napvid

Would you still jump with your.....

I’ve done one jump without a Cypres. It was with borrowed gear, exiting low, in an urban area, at night, from an unfamiliar plane, with a 25 lb. bag attached to my chest with a giant flag in it. I think it was called a “demo.” What could possibly go wrong? ;)

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

If you have the cypres removed during your reserve repack and it comes back a month later, is it another repack to reinstall it?

The rigger who seals the reserve container assumes responsibility for the back job.

Usually, that means the rigger who last repacked it will open, re-install a cypres, and re-close for a lot less than they'd charge for a repack.

Any responsible rigger other than the one who did the last repack will do a full inspect + repack when asked to reinstall a Cypres.

Personally I would, but I promised my wife I wouldn't, so I checked the "no" box. My first 1600 jumps, after I got off student status were without an AAD, so I don't have much of a psychological hurdle. A promise is a promise though.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I did one once but only so I could return from Florida with 69 jumps instead of 68. I prefer not to. I'm fortunate at this moment that someone with 2000+ jumps has loaned me his Vigil so I can jump my rig until mine arrives. Like an audible I don't rely on the AAD to open something for me but long term survival in this sport seems to rely on never letting your level of caution lapse. Those who think "it won't happen to me" should take a cruise through the incidents forum. I notice a number of incidents are from people who went in with no AAD.

-Michael

This sort of thing makes me wonder - I've got close to 5000 jumps and have never been hit in freefall, never been close to unconscious, nothing even vaguely of the sort.... Never even been dizzy.

Don't you actually have to HAVE freefall for that to be an issue? :P

It really makes me think that people are being far more aggressive because they have AAD's than they would be if they didn't.

I think so (to an extent), as well - if you wouldn't do the jump WITHOUT an AAD, why would an AAD make it any safer?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Along with the poll question, my other question is if you do jump without the cypress is there anything you would do different while jumping.

If you can answer yes to this question, you shouldn't be on that jump.

And who did you the disservice of making you think AAD's are a required item, once off student status?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My first few hundred jumps were without a cypres, so no problem.

(Here's a shocker for you - if my cypres failed startup, I would still jump and fix it later!)

Ah, but that would be a violation of the FAR's in the US.

You can leave it off for sure, but a failed start-up indicates a fault, which means it is not functioning as per the manufacturers instructions, thus requiring maintenence.

B|

In case anyone want's to copy you Billvon:

Service Bulletin
January 2008
Issue date: 22.01.2008
Bulletin number: C1/2 0108

Subject: Neccessary actions in case of an unsuccessful or incomplete selftest, Cypres1 and Cypres2.

Identification: All Cypres1 and Cypres2 units, all versions, in case of unsuccessful or incomplete selftest and/or switch-on procedure.

Background:
On the 29th of December 2007 in Eloy, AZ, USA a Cypres2 unit activated a few seconds after exit. The Cypres showed problems with the switch-on several times the days before. An attempt to
switch on the unit before the skydive was made, and nothing was seen on the display, but it was decided to use the parachute anyway. Fortunately there were no injuries.
The technical inspection in Germany showed that this incident was a result of several factors.
A very abnormal power supply defect (transient battery voltage before failure) in combination with a specific flight situation made this activation possible.
After days of reconstructing and testing, we judge this as a very unique scenario. We tested a very high number of batteries in our house without any findings. There are no reports of similar
cases.

Service Bulletin:
Please always observe the complete selftest until the „0“ appears.
In the event an error code is displayed, please consult the appropriate CYPRES User's Guide for appropriate action(s).
In the event that there are any irregularities or conditions during the selftest and/or switch-on procedure, which are not explained in the CYPRES User's Guide (such as unknown error codes or numbers, missing numbers, no red light, blank display, etc.) – please contact Airtec or SSK before the next jump.

Compliance date:
Effective immediately.

Authority:
Airtec GmbH & Co. KG
Kai Koerner
Tel: +49 2953 989948
Fax:+49 2953 1293
[email protected]
Mittelstrasse 69
33181 Bad Wuennenberg
Germany

Distribution:
All dealers
Parachuting publications
Parachute Industry Association

....same here.. I have my main rig with one and my swoop/pond rig without. I have jumped both rigs equally when back to backs are called for for video etc.... I used to segregate more and I would still do so, choosing the main rig with AAD knowing I was going on a zoo dive/large freefly jump etc. but I have to admit, it has become less and less of an issue in the back of my mind.... and I have pulled both handles 4 times (I am one of those jumpers - it seems - that brings the average down for those who go 3000 jumps w/o a cutaway... yeah... lucky me!!!) and was always under my reserve above 2K.... I realize this is no way to guage the safety of not jumping with an AAD but it does, incorrectly or not, leave me with assurance that I know what to do when it comes down to it... Having a mid-air collision in freefall is always a possibility... so are so many variables in this sport that can kill you. I find that checking my rig for obvious packing or "gearing up" mistakes takes up a lot more of my concern than the AAD. I probably look at my cheststrap 10x before I exit... not to mention handles , bridle routing, pin position, overall inspection at the beginning of the day etc etc... and you'd be surprised how many jumpers worry about their AAD being on while boarding the plane with their cheststrap undone.... go figure....

