foxyflier

Diesel aircraft

Today at the Hartford AOPA expo the Cessna sales rep in front of the Cessna Diesel 172 said that Cessna has the Thielert 4.0 and is working on there own install so they can offer that engine as factory installed equipment for the 206. The Gippsland Airvan rep said that 2 airvans are being built with the Thielert 4.0 and are going to skydiving operations. How many of you operators are willing to pay $250,000 for an old converted U206F or $600,000 for a new Diesel Airvan? The POH sup for the converted 206 showed the 206 could lift probably 21 head per hour at .75 gal per head of Jet A. The Gippsland would do 20 at my estimate but with 8 per load and a nicer cabin and door.

> I wonder how Biodiesel would work in that?

For jump operations, probably just fine (although I suspect the engine's not approved for operation with B100.) The problem arises when you are using it for cruising at high altitudes where the fuel can get cold and gummy. Some aircraft now have fuel heaters to deal with this problem.

BTW the Diamond DA42 is a new, certificated diesel twin that's doing pretty well in GA circles.

If I wanted black, greasy smoke, I would go back to jumping the DC-3. The AN-2 competes with the DC-3 on start-up but the smoke vents to the starboard and the door is on the port.

:D:D:P

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

ummmm... Aren't our Turbine a/c effectively diesels? The fuel is pretty much the same stuff just a different engine;)

P.S Centurion make piston engines that run on kerosene or diesel.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Diesel aircraft engines run on jet fuel, not diesel.

If you want to be technical about it, no, a turbine engine is not at all effectively a diesel. They run on completely different thermodynamic cycles. These new aircraft diesels have a LOT of potential to really revolutionize piston aircraft. Extremely efficient, low maintenance, long life, much more environmentally friendly than avgas-burning pistons, etc. Only time will tell how they work in the long run, but this is really exciting stuff.

Dave

Diesel aircraft engines run on jet fuel, not diesel.

That had me confused. So they run on a diesel engine principle, where the compression causes the ignition, without spark plugs?

And then, I take it, that the cost savings is not so much from burning less fuel, but from the reduced maintenance and longer engine life?

Diesel and kerosene (Jet fuel) are actually not that different, depending on which standard is followed. Usually even a standard dieselengine will run on kerosene. If you want to do use it often, just ad a some lubrication. Both have about the same energy value (ca 40 MJ/Kg) but diesel have a fraction more of longer carbon chains.

If I wanted black, greasy smoke, I would go back to jumping the DC-3. The AN-2 competes with the DC-3 on start-up but the smoke vents to the starboard and the door is on the port.

:D:D:P

The Diesel 206 might have to pump some smoke to haul a bunch of POPs to alt. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02f8ZLf-WY&NR=1 The new turbo direct injection and fadec controled engines really dont smoke under normal operating conditions. Black smoke here means more power but wasted fuel.

If the airlines don't kill general aviation, diesel would be the way to go. As far as biodiesel, though, it would take me a while to get used to that smell I think.

I have been told different figures of 1 and 3 on the number of refineries currently producing avgas (anyone know for certain?), and the demand for it goes up every day, but I am sure we're not building more refineries to cover it. Something will have to give sooner or later, and not every dz can support a turbine.
Roll Tide Roll