dunadan

harness trauma

As part of a report I'm compiling on harness suspension trauma-I was would like to know if any Tandem instructors have come across any cases of suspected harness induced trauma? And do any of you have any opinion on the types of harness used?
Any feedback greatly appreciated from anyone who has experience or knowledge to share, specifically with parachute harness's.

Harness induced trauma is caused by prolonged inactive suspension in a harness leading to pooling of the blood in the lower limbs-leading to symptoms as dizziness, nausea vomiting and fainting.

Ok, this might sound stupid to some folks in countries other than the US, but could people reply to this in the form of a PM to dunadan?

What I'm thinking is that we probably don't need to give any lawyers any ideas -- well, they probably already have the ideas, but we probably don't need to make it any easier for them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Harness induced trauma is caused by prolonged inactive suspension in a harness leading to pooling of the blood in the lower limbs-leading to symptoms as dizziness, nausea vomiting and fainting.

Sounds like a nice CReW jump too me. But you left out yelling and screaming as other possible symptoms.

As part of a report I'm compiling on harness suspension trauma-I was would like to know if any Tandem instructors have come across any cases of suspected harness induced trauma? And do any of you have any opinion on the types of harness used?
Any feedback greatly appreciated from anyone who has experience or knowledge to share, specifically with parachute harness's.

Harness trauma is at best made up. I was in a harness for NINE HOURS straight without rest. I did experience some nausea and diziness after about 7 hours, but that most likely came from vertigo induced by the rather precarious situation I was in, not the harness. At any rate, everything was aleviated as soon as I got on my feet.

If a lawyer defending against a case like this needs a witness, let me know.

Light headedness and diziness pale in comparison to the trauma offered by not wearing the harness :P

>Harness trauma is at best made up.

It is real, and I have seen it several times, including twice in an experienced jumper playing a passenger for tandem master certification purposes. It resulted in dizziness and nausea, all of which passed quickly once the passenger was on the ground. Given that, "trauma" is perhaps not the best word to describe it.

The tandem student harnesses we have been making for the last 4 years (Sigma), have gone a long way toward eliminated students getting sick or passing out. With the older harnesses, it was a real problem. Those older harnesses really should be replace as soon as possible. It will make the students much more comfortable, therefore increasing repeat and referral business, and make me more money all at the same time. (At least I'm honest about it.)

There was an excellent article in "Fire & whatchamacallit" magazine a few months back.
The basic problem is that some harnesses pinch off blood vessels in the legs, preventing blood from returning to the heart. This causes light-headedness, nausea, vomiting, fainting, shock and eventually death.
This was rarely a problem until tandems started hanging unfit students in harnesses for more than 5 minutes.

Sigma and ringed Strong tandem harnesses address this problem by raising students thighs to a more horizontal position, reducing the distance that blood has to travel to return to the heart. They also reduce pressure on large blood vessels in the inner thigh, further easing blood flow.

FWIW I did a paraglider tandem a while back and it's a *real* comfy ride compared to any skydive rig harnesses I'd been in. They have a firm seat you can slide back into in flight. I have no idea if this is practical for a system with opening shock from freefall. Landing it would probably help with the student leg raise.

I would think that any kind of paraglider 'seat' type harness would encourage a really dearched position in freefall. I'm obviously not a tandem master but that could cause some problems couldn't it?

Is there anything different about tandem passenger harnesses that cause 'trauma' or do some experienced guy's get it from sport rigs? Just curious cause I've never heard of it before.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Is there anything different about tandem passenger harnesses that cause 'trauma' or do some experienced guy's get it from sport rigs? Just curious cause I've never heard of it before.

Hell, I had exactly what was described on a rental rig doing a 5500' H&P while I finished the A reqs. Those thin crappy leg straps can be no fun in the wrong combination. I feel a bit woozy and really had to suck it up to concentrate for the landing. After a couple minutes recovery, I was fine again.

I was pressing to finish, so I went on to do 2 more jumps and they were back to the normal level of discomfort. But I was no longer very happy about renting gear.

The comfy feel sitting in the Wings harness was the major decider for me.

I would think that any kind of paraglider 'seat' type harness would encourage a really dearched position in freefall. I'm obviously not a tandem master but that could cause some problems couldn't it?

A swing seat in a flexible harness could be stowed, but making that work with webbing to absorb opening shock from an arched position would be a design challenge... and maybe not worth it compared to decent harnesses. Paragliders spend a long time in the saddle with no freefall and their gear is designed accordingly.

For years, Relative Workshop has made a freefall harness with a "swing seat" option for HAHO military operators, who may open as high as 30,000 feet, and have an half hour canopy ride. It isn't necessary for 5 minute or less canopy rides.

Can it seat two, (facing opposite directions)? ;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have had many students complain of numbness in the hands, which I assume to be a mild form of this. I have found that getting them to clench their leg muscles and relax them a few times makes the numbness go away. It may be effective at pumping the blood up or it may be purely psychosomatic, but it seems to work.