Along with the poll question, my other question is if you do jump without the cypress is there anything you would do different while jumping.

Your right that was a silly question. Plan the jump, jump the plan and nothing different.

And who did you the disservice of making you think AAD's are a required item, once off student status?

I did know that AAD's are not required for licenced jumpers. It's just that I have never jumped with out one so it never crossed my mind. And now with having to send it out for service, I have this uneasy feeling that I'm removing a important safety feature from my rig. Why wouldnt I want every possible safety feature on every jump I make? I mean should I just think of it as spare parts that I dont really need?

One thing I hear constantly hear is that you can do every thing right and still meet your maker. I can't think of the saying right now, I think it's Murrphy's Law or somthing but it refers to that one time you change something and it comes back to bite you in the ass.

Nap
“As you know, these are open forums, you’re able to come and listen to what I have to say.” –George W. Bush, 10.28.03.

I'm glad you're thinking.

There is NOTHING wrong with your desire to not jump without your AAD, it's your jump, your gear, and your life. I happen to feel differently about it, but your choice is just that, yours.

I will say that you can do everything right while wearing an AAD, and still get bit.......

One tip for getting your Cypres unit back sooner in the US is ship it next day air. SSK ships back the same way it was recieved, or however requested (or at least they used to) and that can save 3 to 4 days transit each way.

No, I'd prefer not to.

Right now I'm waiting for my Cypres to arrive before I get my rig assembled and go back back to jumping after my surgery.

A friend of mine went in a few years ago - Doing back-to-back jumps with 2 rigs, one with a Cypres and one without. Turned out when he needed it, the Cypres was in the rig on the ground. Lost another friend earlier that same year, again a Cypres would have saved her, too.

Check - SSK may be able to set you up with a loaner.

Easy Does It

What he said. If a particular skydive scares you enough that you think you might need an AAD, the correct response is not to get an AAD, but rather to not go on that jump.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Well, that depends where you jump ....

From the Empuriabrava web site..

EQUIPMENT

- It is mandatory for all skydivers to have a working AAD fitted to their rigs. AAD type “FXC 12000” or similar models are not accepted for Freefly.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I don't have an AAD, and as such I jump my rig without one.

I use my hand in conjunction with my eyes in conjunction with my wrist mount in conjunction with my audible.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I spent an entire summer with my Cypress in the shop. Among other things, I went on the NW record RW jump, a 69 way. Not exactly the time you want your aad in the shop.:D

Oh well, made lots of jumps for lots of years without one, learning RW as we went. Somehow I survived.:P

I do miss a lot of old friends that AAD's would have saved.[:/]

I don't have an AAD, and as such I jump my rig without one.

I use my hand in conjunction with my eyes in conjunction with my wrist mount in conjunction with my audible.

I have an AAD, and as such i jump with one.

I used my hand in conjuction with my wallet, in conjuction with my brain, in conjuction with all those who have died without one.

Conjuction Junction, what's YOUR function?:|

During my brief tenure in this sport I have had two very significant mid air collisions (one was my fault and the other was someone elses) both made me see stars and damn near rendered me unconscious.

This sort of thing makes me wonder - I've got close to 5000 jumps and have never been hit in freefall, never been close to unconscious, nothing even vaguely of the sort.... Never even been dizzy.

Of course the majority of those jumps I never had an AAD. It really makes me think that people are being far more aggressive because they have AAD's than they would be if they didn't.

Here is a video of one of the jumps, I am the guy in the base that gets clobbered.
www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=brkhh

If the link does not work:

www.skydivingmovies.com
Search for: Weakmindedfool
Select "Learn"

:D

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Good question made me stop and think and realise how my opinions have changed over the years.

I jumped for almost 20 years without one and did not have a problem with that. Now I think I would properly jump without one if it was with people I knew and at my home dropzone on a Sunday afternoon type jump, but if I was heading to a Boogie or training camp I would look to borrow one. Hopefully with my Vigil 2 this should not become an issue.
Totally Free Skydiving Software/blue]
www.strollerweb.co.uk
www.gravity-power.com

if you do jump without the cypress is there anything you would do different while jumping.

Only time I ever jumped one was doing tandems.

Since I don't have one, I always make sure no one is strapped to the front of me B4 I jump. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

4 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of jumping without my AAD. In Dec. I pulled it out for it's 4 year service, didn't have the extra money right then, so I jumped without it for 6 months and have finally decided to sell it to a friend. :S

Old age ain't no place for sissies!