Kynan1

Random Advice Givers...

Instead of bashing the guy, help him out with some constructive help...

Never going to happen here. Speakers Corner behaviour will always pop up as soon as someone says somethng that others disagree with.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I misspoke. And I agree to some extent.
It's the way advice is given that rubs me the wrong way. Some people are tactful and genuinely care about another skydiver, others get off on blasting someone with fewer jumps.

I agree.

Some people are absolute dicks when giving advice, either from lack of people skills, or they simply don't care. The advice is often warranted, but perhaps people don't realize that the recipient will be more inclined to listen if the giver of the advice puts a little effort into being nice about it.

If only there was a book available to help people learn these basic social skills. Oh wait, there is.

I've heard a lot of advice. Some of it good, some of it not so good. What you have to do is learn to filter the good from the bad.

Even though jump numbers don't always mean anything, you do have to consider that that with 100 jumps, someone with 400 DOES have 4 times the experience that you do. Whether you choose to listen to the advice or not, regardless of what you think, they have more experience, period.

I was told by someone once that has 5 times the jumps that I do that I should always finish my flare when I land, regardless of wind conditions. On a moderately windy day, I can have a pillow soft landing by only flaring halfway. Regardless of how much I tried to explain this, he stuck to his guns. So that is a piece of advice, for me anyways, that I will not be listening to.

Of course, that's different than doing head-down at 100 jumps, but I can't really talk or I'd be a hypocrite. I was taken on a four way head down exit once at 80 something jumps. I was with 3 other people that have hundreds of head down jumps, and we only held it for a few seconds. I have tried going head down on some solos with little success. But I have always called those freefly jumps on the plane and end up exiting last when I do that type of stuff, with good separation, as to not run into any issues.

Ok, so, looking back at my post - don't listen to me, and be safe bro.

Your right. I tend to use a selective filter when being given advice. I am usually quite humble and gratefull to anyone at the DZ who helps me with any aspect of the sport including those who were criticizing me (I felt that meant they wanted me to live long). That said there is always going to be a skygod who will dump on you to make himself feel better, but 90% of e people I ran across genuinely wanted to help.

Anyway thanks for the input,

Cheers
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Even though jump numbers don't always mean anything, you do have to consider that that with 100 jumps, someone with 400 DOES have 4 times the experience that you do. Whether you choose to listen to the advice or not, regardless of what you think, they have more experience, period.

The old guy I passed on the highway has probably driven 4x the number of miles than me, but I'm 4x the driver. Experience to some extent is overrated. I'll take a skilled driver over some 55mph left lane lover any day.

If I can't ask how many jumps you have can I ask how old you are?

LOL Simple Head down huh?

It probably took 20 jumps to fall somewhat straight and I'm still working on it of course, but doing a solo head down wasn't that hard for me. Standing probably only took 10 jumps. Sit, stand, head down are pretty simple to get in now, but try flying them relative to people and moving sideways, front, back, adjusting fall rate...will take many, many, many, jumps, this I know.

Hmmm, OK, I'm gonna try again here.....
This is meant constuctively!
It's not just about holding head down sit etc.
Awareness of others in the sky around you and the ability to get out of the way fast without having to think about it.
The previous example about corking-do you have the wherewithall to not do that automatically?
How's your internal clock? Does it adjust from sit to head down speed/time?
The more I jump the more I realize the less I know...
And again with all due respect, after reading your responses, I'll pass on jumpin with you.....

Moral of the story, never judge a jumper by a jump number, it's a litte naive.

Kynan,

When some freeflier falls thru your jump - and they were not on your jump to begin with, you will understand. Until then, you are a little naive.:P

I learned myself how dangerous solo freeflying can be when a sitflyer joined our 4way without being invited. Backsliding occurs faster than you think!

I wish you luck with your freeflying. It can be done safe, and you should have a lot of fun. Make sure you get good (doesn't mean you have to pay for it) coaching, because you can learn a lot.

But also, I will say, this random advice giver might be more worried about themselves (you crashing into them) than you, but was trying to be polite.:P:)

The old guy I passed on the highway has probably driven 4x the number of miles than me, but I'm 4x the driver. Experience to some extent is overrated. I'll take a skilled driver over some 55mph left lane lover any day.

