Flyfast

Luigi Cani attepmting the World Record with a VX37

>I dont see many people trying what he is doing with such a little canopy . . .

Which is a good thing! You can survivably land nearly any canopy by choosing your conditions carefully; many people I know could likely land a 4 to 1 loaded canopy in water with few ill effects. It will be useful to get data from flight at such extremes, but more of an interesting experiment and less of an amazing accomplishment.

Also, I hope such an experiment with a 4.3 to 1 loaded canopy will not convince people that 2 to 1 loaded canopies have now become a bit more landable/forgiving/suitable for intermediates.

just a little off topic note, Ted Strong(owner of Strong Enteprises) jumped a 14sq/ft canopy during testing for his military Screamer project. He didn't land it, but it shook him a lot ;)

You can hear him talking about it on Skydiveradio show #8 from approx 43min into the show. Details are there.

Direct link to Skydiveradio show #8 is here:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/skydiveradio/sr8_09_27_05s.mp3
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

From watching him land his hankerchief on a few occasions.... There is no way he was anywhere near freefall speed when doing his 180 turn on approach to land.
It is fast and makes a pretty awesom sound but it is still a canopy that does the job of a wing.

I am not arguing with you Scott, more agreeing if what you say.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Having seen Luigi land his 39 on several occasions,very impressive ,i was led to believe that in the hook turn he has reached a max speed of 117mph which is freefall speed.
My own freefall speed range is from about 103 to 135 so 117 is more than enough to say it is ,at sometime, during the canopy ride reaching freefall speeds.
Anyways why dont you just ask Luigi!
:P

Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

You might be right. To me it just did not look like freefall speed on that final hook turn.... saying that though, when he lands at Hinton they get him to land through a gap of about 10 meters so maybe he is just more careful.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

You might be right. To me it just did not look like freefall speed on that final hook turn.... saying that though, when he lands at Hinton they get him to land through a gap of about 10 meters so maybe he is just more careful.

10 meters wide?

Competition entry gates are 5 feet high and 10 feet wide.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Loic in his wingsuit docked on Luigi if I am not mistaken. Loic was in freefall (albeit in a wingsuit, granted), which means Luigi's glide ratio was similar to Loic's (in a wingsuit),

Just to be picky, it was Jeb Corliss who docked on Luigi (that is, if you're talking about the January 2005 cover photo of PARACHUTIST). Loic took the photo.

Good luck Luigi! Be safe, amigo!
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Just to be picky, it was Jeb Corliss who docked on Luigi (that is, if you're talking about the January 2005 cover photo of PARACHUTIST). Loic took the photo.

watch the whole video/photo set again...
If jeb docked, then Loic flew circles around.. and multi-docked:|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

in the video of the Xaos 21 the canopy looked like it was in a steep dive most of the time. Was the pilot doing that on purpose to match the wingsuits, or is that just how a canopy that small flies?

might have a part of the trim of the canopy, but just imagine the drag Jeffro represents for such a small canopy...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have a question...

in the video of the Xaos 21 the canopy looked like it was in a steep dive most of the time. Was the pilot doing that on purpose to match the wingsuits, or is that just how a canopy that small flies?

not sure what kind of canopy you're flying right now and how many times you've downsized so far but smaller canopies certainly burn altitude much faster. when i was doing AFF my instructor had downsized to a xaos 78 or something like that and i overheard her saying how it would open and then a few seconds later she was on the ground ;) . i think you get the gist.

competition gates do not have a wooden fence 5 metres before entry to through the gate and the gates are not made out of a big steel and wooden manifest hut and a big thick hedge with many more wooden obsticles around it.
I t was less than 10 meters wide.
here is a still grab.... Not very good but you can see the obstacles. Just realise on the left is a bush with a gathering of people down both sides in a line to watch.

I am yet to see anyone entering this canopy in the competition either.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Good luck Luigi! Be safe, amigo!

If you really want to be picky about the "dock", do some more research and you'll see that Jeb should have been taking the pictures. ;)

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Having seen Lugi jump and land the 39 on several occasions, it is indeed impressive but I doubt the 2 sq ft reduction in canopy size is going to be much of a challenge for him.

I have to agree in concept, but with the caviat that there is some point where these just become unlandable. Although it's only 2 square feet, it's still over 5% of the total size.

I don't imagine he'll have a problem with it, but if we continue down this path of reasoning, "just a sq foot at a time", eventually we're at a 10 sq foot canopy. It's gotta give at some point.

Thoughts?

Having seen Lugi jump and land the 39 on several occasions, it is indeed impressive but I doubt the 2 sq ft reduction in canopy size is going to be much of a challenge for him.

I have to agree in concept, but with the caviat that there is some point where these just become unlandable. Although it's only 2 square feet, it's still over 5% of the total size.

I don't imagine he'll have a problem with it, but if we continue down this path of reasoning, "just a sq foot at a time", eventually we're at a 10 sq foot canopy. It's gotta give at some point.

Thoughts?

Ultimately the vertical decent rate will just be so much greater than the horizontal rate that it will make it unlandable...2 things allow a canopy to be landed safely: slow vertical decent, or fast horizontal decent. Once you start dropping out of the sky like a brick you will end up with a nasty outcome.

Technology and talent are a cool combination, but physics will kick its ass everytime.

Keep in mind I am plowed right now so I am not even sure if what i said makes sense.

Does anyone know the wingloading he flies the 39 at? Is this more about him being a badass canopy pilot, or weighting 110 lbs, because he has both going for him. I want to see a midget under a 20 sq ft canopy.

IIRC Luigi has typically worn quite a bit of lead in the past jumps on the VX39 to set the wing loading where he wants.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Does anyone know the wingloading he flies the 39 at? Is this more about him being a badass canopy pilot, or weighting 110 lbs, because he has both going for him. I want to see a midget under a 20 sq ft canopy.

IIRC Luigi has typically worn quite a bit of lead in the past jumps on the VX39 to set the wing loading where he wants.

Yep. Not sure how much, but I think maybe 30 lbs? I could be way off.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban