skydivermom

Who got wet during water training?

Okay,

I found out just recently that some places don't do actual water training. They just go over the procedures and sign off for the B license. Well, since I am jumping on the beach in a few weeks, it was imperative that I take the plunge. Since my DZ doesn't have a pool or swoop pond, we had to get creative.

So one of my friends brought an old harness and canopy of his, and another friend asked her ex-boyfriend if we could use his neighborhood pool. So after acing the B license exam, we headed to the pool. As soon as we got there, I put the harness on and walked to the pool with my friend holding the canopy. This dude walks up to us and asks if we parachuted in! Then later on, he freaks out when he sees me underwater with the canopy over my head! He was totally serious.

So I didn't just get my water training, I provided some entertainment.;)

How many of you did water training that actually involved water?
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I found out just recently that some places don't do actual water training. They just go over the procedures and sign off for the B license.

criminal, and lazy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How many of you did water training that actually involved water?

Me...:)
Landed in a lake and swam the gear out...had a safety boat 'putt-putt' along side, but it was real training and IMHO highlighted some things even pool training kind of glosses over...like how important it is to shed your shoes and jumpsuit immediately, and how to use your helmet or pants as a flotation device.

It's one thing to 'talk' someone through it, another to HAVE to get it done.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My first water landing was at Bridge Day 93. Landed in water about 8 feet deep, moderate current, really cold. Got out from under the canopy and started to swim. I was towing the whole canopy since I figured the boat would be there soon, but I kept swimming in case they were late.

They pulled up about 10 feet from me and just looked at me. I kept swimming towards the shore (I was about 50 feet from it) expecting them to pull alongside. Finally I said "well?"

"Stand up," the guy said. I discovered I was now in three feet of water over the sandbar.

After that, my 'actual' water training was somewhat anti-climactic.

My first water landing was at Bridge Day 93. Landed in water about 8 feet deep, moderate current, really cold. Got out from under the canopy and started to swim. I was towing the whole canopy since I figured the boat would be there soon, but I kept swimming in case they were late.

They pulled up about 10 feet from me and just looked at me. I kept swimming towards the shore (I was about 50 feet from it) expecting them to pull alongside. Finally I said "well?"

"Stand up," the guy said. I discovered I was now in three feet of water over the sandbar.

THAT is hilarious!!:D:D
Mrs. WaltAppel

I found out just recently that some places don't do actual water training. They just go over the procedures and sign off for the B license.

BUT, But, but... that's against the rules! :S People don't really pencil pass something that important do they? [:/]

I failed my first water training in a pool because of a phobia I have about getting my head under water.

I ended up forcing myself to hold my head under water several times a week for six weeks before I could try again. This time I passed in a stinky river... with sushi floating around. B|

It was the most frightening skydiving-related experience I have had yet.

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

At the old Indiantown, Florida, DZ, we would jump into a nearby canal, with a rescue boat in the water. Since no one wanted to get their good gear wet, everyone donned old round parachutes. So this now presented a problem with limited maneuverability, and out of 8 water jumpers on the load, half of them didn't even make it to the canal. Ha! I was one of the four that actually landed in the water. Oh, and the jumps were also made without shoes, so those guys that landed out, had to both land, and walk back, barefoot. And then make another jump to try for the water once again.

BUT, But, but... that's against the rules! :S People don't really pencil pass something that important do they? [:/]

I failed my first water training in a pool because of a phobia I have about getting my head under water.

I ended up forcing myself to hold my head under water several times a week for six weeks before I could try again. This time I passed in a stinky river... with sushi floating around. B|

It was the most frightening skydiving-related experience I have had yet.

I freaked out on my first opportunity to do water training. It was at Skydive Houston a few months ago. I got stuck under a raft when I was a child, so the thought of having something thrown over my head while under water frightened me.

I did fine last weekend though. I guess I just really want to jump on the beach. Plus it was about time I got my B license.
Mrs. WaltAppel

When I was in the good old United States Army we did intentional water jumps many times. We did have boat support in case people needed assistance but no one ever did. We would then swim back to shore.

For sport jumping, we also put on gear connected to an open parachute and we would jump into the deep end of the pool. Two people would then place the canopy over the jumper.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Maybe I'm a minority but my swimming is very borderline. I can swim very well underwater but as soon as my head is above the water and my feet are unable to touch the time before I drown is counting down very quickly. Call it a phobia or whatever and I've been trying to work on it but it's unlikely that I'd be able to swim 50' before drowning.

How does someone in my situation eventually qualify for the higher licenses that require a water landing???

-Michael

How does someone in my situation eventually qualify for the higher licenses that require a water landing???

well, the USPA no longer has a water landing requirement.

But the proper answer is, LEARN TO SWIM. It's truly sad to see the number of people who drown each year because they can't. Yet many of them put themselves in the 'safe part of the water.'

And until then, don't jump anywhere with a remote chance of a water landing.

We meet at a local YMCA, go over the SIM, ask questions, talk about it, then head to the pool.

Once we are told how to get out of the harness and away from the rig, one by one we put on a rig, jump in and canopies are thrown over our heads.

According to what I remember we aren't encouraged to touch the bottom of the pool (it's about 6 feet in the area we used). Then we do it again.

I don't think it should be any easier than that. Honestly, I wouldn't have any problem with them requiring us to jump from a diving platform. It would make plenty of sense to me.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I guess you old timers had it rough.;)

Maybe...or then again it could be we're still around so long 'cause the training was 'different'. :P

Twardo.....any truth to the rumor that, on your water
jump you landed beside Jesus baptizing some folks?:):D

Heck...my swoopin' the pond is where he got the whole walkin' on water idea! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

At the old Indiantown, Florida, DZ, we would jump into a nearby canal, with a rescue boat in the water...

:o

Aren't there &^%$#* aligators in those there Florida canals!!!???!

Anyway, they've got a dogh-boy (sp?) above ground pool at the DZ where I did my wet water training... so, yes, I actually got wet during water training.