pierre3636

CompAir jump plane

BTW, REALLY cool article here [URL]http://www.seqair.com/Other/UnFalco/UnFalco.html[/URL] about the AN-2.

You can't REALLY fly it here either. I can't remember the exact restrictions on it, but basically you can't fly it more than X (I think 200 nm) distance from the home base, and can't land it anywhere else. There is basically nothing you can do with it, except show it off. Very unfortunate, as it is a very cool airplane. One can be had for around $60k because of all the limitations.

You're a little off. Mike can correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding after reading the FAR's, the FAA's websiute about experimentals and a call to the Little Rock FSDO is that the FAA does not issue experimental ratings to aircraft types, but to each individual aircraft, and that it is done on a FSDO by FSDO basis. Thus, there are some AN-2's with the range restriction, and others without it.

-Blind

...and according to above article:

In February 1994, the EAA and the FAA cooperated in the issuance of a document intended to clarify the regulations controlling aircraft in the "experimental exhibition" category. That class is intended for uncertificated aircraft, or aircraft operating outside their original certification, that are approved only for use in air shows, competitions, exhibitions and other activities such as film and television use.

The rules basically allow such airplanes not only to be flown to and from such events but to be flown for "proficiency." Unfortunately, an increasing number of owners had been using the "proficiency" catch-all to cover virtually any cross-country or pleasure flight they decided to make. Hence the FAA/EAA "clarification."

Unfortunately as well for owners of Antonov An-2s brought into the U.S. since 1993 (earlier ones were exempt), the new interpretation of the rules specified a brand-new category within the experimental exhibition classification, called "category IV." It covers a very strange assortment of bedfellows: Lockheed C-130s, Ilyushin IL-76s (a 375,000-pound C-141 lookalike), Antonov An-24s (a 48-passenger turboprop twin), all Cessnas with un-STCed auto-engine installations... and Antonov An-2s. The rules specified that these airplanes, if registered experimental exhibition, could operate within a 300-nm radius of their chosen base but could not land anywhere within that area. They had to return to home plate.

Has anyone heard or jumped from a Compair plane? Just fishing...

http://www.aerocompinc.com/airplanes/CA7/CA7perform.htm

A few guys have been building compair8 type of plane here in Finland for some time now.

I dont know much about it, but I have understood it is to be used in skydiving. From the rumours I hear it should be ready pretty soon..

Billy,

Africa is a lot of countries. Often the less developed a country, the more stringent the rules. For example, Mexican aircraft have far more rules placed on them than USA aircraft.

Mike

Overly simplified explanation ... in poor countries, only the military and a handful of rich people can afford to fly, ergo there are few privately-owned airplanes, ergo asking civil aviation authorities about the finer points of law regarding civilian airplanes is a waste of time, because they know very little.

I believe CompAir has a certified single turbine utility aircraft produced now approved for skydiving. Similar to a Caravan or Kodiak. Price tag around 1.6 though so...we have to wait 10 years unless you're a volume center to make that kind of payment. It looks super sweet though.

Has anybody picked up the phone and called CompAir and asked them about it ? :S[:/] The speculation and rumor handling cracks me up on DZ.Com and argueing w/ Mike Mullins about FAR's,,please , can ya be any more goofy ? Any Body else gonna call CompAir ? I did...B|

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Hey Jumpwally, I think I recognize that beach. Is that in The Bahamas.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I could be wrong, but I don't think comp air makes a "FAA certified" aircraft. The Comp Air12 should be certified by 2011. looks a bit like a pac750
http://www.compairaviation.com/images/ca12/CA12-wilson-05.jpg

From Comp Air's Website (FAQ page)

Would the Comp Air 10XL Turbine be suitable for use as a skydiving jump plane?"

Yes, the Comp Air 10 would make a fantastic "jump plane" for a skydiving club. With a useful load of up to 3000 lbs, roomy cabin, and the outstanding climb performance provided by the 657 eshp Walter M601D, it would make an ideal jump plane.

But...
Current FAA regulations, however, do not permit the use of a US-registered experimental airplane "for hire or compensation" [14CFR 91.319]. It is our understanding that members of private clubs and organizations might be able to build or purchase an experimental airplane for the exclusive use of club members, but US regulations do not permit using an experimental airplane to provide aviation services to the general public. Standard operating limitations (see Section 7) issued for US amateur-built experimental aircraft expressly prohibit use of the airplane for skydiving. Doing so legally would require an exemption or modified operating limitations for each particular aircraft.

Certification?
Aerocomp Inc. receives numerous enquiries about the possibility of using a CA10 for skydiving, and we are interested in any proposals that would provide the funds necessary to produce a 14CFR Part 23 certified version of the airplane. Certification costs have been roughly estimated at US$20 to $30 million. Without Part 23 certification, commercial use of the exciting Comp Air Turbines is not permitted.

The Comp 10/12 is smaller the the PAC 750XL since the PAC is designed for a 14+ seat configuration instead of the 10 or 12 that the Comp Air is. In 10-15 years the Comp 12 might be a real option for a DZ.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Comp 10/12 is smaller the the PAC 750XL since the PAC is designed for a 14+ seat configuration instead of the 10 or 12 that the Comp Air is. In 10-15 years the Comp 12 might be a real option for a DZ.

You can fit 12 in that? It looks like its smaller then that.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I took a look at the CompAir when it was in the final stages of assembly at Wonderboom about 3yrs ago, it was then destined for SkydivExtreme, they were working with CAA (Civial Aviation Authority) to allow the aircraft to be used as a jump plane, Not sure where that went.

So.. It looks like it's going on.
How long the rest of us r supppose to wait for this kind of climbing comfort? (2000 ft/min)

Oh I'm blind.. but this attachment proves me seeing further :|
What goes around, comes later.