Yo skippy, in this sport you get skills from experience and experience from your use of skills, both take time to acquire. So far in this thread and your posts in the photography forum, you seem to be in a big hurry to puff out your chest and strut your stuff around the barn yard as if your the first hotshit skygod to grace us with your ever so valued input and we should be glad that you stopped by to let us all know how great you are and how your the first guy on the block to have it all figured out and you got all the answers too, just ask ya.

Did ya get yer camera all saran wrapped up and ready to go.:P
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You shouldn't be posting this here if you don't want advice. Most people here will do nothing but preach safety and will just tell you to slow down if your jump #'s are under 1,000.

That said, I was jumping a used Vector 2 (not freefly friendly), head down at 20 jumps, and a camera at 70. It's not the smartest thing, but it's not outlawed like I think it is in England.

Just make sure your gear is safe, you're altitude aware (an audible is also a good idea), and you're aware of where everyone else is on the jump. Also be aware of your heading, position, exit order, and movement relative to other groups.

A lot of people on the DZ are giving unwanted advice because they are just sick of watching their friends die and are trying to prevent watching others die. Once you're in the air, everyone is individually responsible to stay safe.

>I don't have a big ego, especially in skydiving.

As a friend of mine likes to say -
Hee!
Hee!

>I feel like other peoples egos get crushed when they have
>500 jumps and can't do a simple head down.

I suck at head down. But it don't bother my ego none, and I fear I will continue to give advice to people who are going to get injured/killed without it (and sadly, sometimes even with it.)

It probably took 20 jumps to fall somewhat straight and I'm still working on it of course, but doing a solo head down wasn't that hard for me. Standing probably only took 10 jumps. Sit, stand, head down are pretty simple to get in now, but try flying them relative to people and moving sideways, front, back, adjusting fall rate...will take many, many, many, jumps, this I know.

HA! I love it. Of course it's easy to fall 'somewhat' straight down. It's easy to 'somewhat' dock. It's easy to 'somewhat' swoop. It's easy to hit the target 'somewhat'.

What the hell is that?

"I got the cute chick 'somewhat'....at least I got her fat friend." Yeah, 'somewhat means nothing.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

The advice is often warranted, but perhaps people don't realize that the recipient will be more inclined to listen if the giver of the advice puts a little effort into being nice about it.

That is def. true and more people need to realize it. Giving good advice in a negative way is usually a surefire way to have the recipient not listen

"Living like fallen angels who lost their halos" - Unknown Prophets

-Love Life-

wow... and everyone called me paranoid my first jump at Perris when I declared to the entire plane that I was doing a solo belly and would be pulling at 4.5K then proceeded to ask everyone on the load what they were doing and where they wanted me in the load order being a low time jumper and new to the place. i wonder if anyone on here remembers that?

See Paranoia Warranted! :) Someone point this guy out to me at Perris next time? Now for the decison:
A) Jump in front of the guy
B) Jump behind the guy
C) Get off the load if he's on the plane
D) Blow the full altitude jump ticket price and ask for a hop n pop
-Patrick

I don't have a big ego, especially in skydiving. I feel like other peoples egos get crushed when they have 500 jumps and can't do a simple head down.

I have over 500 jumps and I can assure you, my ego isn't crushed because you can do a 'simple' head down, and I can't.:)

Well...actually I don't KNOW that I can't, I've never tried one.;)

If I ever were to want to do it, and you're as good as you think you are..I might even seek YOUR advise...:$
Then again...'might' not.:ph34r:

But like it or not ~ asked for or not, I have some 'advise' for ya that you may want to consider.;)

Gotta take the whining down a notch or two.:S

No matter HOW good you are, you're never to good not to die in this sport...:|

I've SEEN it happen to people much better than you, or I ever will be...and it will 'humble' anyone's ego, and get your skill level in proper perspective.

You say you're 31, coincidentally that's how long I've been skydiving, and along with the skills I've acquired in that time I've also acquired some insight as to how things tend to go for people.

