tntsawers

Phsico Packing

dont roll or tuck the nose. Just pull it out from between your legs and let it go. Then finish with the pack job like normal. This should speed up your openings a little.

Other possabilities are your slider. Is it the correct size? I'll let more experienced people discuss this option with you though.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

i jump the same main and size. I love the long openings...soooo soft. I am curious on why you would want to shorten your openings?

Faster opening canopy = More FF time. A faster opening doesn't mean it has be a slammerB|

Of course ask your instructor for further clarification. The opinion expressed is my own.:)

I had been jumping a spectre up until about 30 jumps ago....couldn't figure out to land the darn thing.....always took 600-800 ft to open....If the nose was rolled up to 1000ft. I switched out to the Pilot and my rigger packed it...rolled the nose....thing sniveled for 1200ft.:S Was glad that I had pulled higher than my norm on that jump.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Psycho packing - great for getting your d-bag into small containers & sweet openings. Great, that is, until one day you turn the canopy wrong way round after rolling it... :$ Add a Jedei to the equation and you have a 4000' spiral before the canopy's flying normal... :( Thank God for opening high when testing new canopies ;)

Leaving the nose out as mentioned previously should help. Another tip would be to not pull the slider forwards, i.e. in front of the nose.

I'd play around with my normal packjob before going psycho

A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

I had the same thing happen. I moved from a Sabre to a Pilot, rolled/tucked the nose, pulled at 5K and was in the saddle just a little higher than my then usual height.

Lesson learned: Always pull high when flying a new canopy for the first time. That was a llloooonnnggg 1200ft. I just remember wondering if the damn thing was going to ever completly pressurize. :ph34r:

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Packing is not rocket science so you're going to get lots of opinions. Here's mine...and in practice, it works well.

Spectre's seem to be vey responsive to slider positioning and nose rolling. No need for psycho packing...stick with your pro-pack.

To speed it up (assuming good line trim):

-Do not roll the nose.
-Simply push the nose into the canopy right down the middle..not deep into it.
-After you push in the nose, set the slider by pulling the nose of it out only to the point of being even with the "roundness" of the canopy as it hangs in your hand. This is a good place to start.
-Roll the tail only 4-6 rolls.

The opening speed can easily be adjusted by how much you pull out the nose of the slider when setting it. Pull it way out = slower opening, not pull it out at all will get your attention with a pop. You can adjust the slider placement by 1 inch (2.5 cm) at a time. Find your best placement and stick with it every pack job.

Side note:
Psycho packing has little, if anything, to do with opening speed. It has more to do with the ease of getting a new canopy into the deployment bag.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I am curious on why you would want to shorten your openings?

You have a hard pull/miss your pud on the first attempt now pulling at 2K with a canopy that is going to snivel 800 to 1000 feet.

and

Faster opening canopy = More FF time

I start my opening sequence at 3500. 5 seconds or so of extra freefall time is not worth reducing the window of opportunity if a problem arises. This is just our limits, we don't expect others to follow our logic. My wife has had 2 total malfunctions, and was in the saddle under reserve by 1500'...plenty of time to set up to land in a safe area....thats why we dont push it lower. If we want more freefall time, we jump again. :)

I Psycho pack and I love it. I have a Pilot. The openings are great, although my canopy still snivels about 800 - 1000'. So I'm not sure switching to Psycho packing would speed up your openings. You could try quartering the slider vs. halving the slider and see what effects that has on your opening speed, that's the easiest way I've seen to make a change in opening speed.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

My first thought would be why would you want to speed up the openings but to each his own.

I have probably 800 or so jumps on a Spectre 170. What Popsjumper told you is about right. I don't think you will get it to open much faster then 600 ft without changing out the slider for a smaller one and again comes the question of why. Opening shock puts alot of wear and tear on not only your gear but also your body. Better to spread that wear and tear over the years. If you are going to keep skydiving you are going to need it.

***5 seconds or so of extra freefall time is not worth reducing the window of opportunity if a problem arises.
If we want more freefall time, we jump again.

I have been wondering when someone would point out this ultra admirable volley of common sense.

The voice of reason...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'll tell you why I like a nice quick opening. Habit. I don't really get scared until I'm getting close to 2000' (yes, I'm that old), and I do the occasional bigway. So I'd rather have a canopy that will let me take it down to 2200' when so instructed, and that will not scare me too badly if I mess up and find myself pulling because I got scared.

I pack like that all the time because I'd rather KNOW what to expect when I dump. If it's sniveling, I want to know right away, rather than wondering if it's the "usual smooth opening" or a massive snivel.

And the timing is such that I don't hurt at the end of the day, either. That's part of the advantage of familiarity with how it opens.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I can't stand slow opening canopies. My Sabre 2 opens consistently in 500 feet, and it's plenty soft. I've jumped lots of canopies that take longer to open, and they honestly don't seem to open any softer, they just take longer. So you're just wasting altitude.

