skydiverek

Highest number of jumps prior to FIRST reserve ride?

A friend of mine went 12,000 before he had a cutaway on a tandem rig. He's at close to 15,000 now and no sport cutaways.

WOW- that is truly impressive! BTW, anyone knows the number of reserve rides for Don Kellner and Bill Dause, who have around 35,000 and 30,000 skydives, respectively?

I jumped with a guy last season that had 63 reserve rides, mostly from tandems.

Either someone is a little handle happy, or they need a new packer.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I made it to 1138 before my first cutaway under a tandem rig. With almost 1900 total now and no cuts on my sport rig. I have almost 1000 sport rig jumps with no cutaways, but I do jump conservative do to a bad back. I haven't run across anyone who waited that long yet.
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

I'm not going to make it...

4502 dives, 18 cutaways... :)

t

that's one in every 250 ...

Yeah. WAY better than my reserve mal stats - one in 18.
Mains are statistically MANY times more reliable than reserves for me - and always will be.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Yeah. WAY better than my reserve mal stats - one in 18.

So you are saying you have 18 reserve rides - and one reserve was a mal? Would you mind sharing info on that mal - or link to a thread where it was already discussed?

I had 19 that was in 1978 and had a line over on a paracommander since i been back in the sport havent even seen a reserve,

Wait a minute, 3yrs in the sport 68 jumps an 19 cutaways. Man some things wrong somewhere.

Gone fishing

i asked don about it once and he said he didn't keep track.. usually 1 or 2 a year... but that's nowadays.... back in when squares first came out i'm sure it was far far higher.

pip redvers has 15000+ jumps and no sport cutaways... though he does have 4 tandem reserve rides and 5 tandems mals

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

out for 1094 jumps i had 4 cutaways and one two out

1. 29 jump two out on a fxc fire
2. 126 jumps cut away two lines broken
3. 498 jumps cut away line triwit
4. 849 jumps cut away line over
5. 1084 jumps cut away three lines broken
----------------------------------------------
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. J. R. T.

i asked don about it once and he said he didn't keep track.. usually 1 or 2 a year... but that's nowadays.... back in when squares first came out i'm sure it was far far higher.

Woah! That is not right! It is definitely not 1 or 2 a year, but I will have to go through his well over 200 logbooks to find your answer so it may take a little while. Don does not keep track, I do. I maintain his logs meticulously. B| Off hand, I do know that his first malfunction was on a square parachute, when they were still being developed. He has 1936 round parachute jumps. His first square parachute jump #1937, was his first malfunction. As a matter of fact the majority of his malfunctions were on "test jumps" with equipment that needed a bit more development. I guess that is one of the "benefits" of being a pioneer in the sport.

He even had the "luck" :S to have a double malfunction and survive. That is why he believes in the event of a total malfunction, go straight to your reserve. Had he cutaway first, he would not have 35,000+ plus jumps now because he would be dead. it was the main that eventually came out somewhat.

He was also on the forefront of tandem and owned the tenth tandem rig ever made. He has made over 10,000 tandems and has dealt with a few malfunctions on those as they have developed.

We are so lucky to skydive in a day and age when the equipment has improved to the point that you can go 5000 jumps without a mal.:)I know that when I started jumping 22 years ago, malfunctions were on average one in two hundred jumps and now the average is one in about 1000 jumps I believe. My first mal was line knots on my 200th jump[:/]

oops, sorry bout that.... i'd swear he said that at one point... but again, he's not the one keeping track ;)

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

After a 14 hour day of looking through over 35,000 lines in the logbooks, here are the results for the number of Don Kellner's malfunctions, although I may have missed one since my eyes are starting to go crossed with this job. Hopefully this post will be coherent.

A grand total of 19 malfunctions in over 35,000 jumps.

When I list malfunction numbers, I am only referring to those canopy problem situations that warranted Don going to his reserve parachute.

His first malfunction was on his 1937th jump, which was his first square parachute jump. He had done 1936 round parachute jumps and gone through 11 years in the sport prior to that without a malfunction. In the following 15 months he experienced a total of eight malfunctions as he test jumped the new square parachutes that were being developed.

In 1980, he experienced a double malfunction with one of the first square reserves available. In 1990, he experienced a malfunction when jumping one of the first high performance parachute designs.

I would like to think that the work that he and other pioneers in the sport did, allow the rest of us to enjoy the low rate of malfunctions that we see today.:)

Five reserve rides for me... three of them were between eighty and ninety jumps 22 years ago.

One line over on a Para Commander
One time a single riser release on an R3 cutaway system. That was a high speed malfunction if there ever was one!
One snivelling Para Commander that I rode down to 1200 feet. Looked like it was going to open so I hung on for awhile.
Two square malfunctions... both snivellers.

Too many reserve rides for only 900 jumps in my opinion

My Fiance has 5300 and no chops, no reserve rides.

she won't let me pack her rig so she will most likely make 10,000.

;)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix