mamajumps

Kids at the DZ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kids and dogs are ok at the DZ as long as they are kept on leash.

Just strap them into a suspended training harness and that will keep them entertained (and tied up) for hours.

Thats awfull! Poor little things... Can you imagine how tired of bouncing they would be after a few hours, not to mention they may get motion sickness! That's no way to treat a dog!

ROFLMAO....:P:P

When I was a teen we had a silky terrier that my dad would hang on a nail by his little harness... that silly dog would hang there for hours.... guess he knew that complaining would get him no where....:P

I like having some kids around to keep me from talking the usual filth and unlike dogs most don't shit in the landing area.

That's funny - last time I brought my dog to the DZ, he asked me why all the humans pissed on the bathroom floor... Just a matter of perspective I guess.

This topic has been hashed and re-hashed many times here.

As I have said before. A drop zone is an adult’s playground. It is not a day care center or a pet motel. It is not the place to take kids or dogs period.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There was a woofo with a camera who was taking pictures of his kids (3-6 years old) hanging on the prop of the 206 that was parked outside the hanger. I told him that the owner of the plane probly wouldn't appreciate this behaivior and that it was one of the top 10 stupid things I've ever seen a parent do. He did not appologize, but instead, yelled at the two boys. Telling them what a stupid thing they were doing.

The rest of the day, these two were running all over the place with Dad in tow. Out in the landing area, in front of the Otter, Hanging on this, pulling on that...

These were probly really nice kids... but, Dad needed a good swat upside the head!

Kids at the DZ... OK
Idiot Parents at the DZ... No F@%##& Way
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I use to take my son out to the DZ on occassion. In the last couple of years I have stopped and I also have increased the amount of time I am at the DZ. IMHO now, a DZ is not a place for children. This is a place for adults to let go have fun and whether you like it or not the content of conversation will not be child friendly most of the time.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

As I have said before. A drop zone is an adult’s playground. It is not a day care center or a pet motel. It is not the place to take kids or dogs period.

Sparky

I 100% agree.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Sparky

I 100% agree.

+1
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Everytime I get home from a boogie I feel like popping right on to dz.com and starting a post like this, but I get back to work the next day and then I forget about it, but it's something that really irritates the crap out of me. Bottom line: THE DROPZONE IS NOT A BABY SITTING SERVICE NOR A DAYCARE FACILITY!!!!!!! Do not bring your kids and let them run around all over the place while you jump and have fun. If you're going to skydive, arrange a baby sitter for the day and thats that. A supervised child on the dz, as one poster said walks around with a step mom or your significant other, is perfectly fine. I'm sure that adult is going to make sure they aren't pulling any handles out of curiousity or stepping all over everybodies lines. What really gets me is when I see these kids running around the dz at the after hours boogie party. One time a guy was complaining about a topless girl running around at a boogie party because his kid was there. I'm sorry, but the kids shouldn't be around at midnight with a bunch of intoxicated adults doing adult things anyway. Get a baby sitter, and if you don't want to drop the kids off at a proper daycare or a babysitter for whatever reasons, then you'll have to wait to have fun on another day when your ready to do that. Atmosphere wise there are a lot of adult things going on at the dz, but even more so its a safety thing too where a curious child may do something like pull that little metal handle out a little bit because it looks interesting, and then oopps-- you have your reserve pop right open as your exiting off the step for that next load. Definitely not cool... :S

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I haven't heard of an incident where a free-roaming kid caused an incident in the landing area, but there was a demo jump involved a big flag bearer where a kid ran straight out into his path, forcing him to take evasive manuevers and hurt himself badly. :|

Man alive!!! I would have just hit the kid, to teach that ass a lesson!! WTF!!!

Everytime I get home from a boogie I feel like popping right on to dz.com and starting a post like this, but I get back to work the next day and then I forget about it, but it's something that really irritates the crap out of me. Bottom line: THE DROPZONE IS NOT A BABY SITTING SERVICE NOR A DAYCARE FACILITY!!!!!!! Do not bring your kids and let them run around all over the place while you jump and have fun. If you're going to skydive, arrange a baby sitter for the day and thats that. A supervised child on the dz, as one poster said walks around with a step mom or your significant other, is perfectly fine. I'm sure that adult is going to make sure they aren't pulling any handles out of curiousity or stepping all over everybodies lines. What really gets me is when I see these kids running around the dz at the after hours boogie party. One time a guy was complaining about a topless girl running around at a boogie party because his kid was there. I'm sorry, but the kids shouldn't be around at midnight with a bunch of intoxicated adults doing adult things anyway. Get a baby sitter, and if you don't want to drop the kids off at a proper daycare or a babysitter for whatever reasons, then you'll have to wait to have fun on another day when your ready to do that. Atmosphere wise there are a lot of adult things going on at the dz, but even more so its a safety thing too where a curious child may do something like pull that little metal handle out a little bit because it looks interesting, and then oopps-- you have your reserve pop right open as your exiting off the step for that next load. Definitely not cool... :S

Great points!! True, true, and true!

