millertime24

So i got my new canopy....

And I love it!!! Its nice and orange (er, I mean tangerine) and it flies very well indeed. Its a Sabre2 190 with custom colors right from the factory.

Now with the problem. How the hell does one go about packing a new canopy? I get all the way to where I roll the tail and place the thing on the ground, but for the life of me every time i go to squish the air out it seems to slide all over. Then when I try to fold it to put it in the bag it kind of all falls apart. Any suggestions?

Oh and for those who would say "give it to a packer" forget it. I need to learn how to do this myself. I didnt just drop 1600 bucks on a brand new piece of nylon to let somebody else fondle it.
Muff #5048

Oh and for those who would say "give it to a packer" forget it. I need to learn how to do this myself. I didnt just drop 1600 bucks on a brand new piece of nylon to let somebody else fondle it.

Good Man:)
Oh and good luck S2 190 can be a pain in the ass for a while (actually it will probably be a pain in the ass the entire time you own it)

Practice makes perfect, and and doesnt have to be clean, it is a very forgiving canopy to packing!

Congrats on your new toy
BASE 1384

You could let a packer do it just for the first 100 jumps or so, until it is not so new. That's what I did when I got a new canopy... and then after that I thought of other excuses not to pack.
... Marion

I too have a brand new sabre2 190 canopy. Well I got it several months ago but have only jumped it a few times cuz i broke my leg. Anyway, it just took me lots of practice and a lot of sweat and tears (and sometimes blood too). Since I can't jump cuz I'm broken, I did a lot of practicing. Getting it into the bag is a motherfucker, i agree. I packed and repacked hundreds of times to get it right. I used every part of my body to bag it. ie. my arms, elbows, face, nose, feet, tongue, ears, knees, chest, crotch etc. to keep it together. It helps to S fold the lines into the pack once it`s already in the bag. I started a thread a while ago about this exact issue and there was some really good advice. check it out.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3315147;page=unread#unread

Don't put your full weight on it. Only put enough weight on it to hold it in place. i.e. If your putting your knee on the s fold stack keep your weight on your other knee and only press down with the knee on the stack with a few pounds of force.

It just takes practice.

You wanted to fondle it alot, right?;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I got a Sabre2 170 with ~50 jumps on it.

I need to spend 20 minutes getting it into a perfect shape and I learnt the hard way not to let up when doing the S fold, it's not forgiving like other canopys where you can do a lazy S-fold, don't let up the pressure for 1 microsecond... do your final squish and attack it furiously and with strength as quick as possible... don't give it ANY chance at all to expand in ANY direction until the first 2 stows are in...

pfft! I got a new custom s2135 and I was about as frustrated with packing that as trying to get a sleeping bag back into it's stupid little container. One of those things was kicked across the room. Patience isn't my strong suit...let me know if you find any tips that really help ya out. :)

~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Congrats on the new canopy! Why is it that the cool stuff always has to have a catch somewhere, eh?

If you want to *cheat*, you can psycho pack it for about 50-75 jumps or so, then switch back to pro-packing. Much easier to keep things under control, and can help to get it to that semi-worn-in state. That's what I did when I got my Sabre2 with 35 jumps on it. Made things much easier.

(Oh, and I had 2 broken wrists at the time.)

If you're not cool with that option, then yeah, check out that other thread. Do the reverse-S-fold thing. And don't put your full weight on it.

(And when you're ready to say 'fuck it' and shred the thing, just remember: 'that which does not kill us makes us stronger....');):D

Signatures are the new black.

Congrats on the new canopy.....I have a fairly new Pilot...actually hasn't been too bad to pack considering. Just be patient and keep working it.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I feel your pain... just about to unpack my third brand-new canopy for the first time. The reason everybody isn't doing it is that some pro-pack with about the same amount of effort or maybe a little faster, and also that there's a lot of cargo cult packing and superstition out there.

Seriously, consider the psycho-packing thing, at least until you can reliably pro-pack it without crying. The bridle extension is not necessary if you pull the attachment point over to one side before you roll it up (this is on at least one of the PP videos floating around the net). It also has the bonus of getting you some very funny looks at some DZs :P

I pro-pack everything now but for the first two new canopies, psycho packing really helped - at least to take the shine off at first. Get someone to show you how.

And pro or psycho or Guatemalan Insanity Pack, the way forward is practise, practise, practise. Both you and the canopy will get better. Keep your chin up!

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

What the hell, surely it can't be that easy.

Actually it is just that easy, and lots of "Pro" packers will give you a hard time about it. If you want to have a good laugh, listen to the Pro packers while they're packing and compare the noises to the Psycho packers.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

What the hell, surely it can't be that easy.

I got a brand new Triathlon at 50 jumps, slippery and crinkly as hell. Psycho-packing was the only way I got it in the bag. Still using the method.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

just about to unpack my third brand-new canopy for the first time.

Hmm. That didn't go so badly. It took a little bit more effort and concentration, but it wasn't the sweating, swearing nightmare I remembered from the last one a couple of hundred jumps back.

Apparently, practice actually works. Who knew?

[edit: pro-packed it, for whatever that's worth.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Im in the same boat with my new sabre 2 150. I flake it really neat, then when it comes time to put it in the bag, I start too lose it, but REFUSE to restart, so furiously grab and stuff at anything that is coming out. Its not pretty, but if you just control your slider, dont get lines tangled in nylon, and somehow get it in the bag then its all good. The worst looking packjobs(I really mean atrocious) have been opening the best for me recently, and the best looking, neatest textbook pack job that I had put me into 3 line twists. Good luck, and dont give up.

Wow... reading this thread makes me apprehensive about ever buying a new canopy! Dont get me wrong.. eventually, sure. But... already have a zero P Triathalon 175 ( love it! ) and have had a heck! of a time learnin' how to wrangle that b**** into the D bag(Its your b**** on the ground and your sweet lover in the sky right? :o ) . Still practicin'... still a noob tryin' to get the dern wings under control!!! Good luck and blue skies!

If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Im in the same boat with my new sabre 2 150. I flake it really neat, then when it comes time to put it in the bag, I start too lose it, but REFUSE to restart, so furiously grab and stuff at anything that is coming out. Its not pretty, but if you just control your slider, dont get lines tangled in nylon, and somehow get it in the bag then its all good. The worst looking packjobs(I really mean atrocious) have been opening the best for me recently, and the best looking, neatest textbook pack job that I had put me into 3 line twists. Good luck, and dont give up.

Update.

Yup thats pretty much the only way I can do it. Been practicing all weekend (with no jumping [:/]) and thats the only way I can get it in the bag. What I find strange is that its actually just as hard if not harder to close the container than my Spectre 210. Anybody know if the pack volumes are comparable? Because on the ground this 190 looks tiny compared to the Spectre 210 I had, yet when you DO finally get it in the d-bag and close the container I found I have to pull on that pullup cord pretty damn hard to close it up.
Muff #5048