rave4funn

jumping in the rain

I made my 99th jump in a light rain Saturday afternoon. It sucked!!! We were all flying with our hands under our chins trying to protect our faces and necks. At least I was wearing my jumpsuit; some people jumped in shorts and a tshirt. We all had welts on whatever parts of body were exposed. I suppose it was from hitting the pointy end of the rain drops I dont think I will be doing that again..B|
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

Lucky you didn't drown due to the impact forcing the water into your bloodstream. Not unlike those "squirtgun" injectors they use to give needle-less injections. The last time I jumped in the rain I didn't have to take a drink for 3 days. ;)

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Opening weekend when we (my dz) changed locations, we were jumping through ice. It was not the most pleasant experience, but it was a hell of a lot better than jumping in the rain.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

i jumped in a light rain in march and didnt have a problem. it didnt even cross my mind that it would hurt....does it usually?

It's irritating, more so if its raining hard. Just stick your hand out the car window as your driving down the freeway at 80 (or more) when its raining hard. You'll probably end up with some welts.

Funniest tandem video I've ever seen was jumping through hail. The instructor was grimacing horribly, the student was going between a broad grin and an "ouch" face every couple of seconds. The camera woman (who was coaching me next jump when I had the same experience) had a nasty rash on her neck from the hail hitting her.

My last jump was a hop and pop in rain. Nasty. The canopy's still not dry!

> We did a jump from 11 in November and the clouds were all the way
>down to about 5, man did that shit ever hurt. I think it might have been
>ice crystals.

Many jumpers think they have been jumping in ice when they jump in rain - at least until the day they really _do_ hit ice. If there was blood and bruising involved, it was probably ice. If it just hurt like hell, it was rain.

My whuffo friends don't understand when I talk about the pointy ends of the rain drops! :D

Rain doesn't really have a pointy end. Thats a myth.

"Small raindrops (radius
"This remarkable evolution results from a tug-of-war between two forces: the surface tension of the water and the pressure of the air pushing up against the bottom of the drop as it falls. When the drop is small, surface tension wins and pulls the drop into a spherical shape. With increasing size, the fall velocity increases and the pressure on the bottom increases causing the raindrop to flatten and even develop a depression. Finally, when the radius exceeds about 4 mm or so, the depression grows almost explosively to form a bag with an annular ring of water and then it breaks up into smaller drops."

> I say we jumped through ice opening weekend because the videos
> showed little bits of ice on the lens and my goggles had little bits of ice
>on them.

OK!

We once jumped through ice just before a storm hit at Rantoul. We knew we had gone through ice because my chin was all bloody when we landed. Where I had just jumpsuit protecting me I had pea-sized bruises where I got hit. Where I had jumpsuit and T-shirt, the bruises were much smaller.

I saw a group jump one time in the rain and the results were none too pleasant. Dime to Quarter sized welts all over all exposed skin. All the jumpers on that load said the same thing... that HURT!! and they would NEVER do that again.
I think there may be some pics floating around of the welts. It wasn’t pretty.

> I say we jumped through ice opening weekend because the videos
> showed little bits of ice on the lens and my goggles had little bits of ice
>on them.

OK!

We once jumped through ice just before a storm hit at Rantoul. We knew we had gone through ice because my chin was all bloody when we landed. Where I had just jumpsuit protecting me I had pea-sized bruises where I got hit. Where I had jumpsuit and T-shirt, the bruises were much smaller.

We were jumping in a light rain one early winter. At 3500' it was snow and could barely see the ground. Did a H&P. We could see the snow collecting inside the cells of the canopy, and when we landed the ice broke off the leading edge.

It was still raining on the ground:|

QUIET! They FEEL pointy- make a jump in the rain with nothing protecting your neck and THEN tell me they aren't "pointy"! :P

I have made jumps in the rain with nothing protecting my neck.

Hurts like a bastard and I looked like a lobster.

They still aren't "pointy" :P
__

My mighty steed