5 seconds or so of extra freefall time is not worth reducing the window of opportunity if a problem arises.
If we want more freefall time, we jump again.

I have been wondering when someone would point out this ultra admirable volley of common sense.

The voice of reason...

Not trying to argue or pick on anyone but......

You might want to reread the post

***"I start my opening sequence at 3500. 5 seconds or so of extra freefall time is not worth reducing the window of opportunity if a problem arises. This is just our limits, we don't expect others to follow our logic. My wife has had 2 total malfunctions, and was in the saddle under reserve by 1500'...plenty of time to set up to land in a safe area....thats why we dont push it lower. If we want more freefall time, we jump again."

Having a total at 3500' and sitting in the saddle on a reserve at 1500' more than one time is not the voice of reason it's the voice of denial.
One Jump Wonder

I start my opening sequence at 3500. 5 seconds or so of extra freefall time is not worth reducing the window of opportunity if a problem arises. This is just our limits, we don't expect others to follow our logic. My wife has had 2 total malfunctions, and was in the saddle under reserve by 1500'...plenty of time to set up to land in a safe area....thats why we dont push it lower. If we want more freefall time, we jump again. :)

My first reserve ride was because of a shoulder injury in FF. My first attempt to pull was at 3000 maybe a little lower and then the second and final attempt was at about 2000 before going for the silver. Think I pulled the reserve some where around 1600 to 1500 feet and was in the saddle at 1400, seeing stars :( .

I do remember one of the thoughts that was going through my head at the time I decided to go for the reserve was that I was getting low and my Stiletto snivels.

Side note:
Psycho packing has little, if anything, to do with opening speed. It has more to do with the ease of getting a new canopy into the deployment bag.

I have to disagree with this statement. After the d-bag comes off the canopy, a standard PRO pack can become immediately "un-s folded". A Psycho pack takes just a little bit longer because it has to physically unroll.

Take my canopy, PRO pack it or Psycho pack it and I'll tell you which way it was done every time.

And lets not downplay the packing "ease" factor. How many newbies have you seen who were frustrated to tears with packing? Any of them give up because it was just too much?
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Having a total at 3500' and sitting in the saddle on a reserve at 1500' more than one time is not the voice of reason it's the voice of denial.

I disagree with you. These 2 reserve rides happened on two different rigs, both packed by packers, and once on the ground, the pilot was packed (stuffed) incorrectly in BOTH cases, making for a very tough pull, if any at all. Our decesion altitude is 2000, as taught in AFF. It was at this altitude that she made her decision to go to reserve, after giving the main several pulls, checking to make sure it was not just a hard pull, again as taught in AFF. Reserves are designed to open in 300 to 500 ft. I dont follow how you think this is denial, or are you saying she was instructed incorrectly at one of the bigger DZs in the country? Really, I am curious. I dont live in denial, neither does she...your mistaked in your JUDGEMENT of us.

Side note:

I have to disagree with this statement. After the d-bag comes off the canopy, a standard PRO pack can become immediately "un-s folded". A Psycho pack takes just a little bit longer because it has to physically unroll.

Take my canopy, PRO pack it or Psycho pack it and I'll tell you which way it was done every time.

And lets not downplay the packing "ease" factor. How many newbies have you seen who were frustrated to tears with packing? Any of them give up because it was just too much?

What's to disagree with? "...little, if anything...". If you want to talk milliseconds, then that falls into the "little" category and has zero to do with the OPs question.

What's the "downplay" of which you speak? Putting words in my mouth it would appear.

Here's some words for you - Show me where PD recommends psycho or roll packing. I got a surprise for you.

Just out of curiosity, trash packing is even easier...would you recommend that for the OP or for anyone?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Just out of curiosity, trash packing is even easier...would you recommend that for the OP or for anyone?

Got back in the saddle Saturday after a 2 year lay-off :)
Got a nice linetwist on my Hurricane at 2500' and scared the bejesus out of myself before luckily kicking out of it during the first 360.

Proper Ramair Orientation - it says it all. The first steps in a psycho are the same as PRO, but please stick to PROPER packing!

Saving a minute on a packjob just ain't worth it :S
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

A Psycho pack is not the same thing as a trash pack. There is a method to it and if it's done properly I don't see what the problem is. I have had bad openings with Pro packs. Severe line twists, slammers, etc. I've had 1 slammer since I've been psycho packing and no line twists. Probably 100 jumps Pro packed and 300 psycho packed. Not saying it will be perfect every time, but this method gives me good openings and is MUCH less frustrating to me on the ground. I can even pack my brand new canopy and get it in the bag with no trouble. B|

Line twists can be caused by any number of factors and are not necessarily caused by the packing method.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091