billvon

Oxygen saturation on normal skydives

>While dead space is important it's not the whole story - if the partial
> pressure of the O2 isn't high enough the gaseous exchange won't
> occur efficiently, or at all.

Of course. Getting rid of dead space is one way of (slightly) raising ppO2. Supplemental oxygen in small amounts is the most common way.

Fantastic Thread - I'd like to add my experience and management technique of hypoxia.

This is on dives up to 14K without supplumental O2.

The usual experience of a climb to height for me was where I'd relax (sleep) from ground to about 11k then be active from 11k to exit from gearing up and psyching up on jump-run. What I found was that during the relaxed bit to 11k I was breathing very shallow and slowly - thus raising the co2 levels in my blood. Then, when 11k came around and it was time to be more active and use more o2 - it wasn't as readily available in the thinner air.

This cycle of shallow breathing down low and active breathing up high was so apparrent that I reversed the cycle and found that it was best for me to SATURATE my bloodstream at lower altitudes by breathing deeply (slowly, semi-hyperventilating on air) while still resting for say 4k to 6k and then remaining at rest until the usual jump-run where I'd use meditative processes to keep overexertion to a minimum. This would raise the o2 levels in my blood. That way I'd find I would have available o2 in my blood at height when I needed it most and when it was most scarce.

Other things that have helped - not singing or carrying-on during climb to height and turbo-prop aircraft.

Hope someone finds this of help.

g
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

I'd like to add to my original comments.

Your body cannot "store" oxygen. If you don't think so, then hold your breathe. After one minute on average, you need to breathe again and therefore theory proven......(However, you can store the hell outta nitrogen) and a whole separate story there...

Staying relaxed on the ride to jump altitude (lowered metabolic rate) will aid in warding off some of the symptoms of hypoxia.

Also it's recommended:

- Using supplemental oxygen when available.
- Staying physically fit.
- Not smoking/dip 4 to 6 hours prior to flight.
- Reduced alchohol intake prior to flight.
- Staying hydrated and fed.
- Remaining out of the exhaust (more of a problem with turbine a/c).
- Plenty of sex..;)

>Your body cannot "store" oxygen.

Well, that's probably an issue of semantics. As I'm sure you're aware, we regularly jump from 25-26K without bailout oxygen. The way it works is that you remain on oxygen before the jump, then go off it and jump. The O2 stored in your lungs/blood/tissues are sufficient to keep you going until you descend to about 12,000 feet, at which point your lungs can once again give you enough O2.

>Your body cannot "store" oxygen.

Well, that's probably an issue of semantics. As I'm sure you're aware, we regularly jump from 25-26K without bailout oxygen. The way it works is that you remain on oxygen before the jump, then go off it and jump. The O2 stored in your lungs/blood/tissues are sufficient to keep you going until you descend to about 12,000 feet, at which point your lungs can once again give you enough O2.

True Bill... There is supersaturation. As an example. One day I was breathing 100% O2 for about 4 hours straight at 25,000 feet. Decided to see how long I could hold my breathe. (Now my normal sea level ambient air breathhold is about 1 min 30 sec.) That day, due to supersat, 3 minutes easy... There ya go...B|

One day I was breathing 100% O2 for about 4 hours straight at 25,000 feet. Decided to see how long I could hold my breathe. (Now my normal sea level ambient air breathhold is about 1 min 30 sec.) That day, due to supersat, 3 minutes easy... There ya go...

Without 100% and using a nasal cannula how long do you think that would be?:P

Sparky

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

One day I was breathing 100% O2 for about 4 hours straight at 25,000 feet. Decided to see how long I could hold my breathe. (Now my normal sea level ambient air breathhold is about 1 min 30 sec.) That day, due to supersat, 3 minutes easy... There ya go...

Sparky

Hey Sparky,

that would be hard to determine. Individual tolerance really. Most nasal cannulas are not tight fitting enough to prevent air from entering your body along with the 100% O2.

New on the market, is a nasal cannula that is tight fitting and provides positive pressure on demand. But, I'm thinking it's not feasible for most DZ operators or necessary on jumps below 18K msl.

Did that answer your question?

Buck

RTF: STS-114

Sparky

Hey Sparky,

that would be hard to determine. Individual tolerance really. Most nasal cannulas are not tight fitting enough to prevent air from entering your body along with the 100% O2.

New on the market, is a nasal cannula that is tight fitting and provides positive pressure on demand. But, I'm thinking it's not feasible for most DZ operators or necessary on jumps below 18K msl.

Did that answer your question?

Buck

RTF: STS-114

Buck,

It was a rhetorical question. At 25,000 you should be using a sealed mask and have done some pre-breathing.

Sparky

... At 25,000 you should be using a sealed mask and have done some pre-breathing.

And even then it doesn't always work out right.

An uncle of mine flew a B17 during WWII, mostly from altitudes ranging from 22K to 30K feet. On his 25th mission he was shot down over Poland and he and his crew bailed out from 24K. By his account he passed out then awoke somewhere around 10K. He deployed his seat pack, landed safely, was captured, and spent the last 9 months of the war at Stalag Luft I on the Baltic coast. His co-pilot wasn't so lucky. Uncle Jack says his chute failed. I'm guessing he never woke in time to pull.

