skydivermom

Who got wet during water training?

The best water training (as opposed to water jump) I ever heard was on teh way to altitude in Massachusetts. The DZ was right alongside a river; water gear was required, and you were supposed to get water training (i.e. a briefing about what to do) before jumping.

So there we were on the way to altitude, and someone mentioned they'd never been officially water trained. The ASO looked at him, and said "don't drown."

I think the statute of limitations has passed on that one.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've seen a few instructors who really don't believe in the water training! "I've seen people nearly drown doing that exercise" is a common utterance, but for the most part, we do ours at Skydive KState.

We have a nice River at the end of the runway - Little Blue is it's name, methinks. Anyways, we usually just take a towel and tromp on over to the river and do it, there is a sand bar, and it's no more than 6' deep at it's deepest, a nice safe place to DO the training while not having to make a big deal about the whole production of it.
=========Shaun ==========

My water training consisted of "What do you do if you land in the water? Okay, here you go--You're signed off." But since then I've taught several water training sessions, flown an old HALO canopy behind a boat and landed it in the water a few times, and accidentally landed in the ocean on a beach jump (It was a KILLER swoop, though), so I think I'm covered.

I think practical water training is really only practical if you have the right setup. We used to do it in the DZ pool, which is only four feet deep, so I think it was hard for the students to get much out of it. The last time I taught it, I blindfolded my students and spun them around before throwing them into the pool. I figured the disorientation would somewhat compensate for the shallow water. :P

I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I did my water training last night. We did it at a place which teaches scuba diving, so the pool was plenty deep enough. All of the water training was done fully clothed ('cause who skydives wearing nothing but a bathing suit? ;)) and we went through everything several times both with the rig and also with the canopy thrown over us. Lots of fun, and I think we all learned what we were supposed to. :)

The best things in life are dangerous.

Okay,

I found out just recently that some places don't do actual water training. They just go over the procedures and sign off for the B license.

Hell, that's covered in the FJC. All Level 1s are water trained, eh?
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My first two canopy rides were water landings...

They were at the Sea Survival School... under Parasails to 700 ft and then we released the tow rope and performed a set of procedures like the raft and LPU's and we cut the canopy away when we got our feet wet.

We had a full day of water training before that in the Basin.. went uder the canopy...climbed in all the rafts....

That Saturday I was at the local DZ taking my FJC...

I have had a FEW:ph34r: water jumps and water landings since then:)