PLFXpert

Jeb Corliss to Demonstrate Live on Today Show Tomorrow

I fail to see what landing a particular wingsuit without a parachute has to the same.

Especialy since we'll have anti-gravity guns in the near future and we'll be able ot shoot it at the ground and slow our descent.
My photos

My Videos

Perhaps I'm far too analytical to comprehend, but Neil Armstrong's "first" had some sort of practicality for future reference. I fail to see what landing a particular wingsuit without a parachute has to the same.

It definitely does not have the same value to the world, but I highly doubt that there is not some form of ego in the drive and aftermath of "the first guy to walk on the moon". There are other examples of firsts, this was just the one that came to mind, one that involved training, investment, self sacrifice, and a touch of ego.

Also, if it's "growing interest and gaining investment" in the sport you're after, I might have chosen a different spokesmodel (even if he/she were doing the exact same stunt) for various reasons--or at least trained him in audience relatability.

Unfortunately, we have chosen those people, and despite what we pay them, they are not the ones that are being seen on every major network. Kind of makes me think that if we want our collective voice to be heard in a form that is not Jeb, then we need a better spokesperson and better PR team at USPA headquarters. Regardless of disagreement, they are the closest thing that we have to a common voice that there is.

Jeb is not stepping in front of other jumpers or spokespeople for jumping to get these interviews...there is nothing stopping anyone else from gaining press coverage other than the fact that they aren't doing anything that the media deems as remarkable. He is doing something that we are not, and he is reaping the benefits.

I have never heard him say anything about stepping up as a representative of this sport, just about himself, what drives him, what gets him off, what he's done, and what he hopes to accomplish. Regardless, though, we have the right to put anyone up there that we want, assuming that we earn that right. He has earned the place where he is through nobody's efforts but his own...nobody has handed it to him, and therefore, he has the floor.

-S

Perhaps I'm far too analytical to comprehend, but Neil Armstrong's "first" had some sort of practicality for future reference. I fail to see what landing a particular wingsuit without a parachute has to the same.

I'm sure that there were practical benefits to Neil Armstrong's landing on the moon, but what ever they were they didn't justify doing it a lot more. A few times sure, but the novelty wore off.

It was fun to watch the moon landing at the time, as I'm sure Jeb's first landing will be too. Even if it doesn't get repeated a whole lot.

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

It was fun to watch the moon landing at the time, as I'm sure Jeb's first landing will be too. Even if it doesn't get repeated a whole lot.

Still, not the same thing.

(I liked your first response better.) :P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

How high is the concepted ramp height?

I'm not a base jumper, but I would think that with a base rig and with a fast or no slider and a high enough ramp, he could potentially deploy a parachute at the ramp height, if he missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GufHPcYE8-s

With a wingsuit, large mesh slider, and BASE canopy you can pull pretty low but a pilot chute hesitation would really stink. Robert doesn't unstow his brakes in the linked video, but the canopy appears to be flying into a strong head wind.

does he have the requisite 'respect' for all those who came before HIM.....?????
or for the sports of B A S E and Wingsuiting???....

Yes.

People may not like him because of personality conflicts, but IMO Jeb has "put in the time", learned and become the best because he listened and respected those that have come before him, and has worked hard being self motivated to gain the skils and abilities he has.

He is about as far from being a "Rock Star" as he can be.

i was only going from my 'gut instincts', based on what i have seen of him in the media...

And I think that's much of the reason he's been getting so much flack. I honestly believe that if Jeb could make this happen without having to resort to fund raising and using media to do that, he would. But he can't so he's exposing him self to criticism in the pursuit of his dream.:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

.... somethin' about the guy.... that i don't like.....

seems kinda like a spoiled kid, who needs to "be first"... not only in any sort of accomplishment, but also in terms of getting attention.....

does he have the requisite 'respect' for all those who came before HIM.....?????
or for the sports of B A S E and Wingsuiting???....

i'm NO expert at either discipline, but a lot hangs in the balance of this supposed, 'event'...:|

jmy

I don't know the guy myself, but I will guess that he has the requisite respect for the trail-blazers that went before him, but maybe not so much for the followers that demand respect purely for the fact that they have been around longer.
From what I can see Corliss is an attention whore who uses the attention to further his goals; he is one of those guys who needs to be out there on the bleeding edge, like Boenish, like De Gayardon, like Cani and Jean-Albert. I may or may not enjoy the company of the guy if I met him (I am guessing the intensity of the guy would not allow indifference) but I admire his accomplishments and envy his drive to be the best.

Jeb attention whore? Hardly! Try down to earth and a bit reclusive but approachable. He might be on your load and you might not even know it.

One of the best things about Jeb is that with what he has accomplished he does not act like some of the fools that have done.... well basically nothing... that have super high self proclaimed and intense personalities on these forums and on the DZ.... without any real juice to back it up. If he is intense, its internal and poses you no harm. I barely know the guy but he seems to be on good terms with the people that do some of the things he does or fly in like circles.

I'm not a base jumper, but I would think that with a base rig and with a fast or no slider and a high enough ramp, he could potentially deploy a parachute at the ramp height, if he missed it.

With no slider at terminal, the parachute system would not work. It would basically explode and probably injure the jumper severely in the process.

