SkyPainter

Jumping shoes/sneakers

Here's a real clueless newb question - what kind of sneakers/shoes are recommended for jumping? I have seen vids of people jumping in all sorts of footwear, but I would think that a good pair of hightop sneaks with decent ankle support might be better than low-cut Chucks.

Is it just whatever you feel comfortable jumping in?

Thanks!

Safe Landings -

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Safest answer is for you to contact the dropzone that you'll be jumping at and see what they request you wear.
Personally, I jump running shoes. They offer a good amount of support without being too clunky. You'll see some people jumping sandals or barefoot, though I would definitely not recommend that until you've got your landings down to a science. Boots are generally not recommended, as they tend to have grommets and hooks and whatnot that lines could get snagged on.

Most people jump with whatever feels comfortable.

Personally I jump in vans because they look awesome when I'm decked out, and they are soooo comfy.

Some people will recommend boots and the like in case you have to land in less-then-smooth terrain. I have landed out in funky situations and think you should ask yourself:

"would I be satisfied landing into tallgrass w/ rocks and angled terrain in these shoes?"

Thanks! I think I will get some high-top B-Ball sneaks with some good ankle support to begin with. Makes sense to me. It the DZ wants something else, then I will go out and get those. I have martial arts sneaks that are high-tops, but too flexible, and not a wide sole.

Hmmm...Nike, or Addidas......dunno

Thanks!

Chaaaz, AKA SkyPainter
SkyPainter

pretty much anything that's comfortable and you don't mind losing will work.

though, if you ever do any CRW you don't want any buckles or lace hooks.

i jump in beat up Vans, i make sure to double knot them before jumping and i have an extra pair with my gear just in case.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Make sure you pick a pair that's all matchy-matchy with your gear; you'll skydive better because you'll look and feel so damn cool. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Make sure you pick a pair that's all matchy-matchy with your gear; you'll skydive better because you'll look and feel so damn cool. ;)

It's all about being stylish
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I bought those at least 5 years ago at the Nike Outlet store for about $10. Now I wish I would have bought all of them in my size because I can't find any more navy and magenta colored sneakers!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I bought those at least 5 years ago at the Nike Outlet store for about $10. Now I wish I would have bought all of them in my size because I can't find any more navy and magenta colored sneakers!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's had this idea. The ONLY pair of Nike running shoe I ever found to fit me are these:

http://www.famousfootwear.com/product.asp?product_id=1010834&variant_id=33907?CMP=KNC-Adwords&partnerid=Adwords&cpc=Adwords&campaign=FF-Nike&hbx_ou=50&cpckw=Nike%20Xccelerator&hbx_pk=Nike%20Xccelerator

So when the time comes (in a year or so) those are my custom gear colors - I didn't even know I liked the combination. I will be using neon yellow instead of gold, though.

By the way, Skymama - I'm buying up as many pairs as I can afford! ;):D
T.I.N.S.

I prefer the "support" and style of my Transformers light up velcro shoes. I avoid the infamous shoe wedgie, and the light up soles keep those around me in the plane entertained.;)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all who wander are lost.

...though, if you ever do any CRW you don't want any buckles or lace hooks...

That's very true for CRW, but it really applies to all jumping. Lace hooks were responsible for several fatalities way back in the day, due to snagging pilotchutes that wandered into the foot area. That is just as real a possibility today with a student or noobie making a sleezy PC deployment.

When it comes to boots, also avoid the ones with big lugs on the soles. These can catch more easily on weeds and stuff on the ground, causing falls or ankle injury.

Kevin K.

You need to be sure you can POINT YOUR TOES!

if you can successfully point your toes in high tops, then by all means, go ahead. i have an issue with that personally, so i always jump in my vans. toe and foot movement is important, especially if you're learning.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

thats why I keep going low, Dam time to shop lol

I would only thing the ones that would not do well would be cleats , golf shoes, track shoes with spikes lol
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I jumped in skate shoes a bunch. The flat, smooth sole makes for some great sliding landings ;)

But one day I was wearing my Addidad sneakers, and got called to jump when a spot opened up on a load. As I was throwing my rig on running to the plane, I didn't have time to change shoes, and I likes it even better.

They are indoor soccer shoes, so they have a tight fit, but smooth sole. I love them for jumping.

Basicly, as long as you can point your toes, and aren't going to snag lines/pilot chute/terrain, go for it.

I like my tennis shoes, but I did lose one on my first tandem jump last year. Very interesting how it flew right off my foot upon aircraft exit :) Now I tie those things up extra tight.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

Now I tie those things up extra tight.

I double knot mine and sometimes they still manage to get untied! :S

I like my tennis shoes, but I did lose one on my first tandem jump last year. Very interesting how it flew right off my foot upon aircraft exit :) Now I tie those things up extra tight.

I've seen many tandem students with their laces flying in the breeze. :D Makes for great video as it gives their whuffo friends a sense of the speed the pair is going. (long hair does this too...but I feel kinda sorry for the TM when they're enveloped in it. :ph34r:)

As for losing shoes, the only ones I've personally seen is a CReW wrap. The unlucky gimp taught me a lesson that day...Always keep a spare pair in your car for episodes like this. :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Decided I will wear the Martial Arts shoes/sneaks for the jump(s). They have high, flexible tops (can point the feet (whether placing a high snap head kick or fly in the iar!) with ribbed - not lugged - soles that I can slide, and then run-out a landing if necessary in! No hooks, nothing to snag ( MA refs hate equipment cuts!) and they are familiar to me. Plus, they look kewl as hell! Black and gold with gold laces - colors of the Army's Golden Knights Team! Hoo-Ahh! (Made by Addidas).

Thanks for all the idea, folx. This community ROCKS!

Safe Landings always -

SkyPainter
SkyPainter