skydiverek

Highest number of jumps prior to FIRST reserve ride?

had one at 43, none in the last 900... sounds like im due for another one. what is it, about 1 in 600 or so?

I jumped with a guy last season that had 63 reserve rides, mostly from tandems.
confucious say: he who stands on top of toilet gets high on pot.

There was an article in Parachutist or Skydiving (about a year or so ago) about a guy who had just made his 10,000 sport jump w/o a reserve ride. He had a few tandem chops, but none on his sport rig(s). As far as I remember, he's the only one to make it to 10 grand chop free. I remember 2 things he said in the article which seem to contradict each other. He said he takes a fix-it-before-it-breaks attitude toward his gear. And he said he's not picky about who packs for him. Go figure.

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

If intentional chops don't count then I had none until I started doing tandems... have chopped on Strong (wasn't the gear, Ted) & on Vector (again, wasn't the gear, Bill) but not on Sigma yet...
I remember when Egon at The Relative Workshop had 2 tandem chops one after the other one Saturday morning... I told the students that he's had more chops than they have jumps, that morning only !!! :ph34r:

I've heard of the one guy who went over 10,000 jumps without a cutaway. Me, I had a spinning tension knot mal on my 400th jump, the only mal I've had to cutaway in 1100+ jumps.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Neal Beverly, an ex-golden knight and former national style and accuracy champion went 5000 before his first ride. Oddly, it was a broken control line on a beat up Sabre 150 and he could have easilly landed it, but needed a chop for his upcoming tandem course. Neal works at CrossKeys these days.

There was an article in Parachutist or Skydiving (about a year or so ago) about a guy who had just made his 10,000 sport jump w/o a reserve ride.

Also, Charles Bryan's profile in Parachutisty few months ago said that he had no cutaways in first 9,000 or so jumps, and then had 3 in one week...