loli-75

Please push tandem student, literally?

I have never had any interest in skydiving. I never had any desire what-so-ever to do it.:( Don't kill me yet!!! Read the rest of this first.

I went with a friend a few weeks ago to watch his first tandem. Everything went fine. I don't know what happend, but after watching his video- I started thinking- I absolutely HAVE to try that!!! It's all I've been able to think about since then. I've been reading everything I can about skydiving and watching videos and reading these forums constantly.

My problem is that a lot of people who know me are trying to discourage me from doing it. They're saying I'm too much of a wuss and I'll back out and end up riding the plane back down and pissing the tandem instructor off and throwing my money away.

My question is probably a stupid one - but here goes. I want to do this more than anything. I just don't think my body is going to physically let me throw myself out of a plane. I'm not saying I'm going to be sitting on the floor with my toenails dug into the plane refusing to go - but, if I tell them it's okay beforehand (like on the ground) - will my tandem instructor be able to push me out?:D That felt weird just asking that!!

I never thought I'd actually be hoping to find a man who thinks "No really means yes":$

the tandem master is pretty much pushing you out all ready. as long as you are not grabbing things like a cat about to be pushed in a tub of water you will be out the door before you know it. I have run into a lot of situations like this and found that most people go, and if you don't It usually doesn't bother me because I get paid the same either way.:)

I am going to write you a detailed letter concerning you inquiry, and will send it to you shortly. All I will say right now is that I understand you dilemma more than you could imagine.

I send you a private message, look in the upper title bar near the "Forums" tab.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Hey!! I never thought about it like that! Well, that'll definitely help me out. I just hope that all I'll be able to say is "No!!!" and nothing more offensive!!;)

I wonder if tandem instructors have to put up with a lot of unintentional verbal abuse?

no worries!!! by the time you get to the plane of the door, you pretty much have given up control over the situation. and as long as you can accept the fact that youve given up control, then before you know it you will be flying!!! i do know how hard it is to even imagine, as i just did my first tandem about 2 weeks ago, but i promise you that despite the fear, it is 100 percent worth it. my instructor told me he would count to 3, swaying back and forth, he got to 2, i gave one last terrified look to my boyfriend (who was filming), and we fell. even now when i watch the video i point out that i had one more second and i want it back!! haha.
anyways, i hope that you do end up going, and that you have a wonderful time. keep us updated!

I'm seriously crying right now after watching that!!! I feel bad - but I'm laughing so hard I literally have tears streaming down my face!!!:D

When I first heard the screaming I thought it was the lady who had just jumped. Then when I saw it was the NEXT lady to jump - I knew there was going to be a problem! The look on the tandem instructor's face is priceless!!! Poor guy!!

I shouldn't laugh too hard - my video might end up being worse and show up on there one day!!;)

I've watched a lot of videos of tandems lately (trying to get my courage up) and I've never seen them go out backwards like that. Is that common?

I just did my first tandem 2 weeks ago. Judging from my experience, once we got to altitude everything happened so fast that I wouldn't have had a chance to chicken out, even if I'd wanted to.
Don't listen to what other people have to say. It's amazing and SO much fun!
~* Quae Sursum Volo Videre *~

Thank y'all so much for replying! I was scared everyone was going to just laugh at me and tell me not to bother going. :(

To all of yall who have been on a tandem already - do you feel like you want to throw up? And did any of yall exit the plane backwards like on that video? I had never seen that before. In all the videos I watched, they all seem to go the same way.

My first jump ever was a solo where I had to climb out on the wing and jump. It took a little willpower to let go of the wing spar when 1000 generations of evolution were telling me not to.

My 3rd jump was a tandem. To be honest I had to hold myself on the step waiting for the instructor to push me out :) This was a Cessna 182 widebody. I suspect the most difficult part as far as willpower goes will be getting into position on the step.

One final note that may help is if your DZ has a dummy rig for practise spend the most time you can practising the exit so it seems more familliar and your body is more likely to go through the motions properly.

-Michael

You'll be fine. Just go. I told my tandem instructor on the plane the first time that I wasn't sure I could make myself do it, even thought I wanted to. He said, "well, you are attached to me, and *I'm* going, so that pretty much says it." :)
And listen to Mykel (AFFI) - he knows alot about these things. He was one of my later instructors, too, and was very good.

life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

My problem is that a lot of people who know me are trying to discourage me from doing it. They're saying I'm too much of a wuss and I'll back out and end up riding the plane back down and pissing the tandem instructor off and throwing my money away.

then prove them wrong. every whuffo i knew refused to support me[:/], but i just went ahead and jumped, because thats what i wanted to do. they support me now somewhat. but you are the one who has to step up and show them.

My question is probably a stupid one

no question is stupid in this sport.

I want to do this more than anything. I just don't think my body is going to physically let me throw myself out of a plane. I'm not saying I'm going to be sitting on the floor with my toenails dug into the plane refusing to go - but, if I tell them it's okay beforehand (like on the ground) - will my tandem instructor be able to push me out?:D That felt weird just asking that!!

i have never seen a tandem student back out in the plane and ride it down. now dont get me wrong, it does happen, but not often. i think students have an urge to prove to themselves they can do this, they want to do this, and i just spent alot of money (i better do this:ph34r:). also, you dont want to let you TM down do you?(he/she needs his/her beer money:D:D)
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

I saw a video a long time ago and can't remember exactly where, but it was a tandem going out of an otter and the student freaked out and said no.

The instructor said OK, we'll just back up and sit down. He did a 180 and backed right out the door:D:o:ph34r:

I got nuthin

I've watched a lot of videos of tandems lately (trying to get my courage up) and I've never seen them go out backwards like that. Is that common?

It depends on the type of aircraft you are jumping from.
For that type of plane (skyvan) it is one of the normal exits.

I can't say that you will be able to jump once you're in the plane, but I would like too.

You seem very excited to do this, that may be enough. Go to the dropzone again and hang out for a while. watch some of the tandems land talk to some of the students. Watch your friends video again and imagine yourself doing it. ( i think youve been doing all of that already)

The instructor will not force you out against your will. You can talk to him/her and tell them your concerns and if you aren't flipping out they may go while you are screaming holy hell. But they can tell if you are fighting it for real. no instructor wants a flailing lunatic as a student.

It may help you if I said that you not the only one who is nervous. I've seen LOTS of people get the "holy shit" face. Getting to that door is freaky but the skydive is pure freedom.

I can say that I am pretty sure that you will love the skydive. But most people fear the exit....that is until they realize that the skydive is "fucking awesome"
My photos

My Videos

I saw a video a long time ago and can't remember exactly where, but it was a tandem going out of an otter and the student freaked out and said no.

The instructor said OK, we'll just back up and sit down. He did a 180 and backed right out the door:D:o:ph34r:

I shot that video - she loved it and bought a second tandem!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I wasn't sure about what DZ to go to at first, but after the responses I've gotten, it's definitely going to be Skydive Spaceland!!:)
I was laughing my ass off about the "holy shit face". I can already guarantee that I'll be wearing that one for at least a few hours before and after I jump. They totally need to add the holy shit face to the little faces you can put in messages here. (emoticons?)

Since the first exit is so scary, does that mean it's a million times easier the second time? Or is that still scary as hell too?