I'd bet that the ramp height is intentionally designed to allow an abort if things aren't looking good, using a mesh slider. With a mesh slider and significant forward speed (to put the deployment behind, rather than above, the jumper) you can probably pull at about 200 feet and survive (yes, I've got the video of that happening).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You know... I watched a video of a BASE jump where the guy "went in" with nothing out, but lived because he hit a steep snow covered hill... It was a wingsuit jump..... The landing looked like the worst ski jump wipeout you could walk away from.

I wish I could find the video. I don't even remember where I saw it. Maybe Tom A would know, he seems to have a good collection of stuff like that.

Anyway - I hope that video gets leaked the same day Jeb tries - so they can say, "Sorry Jeb, you were technically the second, not the first." Oh, and didn't someone skip across a river once too with nothing out and live? Or was that a dream?

Anyway.... I might be wrong, but I think this has been done before....

Jeb might slide by the bad karma if he adds the word "intentional" before first wingsuit landing....

Seriously injured, but was back jumping a year or so later.

I believe Jeb's plan is to perform the stunt then pack and head to the bar for some chicken strips with the option to do it again right away... thats what he said on the Colbert show. God I love that show!

Does Colbert remind anybody of Jim Wallace or is it just me?

I don't know what you all think but it occurred to me that landing with the aid of a tunnel or a slope of some kind isn't really landing in the true sense of the word. We land every day with the aid of purpose built equipment a parachute. Don't get me wrong, it's going to be a cool STUNT and I hope he pulls it off. I just don't see it as getting us any closer to jumping flying about and landing without a parachute. With the cost to construct the ramp and the skills needed to hit the hole, I just don't see this happening on any kind of scale anytime soon. Go Jeb.

Nope, you just missed it (though I'm sure video will soon be available online).

VERY cool! B|:)
Jeb did a wonderful job talking to the news anchors and expressing the real joy he felt during and after the jump.

Yea!

They just landed, and it looked great. Luigi was there with (I think) the 37, and he and Jeb did a canopy/wingsuit flock.

Jeb had his helemt wired for sound, and was explaining what he was doing during the entire jump, even answering some questions from the fat weather guy, who kept calling him 'Jeff'.

So the Today show opened with cool wingsuit video in the opening package for the show. The hosts (Kattie and Matt) were very complimentary, even though the word "Dare Devil" was used a lot...

I was happy...

THEN...

The first interview of Jeb at 7:20 he brings out his Empire States Building Lawyer and start discussing why he is suing the Empire States Building for being an "Attractive Nuisance". He lawyer said, "We believe the owner had the responsibility to install a metal mesh to prevent people from being attracted to the building."

I tivoed it and rewound it so I could get the following words right: "We have added a cause of action, affirmative defense, of attractive nuisance, which should preclude them completely from any recovery as result of the fact they were not blameless and their conduct and their failure to safeguard people created this situation."

"Jeb, putting up mesh would put you out of the BASE jumping business, wouldn't it?"

Jeb: "No, because I could still pull permits to do it for TV shows."

So - I woke up with a positive spirit, but again, Jeb managed to lose all my respect by bringing his lawyers, and allowing the Empire States Building lawsuit to be part of this story... He could have simply said "no comment".... Instead he opened a whole new BASE can of worms by putting blame on the object owner. AND... He broke the rule of BASE - where BASE jumpers never expect others to protect them from themselves.

I look at this with the question of: "Is Jeb bringing positive press to our group?" And I keep questioning the answer.

The first interview of Jeb at 7:20 he brings out his Empire States Building Lawyer and start discussing why he is suing the Empire States Building for being an "Attractive Nuisance".

That really turned me off, as well. I'm sure we can all agree Jeb was not attempting to jump off the ESB because of his concern for how easy it is for suicide jumpers to do so. :S

I was perfectly annoyed, but then pleasantly surprised when he moved on from that discussion and his demeanor changed. His excitement during the wingsuit jump appeared sincere & genuine, and he was even a little humble. And it was a great jump (except his exit looked a little botched to me, but what do I know about exiting in a wingsuit)! So, I'm happy to end on that note. :)
Answering the news anchor's questions in freefall was really, very cool. B|

The first interview of Jeb at 7:20 he brings out his Empire States Building Lawyer and start discussing why he is suing the Empire States Building for being an "Attractive Nuisance".

That really turned me off, as well. I'm sure we can all agree Jeb was not attempting to jump off the ESB because of his concern for how easy it is for suicide jumpers to do so. :S

I was perfectly annoyed, but then pleasantly surprised when he moved on from that discussion and his demeanor changed. His excitement during the wingsuit jump appeared sincere & genuine, and he was even a little humble. And it was a great jump (except his exit looked a little botched to me, but what do I know about exiting in a wingsuit)! So, I'm happy to end on that note. :)
Answering the news anchor's questions in freefall was really, very cool. B|

I wonder if he was, not necessarily forced, but maybe pushed to discuss the ESB incident by the folks at the Today show. Something like "well, if you want to do this live demo and get your fundraising publicity, it would really help us out if we had something controversial to talk about, so how about we bring on your lawyer and talk a bit about the ESB incident?"

I personally don't have any hard feelings about Jeb. I think what he's trying to accomplish is great, even if it is just a stunt, it will still be remarkable. I'm sure he knows that all the flack he's getting, even from within his own community, is part of what comes with being a public personality.

And yes, he caught his right foot on the door when exiting, but he quickly recovered from it.

Especialy since we'll have anti-gravity guns in the near future and we'll be able ot shoot it at the ground and slow our descent.

"Not a good analogy."

Who said anything about an analogy? I was being ridiculous with that response.
My photos

My Videos