PeregrineFalcon

Pac 750

Holy shit, we got to altitude fast!!B| The door was so wide! I wasn't sure exactly how to exit! :D I inched up to it and looked for a strut and wheel to climb onto! :P Man, I got to go back to that DZ! Byron's great when the winds are right for us Pre-A noobs.

I've been mostly going up in a Cessna 206. One flight in a 182 which took forever (no door either so it was cold as hell). I was in a King Air for level 1 AFF but that ride up was a blur since I was concentrating on the flow and not peeing my pants. There was also a big plane in Perris 14 years ago when I did 4 jumps, but that was 14 years ago.

I'm interested in hearing your takes on the different planes (or other air crafts) and the pros and cons of each. It's going to be quite some time before I experience other planes and no, I don't feel like doing a search and reading a bunch of posts that don't apply before finally finding what I want.

The Pac 750 is the only plane designed for skydiving. I haven't gotten a chance to fall out of one yet but looking forward to that opportunity....

I'd say my favorite is the Cessna Caravan. Its the biggest single engine aircraft Ive jumped. But, anything big and fast is great. I think I heard somewhere that single engine planes are safer. Don't know if there is any truth to it but I bought into it.....

Attached is a pic of Skydive Hawaii's Caravan.

main negative to the Pac is it's a bit small inside, and very short. Some of that performance comes at the cost of comfort. It was a bit harder to get the exit orientation right, esp in RW, with the short ceiling. The KA, otoh, lets me stand fully upright in the door if I want.

The Pac replaced a Caravan at Byron, which I remember as one of the noisier airplanes.

The Pac 750 is the only plane designed for skydiving. I haven't gotten a chance to fall out of one yet but looking forward to that opportunity....

I'd say my favorite is the Cessna Caravan. Its the biggest single engine aircraft Ive jumped. But, anything big and fast is great. I think I heard somewhere that single engine planes are safer. Don't know if there is any truth to it but I bought into it.....

It is NOT designed for skydiving! Anyone who puts a horizontal stabilizer in direct line with the door is not designing a skydiving plane. It's a frame that was ADAPTED to skydiving. Anyone who says the PAC was designed for skydiving is lieing.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

The PAC 750 wasn't designed for skydiving, but you can buy a factory delivered model with the skydiving mods.. such as the jump lights and door.

The advantage of the PAC 750 is its single engine design, making it cheaper to run than twin engine jump planes like the twin otter. But it certainly has its limitations. I was chatting to someone who said the Kodiak is gaining popularity and is better suited to skydiving than the PAC 750, but I have never seen or jumped one.

It is NOT designed for skydiving! Anyone who puts a horizontal stabilizer in direct line with the door is not designing a skydiving plane. It's a frame that was ADAPTED to skydiving. Anyone who says the PAC was designed for skydiving is lieing.

I don't want to get into an argument about semantics but here is a direct quote from Parachutist Magazine....

Over the past century, hundreds of airplane types have been put to use for altitude. While some of those airplanes seemed tailor-made for skydiving, they weren't; they were all built for other purposes, such as pleasure-flying, cargo hauling or as commercial passenger planes, and had been appropriated and modified for jumping. It wasn't until Pacific Aerospace Corporation unveiled the PAC 750XL in 2004 that an airplane was purpose-built just for skydiving

This is from August 2007 edition of Parachutist magazine. Article written by Ed Scott.

The PAC 750 wasn't designed for skydiving, but you can buy a factory delivered model with the skydiving mods.. such as the jump lights and door.

I don't want to get into an argument about semantics but here is a direct quote from Parachutist Magazine....

Over the past century, hundreds of airplane types have been put to use for altitude. While some of those airplanes seemed tailor-made for skydiving, they weren't; they were all built for other purposes, such as pleasure-flying, cargo hauling or as commercial passenger planes, and had been appropriated and modified for jumping. It wasn't until Pacific Aerospace Corporation unveiled the PAC 750XL in 2004 that an airplane was purpose-built just for skydiving

This is from August 2007 edition of Parachutist magazine. Article written by Ed Scott.

It's still a sucky plane for RW. Give ma an otter any day.

Might as well go for the CASA or SKYVAN!!

Anybody know how much these planes cost? I know thats not an easy question to answer. But what would be the difference in cost between a PAC and an OTTER? How 'bout CARAVAN and KING AIR?

It's still a sucky plane for RW. Give ma an otter any day.

Might as well go for the CASA or SKYVAN!!

Anybody know how much these planes cost? I know thats not an easy question to answer. But what would be the difference in cost between a PAC and an OTTER? How 'bout CARAVAN and KING AIR?

I know of a PAC 750 that recently sold for about $1 million, or so I was told by the seller. An Otter with dash 27's or the like in decent shape is probably worth about the same.

My DZ has a PAC 750, I've only jumped it once, but it was amazing compared to the Cessna Yankee that they run on the weekdays!!! me being a very new diver, it really helped me cool my nerves. In the PAC it was in and out in less than ten minutes B|, but with the Cessna Yankee it takes forever, and that's forever to be thinking about everything I shouldn't be thinking about. [:/]

Anyone know the difference...

According to the Utility Aircraft Corp website:

PAC 750 (New) 1,290,000
Caravan (New) 1,700,000
Caravan (Used) 750,000
King Air 90 (Used) 300,000
Super Otter (Used) 850,000

Caution should be used when comparing these numbers. The webpage does not show the year of the quotes and a used Caravan is currently selling for around $1,000,000 and an Super Otter is selling for around $1,600,000.

Blue skies,

Jim

Jumped it years ago when it made it's first appearance at the WFFC-it's cramped, the doors built for small people, the only plus is it's quick
It is possible to get all A's in school and still flunk life~Percy Walker

They're fucking junk:| They were not designed for skydiving, they were marketed to DZO's trying to make a buck. There's no head room, the door is too short and that stupid spar cover thingie behind the pilot seat is just plain bullshit. It's one thing to make a few fun jumps from it. It's quite another to try and work out of. JUNK JUNK JUNK!

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

So, tell me why. Tell me the difference. That's what the thread is for.

Because it has the incredible shrinking door. Most tandems need to sit before they exit. (hard on the knees) and running anything out of it for RW or wingsuit is a pain in the ass. If it is so cheap to fly, why do the jump tickets still cost the same, if not more, then a DZ running an Otter?
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

PAC 14-15 jumpers
OTTER 22-23 jumpers

PAC Low HZ Stabilizer
OTTER High HZ Stabilizer

PAC odd shaped door
OTTER RW Standard door

PAC: Worse prop-blast on the floaters
OTTER almost no prop-blast

PAC: Bucks when the floaters leave (I've tripped more than once)
OTTER: stable through floater exit

PAC: less comfortable
OTTER: more comfortable