The first few years and lets say 1000 jumps, 'most' jumpers don't even know, how much they don't know.

Then say 5 years in, if you're staying current, jumping safe, earned some ratings and gained some 'general' & 'specialized' experience, traveled to some boogies and went to some camps...you start to get a grasp on just how much, you really DON'T KNOW.

THEN...somewhere between 5 - 10 years into the sport, you will have it shit hammered into you...a wake up call / reality check.
" W O W... so & so went in, and he was one of the best in the world, how could THAT have happened "

...and THAT'S about the time you really do understand, WHY it couldn't hurt to consider all the help, advise, opinions, that you can, you should have always 'known' to a degree that others were just trying to help...
~ but there will come a time that one genuinely understands the WHY.

Most of us were OPEN to it since beginning our jumping 'career'...it's how we watch out for each other.

It's only prudent, it's called survival.

You have to 'filter' what you're told sure...
~ but i wonder how can you possibly be so 'pissy' about someone offering 'their' insight to you, regarding the experience they've had, and how you might apply it...
~ in order TO STAY ALIVE?! :o

You said something about 'Making it Real' to someone offering you unsolicited advice, that kind of attitude doesn't get you a chair at the grown up table.

It kind of speaks of inexperience and immaturity.

Don't like the 'way' they tell you? :ph34r:
Oh well, life's tough..wear a helmet, it can be a dangerously impolite sport I guess!

You are correct in it's NOT about jump numbers, but your initial post isn't really about about skill either, it's about ATTITUDE.

The problem here IMHO, whatever YOUR skill level really is, your attitude level seems to be out of sync with it...[:/]

That's not a good way to participate in Skydiving, because somewhere around 30 years into the sport...;)
~you come to understand that bad ATTITUDE can get you just as dead as bad skills.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You have to 'filter' what you're told sure, but how can you possibly be so 'pissy' about someone offering 'their' insight to you, regarding the experience they've had, and how you might apply it...in order TO STAY ALIVE.

Perhaps if people heard this girl on her period yapping at me, you'd all understand where I was coming from. I'm usually pretty mellow and take advice well, but its how someone comes across more than anything.
Ok, I'm spent on this topic. Thanks for all your advice on this topic.

Got to give you one last piece of advice. Bookmark this thread and come back and read it in 1000 jumps or so...if your not cringing I'll buy you a case of beer.
PEACE!
Jason
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Perhaps if people heard this girl on her period yapping at me, you'd all understand where I was coming from.

I'm usually pretty mellow and take advice well, but its how someone comes across more than anything.

I think we " all " understand not only where you're coming from, but also where you're headed. :|

It's true what they say, Ya can lead a horse to water, but ya can't make a DGIT golf. :D

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

How about starting in a sit? With a coach or someone that can fall straight down? No way he can fall straight down at 100 jumps in a sit. Learn THAT first. If you move too much in a hd (and I can assure you he WILL)...

Saskia,
You dodged the question...I'll repeat it for you:

"All else aside, I'm curious as to how many jumps you have to have to try head down before you can ensure that you DON'T drift all over the sky while learning."

As the thread progressed, it's apparent that the problem isn't about jump numbers but leans more along the lines of attitude and ego. But I can certainly agree with him that often WHAT you say gets overridden by HOW you say it. The good instructors know this.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I think all jumpers probably drift all over the sky while learning actually, I know I do when I try it on my own (I'm not much of a freeflyer). I think you're much better off with a coach or good freeflyer regardless of jump numbers. But higher jump numbers = more awareness of the fact that you ARE moving, I guess.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

In the ASM(australia) there were two guys with less than 150 jumps a piece who docked head down... And we don't have no stinking tunnels here....

PS. That being said I have far fewer jumps, and no tattoos or piercings. So I cant freefly.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Some people can drive 200,000 miles and still suck at driving, others can get behind the wheel and win Nascar.

I wonder how many people think they can get behind the wheel and compete at Nascar, and only realise that a couple of hundred thousand miles first might have been a good idea when they are staring at the wall approaching their (out of control) car very fast...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.