil whip'n rigs, jumpers on the other hand do, so your more likely to find this with borrowed gear not rental rigs.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Of course i have, But i told the rigger i did it and gave the rigger the 50 dollars to pack it the following week-end.
On another note, I used to have a rigger that would forget to put the seal on the reserve. It wasn't just one reserve it happened quite a lot. When going to a beach boogie i had to get my reserve repacked by a rigger down there because of this fuck up.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

t

A very long time ago at an unamed dropzone I was jumping student gear as my brand new Unit had a broken steering line. As luck would have it the XL30 main exploded on opening......tore the lateral band in two.
I popped the capewells and cutaway, did my best to stable out and dumped the belly reserve.

When I got back to the dz...it was a long walk....one of the pseudo rigger/instructors told me the DZO was gonna be pissed.....that particular reserve had been one of his display rigs and had been packed for like 5 years.
I asked the dumbass why they had given it to me.
All I got was a blank stare.
Boy I fucked em though....I didnt pay the 5 dollar gear rental.;)

I had a similar experience a long time ago at a dropzone far, far away.....

After a malfunction and reserve ride on a borrowed rig I checked the card and discovered it had not been re-packed in over 4 years.

But, it opened just fine anyway.