popsjumper

Door Open On takeoff?

What is the general concensus on the door being open or closed on takeoff?

Arguements for Open:
Pilot chutes out the odor is a myth.
Too hot for the TMs in the summer.
A good gear check prevents a PC out the door.
Plane off the runway with fire could jam the door if closed.
If you're afraid to sit by an open door on takeoff, sit up front.

Arguements for Closed:
Prevent PC out the door.
1000 ft of altitude in not unbearable (1-2 minutes?)
Despite good gear checks PCs could be lost in on-board shuffling.

I'm sure you can think of other reasons supporting either.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Why would you expose yourself to one more safety risk that can easily be avoided? What happens if the door is open and the pilot has to make a sudden maneuver in the air? Sure you should be wearing your seatbelt, but if you fell out you'd be hanging in who knows what position. Keep the door closed for a minute or two is not that big of a sacrifice. Suck it up and be safe.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Pilot chutes out the odor is a myth.

I had on my old hardrive a picture of a cessna 206 or possibly a beaver (cant remember which) that was missing quite a bit of the back of the door area due to a pilot chute escaping and taking the jumper with it....

personally other than expelling the stinky farts there isnt a really good reason.

I have been on an otter where a pilot chute fell out and was noticed before the door was opened.. I have been on a cessna 206 where a TI had the reserve fire as he was hooking up the student...

personally I am more comfortable with the door remaining closed untill just prior to exit.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I have been at places where they let it stay up and places where they mandate it be closed. Personally, I don't see any reason in the world why you can't keep it cracked a foot for circulation. The people saying "suck it up" are clearly not the ones stuck up in the front of the plane on EVERY skydive like I am.

Chuck

> What is the general concensus on the door being open or closed on takeoff?

Problems with an open door:

1) Escaped PC can cause a jumper-in-tow and bring the plane down
2) Poorly secured jumper can fall out at an unsurvivable altitude
3) During an engine fire/containment failure you can get debris and flame in the cabin
4) During ordinary takeoffs you can get gravel kicked into the cabin
5) During an off-field landing/crash you can get debris shot into the cabin
6) Can cause slower-than-expected climb, and poor single-engine performance

Generally the question comes down to safety vs comfort. Every DZ will make a slightly different tradeoff there. At most DZ's I jump at, it's pretty much always door closed until 1000/1500 feet, can be "cracked" after rotation.

Somehow a PC gets out at 400 feet... goes out the door... jumper's wearing his seatbelt...

At best the jumper gets cut in half and taken out the door. At worst the plane goes down and kills everybody onboard.

I'll sit in the heat for 2 minutes.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I witnessed a reserve pop right before rotation. The jumper was sitting on the back bench of an otter right next to the door and slouched down to get comfy. His reserve fell to the floor as he leaned forward to see what happened... just as we got airborne. It was about 95 degrees that day. The door was closed. Another jumper grabbed it and got it all collected.
The jumpers reserve pin hooked the open area ledge. I think it was a Javelin container.
Zing should also post again what happens to an aircraft that looses an engine with the door up.

Three things to add:

Peckerhead raised the question of type of plane – Grand Caravan

D22369 raised the mangled 206 – I believe that pic was an incident from altitude? Please correct if wrong. The question here is about at takeoff. (I might add takeoff to an altitude where one could conceivably get out and survive.)

Grimmie raised Zing’s possible input…I would like to see that.

So far, I see majority of “keep it closed”.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Where I jump we usually have a Turbo Let 410 in the summer months. The rule with that aircraft is the door has to stay open until 1,500ft. I believe that this is because the door is not all that easy to open - it is hinged and opens inwards like a gate. So if you do crash after take off and the door is closed you would have a hell of a job getting out. I guess my point is that some aircraft may have 'eccentricities' that necessitate having the door open on take off.

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

LOL yeah a great plane but a sod of a door, still nice and big when you do get it open and you get a nice view if you r sitting down near the open door.

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

Its cool sitting by an open door on take off, if a little bit scary. I love the Let though. I'll see more of Headcorn the second I teach my lazy ass how to pack because getting help there is always major effort at a weekend unfortunately :(

What is the general concensus on the door being open or closed on takeoff?

Arguements for Open:
Pilot chutes out the odor is a myth. Wanna bet? It's been seen before.
Too hot for the TMs in the summer. Suck it up cupcake
A good gear check prevents a PC out the door. Shit happens
Plane off the runway with fire could jam the door if closed.
If you're afraid to sit by an open door on takeoff, sit up front.

Arguements for Closed:
Prevent PC out the door.
1000 ft of altitude in not unbearable (1-2 minutes?)
Despite good gear checks PCs could be lost in on-board shuffling.

I'm sure you can think of other reasons supporting either.

Door stays closed until the pilot says so and you're high enough that you're willing to jump.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

except on planes that don't have inflight skydiving doors. Similar to the Let, there are some planes I've jumped out of in the past where doors had to be either open for take of, or just didn't exist in the first place when the plane was set up for skydiving.

I think, whatever the pilot says goes. If that means you are a bit hot for a few minutes in the summer, or even freezing for a bit in the British summer ;), get over it.

tash

Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

You could crash if you have an engine failure on takeoff and the drag causes the pilot to lose control.

We all might be thinking of the Twin Otter at Sullivan but I have my opinions about another crash that involved jumpers leaving during an engine failure. It was a 205 and people tried to leave at about 400 feet or so. The CG shift, the open door I believe all played a part in the pilot losing control. It's not just twin engine aircraft I'm worried about losing control.

C-205 Fatal Celina, OH May 9, 1999
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X18790&key=1
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

D22369 raised the mangled 206 – I believe that pic was an incident from altitude? Please correct if wrong.***

I believe your correct that it occured at altitude, and it could occur at takeoff or shortly thereafter (sub 1500') but if the parachute entangles the tail at a low altitude, its most likely going down with everyone on board with no chance to save themselves, our sport has enough risks, I would prefer a few minutes of heat and farts to adding this possibility. - some of you all are damned stinky!! but... dead lasts sooo long:|

Roy

Edit to add= If someone still has this pic or another showing the damage to the airframe I hope you will post it, I lost it when my hardrive crashed, and its really quite impressive when you realise it was a persons body that did it.

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.