hackish

Windows coming out of airplanes?

Once upon a time in a land far far away the co-pilot's window decided it wanted to try skydiving. This was on a pac. The aft part of the window sort of popped out and seemed to come unglued to the point that only the leading edge was fastened. Fortunately a jumper sitting in that seat held it in most of the way up and once the main door was open I really didn't care...

Anyway, I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever seen something like this before? The jump plane looked very new and it's not like it was an old beaten up POS. Being a skydiver an open window or door doesn't frighten me but for a normal airline passenger I could see them being traumatized by such an event.

Any insight?

-Michael

Someone popped the window out of the door of our Islander a month or so back. It's a quick release window and someone mistook the emergency handle for the door handle:S Some rather chilly rides to altitude followed.

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hi hackish,

You gotta be careful around open windows.

Back in the 60's there was a 180 that had the rear pilot's side window missing. A 4-way was going to altitude and the guy sitting transverse to the fuselage, wearing a piggyback rig, had his reserve pilot chute inadvertently go out the window. You can guess as to what followed that pilot chute out that window.

JerryBaumchen

Once I was up with my friend Ralph and we were just tooling around in his 172. I was in the right seat when all of sudden the windscreen failed (the windshield) and all hell broke loose. In the midst of all the flying dust and debris clogging our eyes the headliner came down over our heads. We were like two one legged men in an ass kicking contest after that.

It was a very interesting ride back to the airport . . .

NickD :)

I think here the issue wasn't one of the window being touched - it just decided to fail. It strikes me as one of those parts that shouldn't fail on an aircraft - especially a relatively new one.

I don't think any part of an airplane 'should' fail:P And if one of them has to, then in the scheme of things I'd say there were worse bits that could go.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Stuff breaks on new aircraft. PAC750s have a bunch of issues. Those things get fixed. Losing a side window doesn't seem like a major problem. Aircraft lose emergency exit windows every once in a while... can damage stuff on the ground or other parts of the aircraft when it falls off. Not a good thing, but probably almost never a very very bad thing.

Dave

I think here the issue wasn't one of the window being touched - it just decided to fail. It strikes me as one of those parts that shouldn't fail on an aircraft - especially a relatively new one.

-Michael

OMG!!! You should never get on an airplane again! It might be unsafe!

Do you seriously have nothing better to talk about?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Someone popped the window out of the door of our Islander a month or so back. It's a quick release window and someone mistook the emergency handle for the door handle:S Some rather chilly rides to altitude followed.

Very chilly, and not to say, noisy as well. It did make getting take off video easier though... ;)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

A little different than getting sucked out, this RIO's ejection seat failed during a negative "G" inverted maneuver and ended halfway out the canopy. He lived, lucky fucker.

That shit looks SUPER-sketchy! Is that a parachute straddling the tail?
I got nuthin

Yes, the pilots personnel parachute which is in a hard container on the seat deployed, it was fired by a ballistic charge or (drogue gun). Google A-6 Pilot (images) for the story.. This failure caused permanent changes in inspection procedures. NDI testing and lots of work.. Michael
Party like it's $19.99

At the 1976 World Cup, in Oudtshoorn, South Africa, we were jumping out of military DC-3's (C-47) for 8-way. There is an emergency exit window about midway up the fuselage. Someone wanted to video a team's exit through that window, and opened it up, moments before the jumpers climbed out. Well, being an emergency exit, it isn't fully hinged, so the large, metal-framed window just flew away. Fortunately it didn't decapitate the spotter. The offending country had to buy a replacement.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

OMG!!! You should never get on an airplane again! It might be unsafe!

Do you seriously have nothing better to talk about?

hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tell em, JP!!! Tell em!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Back in the 80s a Metroliner commuter aircraft lost a side window , first row, right side, while in flight at 12000 feet. Even at that relatively low altitude, the passenger sitting next to it was sucked out to his shoulders, the prop tips whirling inches from the top of his head.:o How would that be?:D

I once watched a Skyvan land at a boogie with one engine feathered. About 10 minutes later manifest announced that the Skyvan was down due to a "bird" going through the right engine. Later that day an aircraft mechanic friend of mine said lets go look at the Skyvan. As we were walking up to it he said "well that wasn't a bird strike". I asked how he could tell and he said "well...do you see any blood or feathers?....no?....do you see that window that's missing right in front of the right engine intake?

Skydive Radio