I haven't heard of an incident where a free-roaming kid caused an incident in the landing area, but there was a demo jump involved a big flag bearer where a kid ran straight out into his path, forcing him to take evasive manuevers and hurt himself badly. :|

Man alive!!! I would have just hit the kid, to teach that ass a lesson!! WTF!!!

Easier said than done.... people tend to balk at hurting kids...... more's the pity:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Unsupervised, children should not be at the DZ. Supervised, who cares. carry on with your OWN business.

My daughter is ok at our dz, where it is more of a family environment than an "adult's playground" but I know that other dropzones have different atmospheres and parents should act accordingly in those cases.

as for the comments about adult language...please! these days kids hear and learn more dirty language from their peers at school and the boobtoob then we did even into our late teens. I do believe there is such a thing as OVER protecting /sheltering one's children in some cases...

just MHO. :)

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

My son loves to go to the DZ, he is 9 (today) anyway, I've been in the sport since before he was born so he's spent alot of time at the DZ with me. he enjoys going to watch. However, I hold firm to the practice, if someone is not there with me to keep an eye on him I don't jump. Reason being, what happens if Im jumping while he is there and I get hurt who's going to explain things to him, who is going to make sure his mother is called to come get him I do not expect that "somebody" will look out for him. If he wants to go to the dz and someone cant be with him we both go, have lunch watch others jump and go home. My son has never been on a dz after sunset and he wont be for many more years. Many people justify bringing there kids out to a dz and letting them run saying were "all family out here and everyone watches out for the kids." that's not the case. I was at a boogie a couple of years ago and a female skydiver let her son run while she jumped and played, well at the end of the day, that child was missing. Granted he was found, sleeping in a camper but it was only luck that it turned out that way. In every subculture of life there are pedophiles, and dropzones are no different. It is my job to keep my son safe and under my watchful eye. If he gets hurt at a dropzone, I am to blame, no one else.

Unsupervised, children should not be at the DZ. Supervised, who cares.
carry on with your OWN business.

My daughter is ok at our dz, where it is more of a family environment than an "adult's playground" but I know that other dropzones have different atmospheres and parents should act accordingly in those cases.
as for the comments about adult language...please! these days kids hear and learn more dirty language from their peers at school and the boobtoob then we did even into our late teens. I do believe there is such a thing as OVER protecting /sheltering one's children in some cases...

just MHO. :)

I do. Just because they are supervised, they are still annoying.

My daughter will be 2 next week, so she's never really unsupervised. She does accompany me to the DZ, but I always have someone there so I don't have to leave her alone while I jump. She loves watching the planes and the people falling from the sky! We make sure she's out of everyone's way and don't just let her run around like a maniac. The one time that she did start to get grumpy, my husband took her out for some food and came back and got me when they were done.

I do. Just because they are supervised, they are still annoying.

Same goes for a lot of adults....

I find most of the complainers about kids being the worst offenders the day after they have kids of their own. The hypocrisy is amazing when it comes to offspring

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm no parent but don't most view their children as little angels who could not possibly do anything wrong? Maybe that is only soccer moms, but still you get the idea. More so .. what is with this leash business. Everyone knows you can give the kid a Hefty sack and tell them to make a mask.. 2 things will happen.. the kid will be a lot less hyper and probably get pretty quiet too. Easy cleanup and it's also far cheaper than paying for a baby sitter. ;)

Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I find most of the complainers about kids being the worst offenders the day after they have kids of their own. The hypocrisy is amazing when it comes to offspring

Bill hit it right on the head! Too many arm chair parents... You and your lovely wife, however, have a dropzone brat (that's a kid raised on a dropzone). She grew up well supervised with a clear understanding of dropzone do's and dont's. There are several of these GREAT kids on our DZ.

What irritates me the most are the whoofo parents that don't see the inherent danger to kids (not to mention the skydivers) And, as Bill has pointed out, "a skunk smells his own ass first".
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Does anybody care to address the possibility that a young child might be traumatized if he's present at the DZ should his parent be seriously injured or killed? It's rare that I see posts that address this issue head-on.

True but there are also plenty of other sports where this could happen that are even considered family types. Rodeo events, NASCAR events, dirt bike races etc. Whether you consider those events more or less dangerous is all a matter of perspective.

Does anybody care to address the possibility that a young child might be traumatized if he's present at the DZ should his parent be seriously injured or killed? It's rare that I see posts that address this issue head-on.

True but there are also plenty of other sports where this could happen that are even considered family types. Rodeo events, NASCAR events, dirt bike races etc. Whether you consider those events more or less dangerous is all a matter of perspective.

Not to discount your answer, but it really doesn't fully answer my question ... head-on. Perhaps I'd narrow this to jumpers who are parents: do/did you consider the possibility that your young child might be present at the DZ if/when you got seriously injured or killed on a jump?