mamajumps

Kids at the DZ...

Perhaps I'd narrow this to jumpers who are parents: do/did you consider the possibility that your young child might be present at the DZ if/when you got seriously injured or killed on a jump?

I tried to stay in the sport when my kids were young. But this issue along with finances convinced be to take a break. The kids are grown, and I'm back jumping. My situation is different than others. My wife doesn't jump. So, it just was not a family thing... Other sutuations may vary.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Do what they did at my DZ to me before I could jump. Teach 'em to pack.

Or perhaps how to slice limes and serve beer?
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

...a curious child may do something like pull that little metal handle out a little bit because it looks interesting, and then oopps-- you have your reserve pop right open as your exiting off the step for that next load. Definitely not cool... :S

I heard a story of this actually happening where a kid went down the rack of rigs and pulled the reserves. As a friend put it, "I heard this pop, pop, pop, pop, turned around and there was this kid holding a bunch of reserve handles."

True.
SCR #14809

I never bring my young kids to the DZ. This has been brought up in the other replies but being honest, the language at the DZ is just not appropriate for kids.

Here's the t-shirt that you need to have.

How dare I wear this GD shirt in front of your F'ing kids?!
SCR #14809

...a curious child may do something like pull that little metal handle out a little bit because it looks interesting, and then oopps-- you have your reserve pop right open as your exiting off the step for that next load. Definitely not cool... :S

I heard a story of this actually happening where a kid went down the rack of rigs and pulled the reserves. As a friend put it, "I heard this pop, pop, pop, pop, turned around and there was this kid holding a bunch of reserve handles."

True.

Goddamn... I'd hate to see the bill given to the stupid parent. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I say leave those little shits at home till their old enough to sign a waiver and can fork over $300.00 for a tandem w/ video.

Dam varmits

I agree!! and besides, that's what grandparents are for! Cheap, reliable babysitters.

Wait! Let's change that to "NON JUMPER" grandparents. I am getting up there in age, and the idea of babysitting is, well, ... "Oh Shit"... Damn, I didn't think of that...

New Post... What do you guys think about grandchildren at the DZ??
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

True.

Goddamn... I'd hate to see the bill given to the stupid parent. :S

The parent in this story is now a TI. Not sure about when it happened though. You'll have to ask Andy.
SCR #14809