stayhigh

How would you land down hill???

> hill size about 30 degree.. How would you flair??

You'd likely never reach the hill. Modern canopies glide at angles between 24 and 30 degrees. (glide ratios of between 3:1 and 4:1.)

But if the hill were less steep - say 15 degrees - then you could likely land on it. The flare would just be a LOT slower, and would take much longer to complete. Basically you'd start flaring, but stop whenever you were about to gain elevation over the hill.

Hills around 26 degrees are quite interesting, because you (slightly) increase your glide ratio when you pull on your brakes. So you could approach the hill, but when you began to flare you'd move away from it again. About the only way you could land on such a hill is get your feet down and start sliding; this adds tremendous drag and lets you come to a stop with a flare. Obviously you need the right sort of hill to try this.

Edited to add - when ground launching, one thing that helps you is that slopes eventually end. Needless to say, a site where the slope bottoms out in an alligator farm is not a good GL site - a place with a wide open flat area at the bottom is best.

You'd want to land "across" the hill, but if there's no other way, just slow your decent rate and sink it in.

However, that means if you're jumping some super fast swooping machine, or can't make an accuracy approach with a larger and slower canopy, you're pretty much screwed . . .

PS. I wrote that before you mentioned GL . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Okay dude, i admit it im going GL, ill might have to land in down hill kinda area so im asking opinion,,

If you have to ask this question on here you need coaching. Thats totally ok, we all need coaching in various areas. I can tell you though, if you have to ask that question, there are a lot of things about ground launching that you will be missing that are important for your safety...including not being kited off the back of the hill!

At your experience level, coaching or attending a ground launch camp is the only way you will be able to gain the skills needed for ground launching.

Trust me.

Cheers,
Travis

How do you always flare? Evenly on both sides.

On my paraglider, I often land on the side of a hill and still follow the basic rules of landing a canopy.

(1) Land with the canopy above your head - Not in a turn
(2) Land in a clear and open area (avoid obstructions!!)
(3) FLARE
(4) Land into wind IF POSSIBLE

I love that canopy course - Thanks Brian:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Ground Launching.

It happens in places where there are slopes :P

Basically, it's a return to the sources of paragliding, but instead of HUGE 5/7 ell canopies, people now use their small 7/9 cell canopies and flirt with the ground at a much higher speed.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

okay how steep is 30 degree,, this site had and slope little bit steeper than regular stair. the hill top is about 280 ft and lading area will be about 120 ft,,

Ahhhh, persistence…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

not everyone has $500 to go to the GL center . so, we will teach ourselves. not best way, but fun for shits and giggles. .. i guess. As well, there is not much information online that I can find on GL other than glcenter .

Hey Mike, when you get it figured out, let me know, and i will join you in the hospital! .. I'll put my phone on voice connect, and program 911 to painful moaning!
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

not everyone has $500 to go to the GL center . so, we will teach ourselves. not best way, but fun for shits and giggles. .. i guess.

good luck. don't hurt yourselves.

not everyone HAS to groundlaunch either. :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

> who regulates GL?

The same people who regulate BASE jumping.

That be the ground?

Darwin regulates Ground Launching. Sometimes he wins right away, sometimes he has to wait awhile.

Darwin is pretty patient though.....

Talk to someone who knows what he is doing and can teach you some hard earned lessons rather than learning strictly internet research.

Chicks only dig scars if you live ;)

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

not everyone has $500 to go to the GL center . so, we will teach ourselves. not best way, but fun for shits and giggles. .. i guess.

good luck. don't hurt yourselves.

I would hate to be out of skydiving for an extended period while healing from a GL injury.

If you've already thought throught the risks, and have decided that this is an acceptable risk for YOU, then no jerk on the internet saying "no, you dont' have enought jumps, its too dangerous, you're stupid" is going to stop you (and neither should they).

So, have some info.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/art-groundlaunch.php

Have fun, don't die! B|