Mind you, this wasn't an average (or even not so average) skydive.

Bob

... At 25,000 you should be using a sealed mask and have done some pre-breathing.

An uncle of mine flew a B17 during WWII, mostly from altitudes ranging from 22K to 30K feet. On his 25th mission he was shot down over Poland and he and his crew bailed out from 24K. By his account he passed out then awoke somewhere around 10K. He deployed his seat pack, landed safely, was captured, and spent the last 9 months of the war at Stalag Luft I on the Baltic coast. His co-pilot wasn't so lucky. Uncle Jack says his chute failed. I'm guessing he never woke in time to pull.

Bob

When I do work at higher altitudes I wear this.:P Hooked to an O2 console on the way up and Twin 53's (bailout bottles) on the way down.

Sparky

When I do work at higher altitudes I wear this.:P Hooked to an O2 console on the way up and Twin 53's (bailout bottles) on the way down.

Sparky

Now THAT needs to go in the coolest looking type of skydiver thread! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Bob

Sparky

heeheehee....very nice! that's a good lookin HGU-26/P? I had one but now wear a 55/P lightweight with a MBU-12/P mask also.

Buck

heeheehee....very nice! that's a good lookin HGU-26/P? I had one but now wear a 55/P lightweight with a MBU-12/P mask also.

Its a HGU-33 with custom liner, Lighting Bolt custom paint and my name on the back.
I be stylin now. Get on down yo bad self, Bitch!:P

Sparky

Just a side note for all we've been talking about here...when doing any kind of experiment, it is important to note that many of these results may show a CORRELATION but not CAUSEATION of events. I think this is evident in many of the discussions as to the various techniques that people have to try and avoid hypoxia at higher elevations. I definately think that this is worth more studying and what we have so far is awesome, but just wanted to point out the facts of scientific experiments. Also, I am not saying any of you are wrong, just wanted to make sure that we are all clear on data and how it is used (especially as we are using it here). Wonderful thoughts and discussions! ;)

Thany you very much for posting this Bill. I think, I have noticed a touch of hypoxia on some 13.5 jumps, a distinct feeling, you called it fuzziness, and slight darking of the vision, like you get when holding you beath for a couple of minutes. I then beathed deep and slow and the feeling disappeared and the vision normalized in just a few beaths. I also noticed the symptoms would reappear if I went back to breathing shallow again. BTW this was in a Otter, 15-20mins to altitude. Without your post, I doubt that I would have recognized this for what it was.

Thanks again,

Brian

Thanks Bill,
Couple years ago I was flying over the Rockies in an unpressurized plane at 12K MSL, and my Sa02 was ~84%. Now thats a pA02 in the 60's or so. Like ya'll stated, a few deep breaths would bring them up to mid 90's, normal.
Just a few observations...

Most folks climbing to altitude are sitting hunched up with a chest strap in place, decreasing your volume with each breath.

I hadn't thought much before about loading, but it makes sense that while loading your sucking some exhaust, and like already stated, CO will hang onto your hemoglobin a lot longer than 02. You can have an Sa02 of 100% with a pA02 in the shitter! So don't get fooled.

Being excited and breathing faster blows off C02, which is your bodys main respiratory drive. Hyperventilating before swimming underwater may or may not "bank" 02, but it will drive down your C02 and you won't feel the need to take a breath for a while. Breathing too fast on the climb low down will result in a slower rate up high.

The excitement of finally getting your onto your load, sitting then on climb to altitude all hunched up, maybe some C0 from exhaust hanging around for 20-30 minutes in your blood, then exerting youself at altitude, I'm surprised more people don't feel funny.:S

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

Hi Bill. You mentioned that you would "crouch down." This would cause a restrictive problem preventing you from inhaling to TLC (Total Lung Capacity). Therefore while crouching down you were not taking in enough air (and therefore oxygen). As you discovered through experimentation, a slow, deep breath with an inspiratory sigh is the best way to improve oxygenation. It allows more time or O2 to cross the A/C (Alveolar/Capillary)membrane. This is the prescribed method of oxygen therapy for anyone who is taking a breathing treatment, IPPB, nebulizer, etc... A pulse Oximeter measures the O2 saturation of the capillaries inside the nailbed. An arterial Blood Gas will give you the amount of Partial pressure of O2 and Co2 that is in your blood. Hope this helps. Harry Robinson CRT

bill,

do your figures have any corolation into starting out at diffrent elevations or does it even matter say wheni was jumping colorado with a field elevation of 6k msl or utah witha elevation of 4.5k msl does it not mater once a person has aclimated to the higher altitude, when we would go to 12.5k agl in utah wer were right at 17k msl but used no o2 ever, and never felt hypoxic (that i knew of for myself) does the o2 levels decreas at a set rate so that whenyou are "normal" at a set altitude when you go up an equal altitude as some one say 4k lower the numbers would be the same?