skydivezimbabwe

How do you stop the dudes from hooking it when your safari boogie is 1000 clicks from the nearest real hospital?

karl.. i meant exactly the difference between sout and soet... i see someone else spelt it out ;)

back to the thread and on a more serious note... Rob, when you say "real hospital", do you mean in Zim or in SA? There was a story recently about a guy badly injured in Zim who battled to get back to SA to a hospital. This could be really serious and to be honest, while we all know down here that "Africa is not for sissies" it is possible that jumpers more used to easily available medical care, being flighted out etc may not realise how serious the situation can actually get. Whatever, decent medical insurance will no doubt be necessary.

This link may be of interest:
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,9294,2-7-1442_2030558,00.html

I seem to recall a story about a Cape Town guy with a worse outcome but can't find it via a search function.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

karl.. i meant exactly the difference between sout and soet... i see someone else spelt it out ;)

no worries, I was just trying to help the general community understand where the saying came from, either way I'd rahter be known as sweet than sour anyday ... LOL

Enough cockringing around:D or they're gonna make me move this forum again.;)

Seems a lotta concern on how a dude is casavacced but we are more into prevention. For the record we have insurance cover available and Medical Air Rescue Service based in Victoria Falls. MARS don't have to apply for Flight Plans 24 hours in advance when it is for medical emergency. Since the Skydive Festival comes under Defence approval, they already know what we're up to. So we don't have to sit on the tarmac for 6 hours like that poor bloke from Cape Town. The Air Force is considering sending us down one of their Bell helicopters, so if you bury yourself properly you might get a flight in that. B|
Rob-By
Check it out at http://www.skydive.co.zw Clicky!

Seems a lotta concern on how a dude is casavacced but we are more into prevention.

is that an evacuation by a Casa ?

Anyways seriously, in case something happens, what is the flight time between the DZ and next "best" hospital ?

Need any special evac insurance ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

So how do you try keep it safe?

Maybe using a combination of humor and seriousness would be helpful. I like the idea of having a sign at manifest/check-in saying approximately "limited medical facilities available, nearest hospital is 1000 km (600 mi) away, don't screw up" in as many languages as you think you may need. Beyond that, maybe the warning/grounding system that has been proposed.

Finally, dig a rectangular hole in the ground next to manifest, about 2.5 m by 0.75 m by maybe 0.5 m deep. Put up a sign in the hole that says "Hospital". Have a little plush toy vulture sitting on the sign. Have a cardboard "tombstone" that says something like "Your Name Here!" or "J. Random Swooper. 24 Nov 1971 - 22 April 2007." If you can get your hands on an old, worn-out, tiny canopy, dig a second hole next to the "open grave", 2.5 m by 0.75 m but shallow. Put the ends of the canopy lines in it and then fill the hole back in. Put up a sign on that "grave" that says "Room 101" and one on the "open grave" that says "Room 102". Advise people that the hospital is already half full.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Simply the panel at the Johannesburg Skydiving Club manifest was quite a good warning enough for me : Warning, JSC is a high altitude dropzone. Hookturn at your own risks. (or something like that)

"JSC is high altitude drop zone, hook at your peril." :|

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

You could do like I did back when I was teaching rock climbing- make up a special first aid kit, make sure everybody knows where it is, insist that everone verifies that it's complete. Inside was a spatula, a small plastic bag and a note about safety. :P

You could do like I did back when I was teaching rock climbing- make up a special first aid kit, make sure everybody knows where it is, insist that everone verifies that it's complete. Inside was a spatula, a small plastic bag and a note about safety. :P

Sounds like the Smoke Jumpers 'Last Ditch' survival kit...

When being over run, in you find:
A folding shovel to dig a shallow pit, a thermal blanket to cover yourself....and an APPLE to stick in you mouth so the guys that find you will have something to chuckle about! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Way back when, I shattered my tib and fib in Malawi.
Hot and high, no windsock, and downwind under a strato-star. It was something like 10 hours before I got any kind of medical attention. I was lucky - I made it out to Johannesburg.

If any of your participants are interested in knowing what 10 hours of unrelenting pain is like, ask them to get in touch with me. (Or failing that, I guess they could just talk to their mothers.)

If any of your participants are interested in knowing what 10 hours of unrelenting pain is like, ask them to get in touch with me.
(Or failing that, I guess they could just talk to their mothers.)

She says she doesn't know you....:)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"