deadcactus

Anything you wish you'd known starting out?

Hey everyone,

I did a tandem jump last year and I'm looking to start the AFF pipeline once I can get some funding going. One thing I've realized is that in all the other hobbies I've picked up at one point or another is that at the end there was always a few things I wish I had known starting out that would have saved me time, money, or frustration.

Anything any of you would put on such a list for skydiving?

I would have bought a complete used rig instead of piecing mine together. The way I did it makes for a good story, but it cost me about $1,000 more than I've seen rigs for sale on dz.com for. From your post in the introductions forum, it sounds like money may be an issue. I know when I was in college I wouldn't have been able to afford jumping enough to stay current in the AFF type programs. If you can find a dz that does static line or IAD in your area you could make 3 jumps for the price of 1 AFF. From what I hear AFF jumps are around $300 each, SL/IAD jumps run $75 to $100.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Between my first two static line jumps and my next ones two years later when I really started I read every back issue of Parachutist in my University library. I knew almost too much. But I had read enough that I was past the knowing a little and asking stupid questions into knowing as much as some of my instructors.

Was this good? I don't know. I still bought the wrong used rig for my first rig.;) But I did know a quality program when I started again.

I HOPE that you'll be at a DZ where the old brother/sisterhood of skydiving is still alive. Not so sure it is at some DZ's.

But get ready to spend all your money (now) and all your time (now and then).

Okay, this is heresy and I'll get flamed. Don't believe everything your instructor tells you. They are one skydiver with one set of opinions. Things are better now but people are still routinely told to downsize faster than they should, IMHO. That's just one example of varying opinions between DZ's, instructors etc.

YOU SHOULD do what you instructor tells you to do as far as skydives, emergency procedures, landings, etc. In the air is not a time to improvise.

And don't believe ANYTHING you get on here. The biggest pain in the ass student I ever had would come out with print outs from rec.com (yeah yeah I know it was wreck but I still had to deal with it) with answers that were wrong, didn't apply, or were too advanced. I'd spend more time convincing him everything on the internet wasn't gospel than training him. This group is a little better but still......:):S

When talking gear, get more than one opinion, locally. Don't believe everything your rigger says either. A rigger's license is a license to learn and some/many still haven't. Just because a rigger said it doesn't make it right. (Two riggers tried to kill me.) Find someone who cares about their gear and find out what rigger they trust. (you don't need to worry about this until you have your own gear)

So, ignore what I just told you because you got it from someone you don't know.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you're in the states or planning to go through a USPA AFF course, there is one thing that you should definitely do. Read the SIM, re-read the SIM, and then read it one more time.

2008 SIM (PDF)

Of course, you should check with the dropzone you have chosen and see if they have any recommendations.

- David

disclaimer: everything above may be wrong
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I know you Terry, well sort of, we met at one of the S&TA meetings in Lima a couple years ago. I'd probably follow your advice. And I know you've met one of the most unqualified instructors/riggers there is, he was there too. I'm glad I found out he was bad news before it was too late, so I agree totally with your post.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Okay, this is heresy and I'll get flamed.

It may be, but it is good advice!

Don't believe everything your instructor tells you. They are one skydiver with one set of opinions.

Don't believe everything your rigger says either. A rigger's license is a license to learn and some/many still haven't.

Well put. Man, Terry, you are getting bold in your old age, either that or you received an asbestos suit for Christmas.

If I could go back with my current knowledge I would think about getting licensed a lot differently. I realize now that those first 20 jumps were just the start of a series of hundreds more and looking back, it doesn't matter if it takes 20-30 or 100.

Failing a level 4 a few times is just more opportunities to get out and play. "Failing" doesn't matter. Anyone with a license and a desire to flat fly has lots of room to learn too.

I think this might sound a little cliche, but I really mean it. I wish I had let that part of my learning be more fun and less frustrating.
Owned by Remi #?

Failing a level 4 a few times is just more opportunities to get out and play. "Failing" doesn't matter.

If you fail a level, nationals is probably not in your future. If you fail two levels, freeflying is far from your future.
If you fail a "few" levels, stop skydiving before you kill yourself; take up a hobby that requires no coordination or athleticism.

Haha.

You'll probably end up spending far more than you imagined. So try and structure your spending the best way you can. Join a rookies team and do allot of training jumps and tunnel time. Then you can do what you want, more flat or freeflying. Try and get as much coaching as you can. Try and do productive jumps.

You know I cringe everytime I see the response 'ask a rigger' or 'get a rigger to do it'.

There are a LOT of riggers better than me but there are still only about 4 that I know that I'd let pack my reserve. And some days I'm barely one of them.;)

But newbies coming out of a course like Dave's barely know what they don't know. I was the same way when I was a newbie even after apprentacing for three years.:S

But luckily there are enough skydivers who don't care much who pack their reserve so we have something to practice on!:)
As to instructors, there was one DZO/chief instructor who was god to his students. And he did a good job until he started recommending gear. It took him a while to figure out that wingloading didn't scale forever and several people got smaller rigs than they should have based on his advice.

But to the original poster. Remember that skydiving can't be very hard. You only practice it 30 to 60 seconds at a time (I don't count tunnel, I'm an old fart) and after an hour or two your resonably competent. I can't learn tennis after an hour or two! Or bowling for that matter.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

What everyone else has said is pretty much spot on.

My only honest thing I wish I had known?

How many friends I'd lose.
[:/]
The risk IS there.
Understand it.
Accept it.
Respect it.
Mitigate it as much as you can.
Never forget it is there.
;)
Enjoy it.
:)

This phrase: "It is far better being down here wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were down here". In other words...know your limits. If you don't feel safe, for whatever reason, don't jump. And as a prior poster said, read the SIM. Read, learn, and ask questions (hopefully from a competent instructor).

I wished I had known that just because someone has high jump numbers doesn't mean that they have good advice to give. Look around and see who everyone goes to for help. Then ask that person who they go to for help. Also don't rely solely on any one opinion, especially dzos

1. I wish I'd known how many new friends would die skydiving.

2. I wish I'd known how much money it would cost me.

that begs the question. if you had known going in would you still have?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .