Broke

Here I sit at a crossroad

Well as some people know I am presently sans main canopy, but more importantly I would say I am sans a sane state of mind right now. The full impact of everything didn't hit until I had the time to think about it all. Of course that was during a nice 30 mile bike ride.

It was almost two months since my last visit to the DZ. Granted I was what the USPA calles "Current" is that really current. I remember reading an article in the AOPA magazine, and someone said something to the effect of, "Flying for just a few hours a month is not really staying current at all."

Honestly I feel like I could have died, but I came away completely unscathed.

Before the jump the pilot decided to change the spot.

It all started as a 6 way out of a 206. I sunk out of the formation, and when i was on level with the formation I just could not get back due to the fact that I was at my max lift. In other words I could not get any forward drive. I tried to get to the formation, but it didn't happen. At brake off I watched where everyone was turning and tracking to, so I can pick a clean lane.

I tracked, gave a huge wave off, and made sure that there was absolutely no one around me. I think I took too long here, and it really ate a lot of altitude. According to my protrak I was in the saddle at 2.5k.

My first though on opening was where the fuck is the DZ. Never a good thought. I found the DZ. and checked my altimeter. I was at about 2k. I turned in tword the DZ and then burnt through another 500 feet.

At 1.5k I seriously considered an out, but I didn't take it. It seemed that the others on the jump would make it, so I thought I could too. I actually did make it to the main landing area, but for some really stupid reason I didn't do a penetration check, and I didn't even turn into my base leg at a reasonable altitude. I was way too low, and way too close to the trees when I made my turn onto the base leg. The wind had increased in intensity from what it was at on my previous two jumps, and I got blow into the treeline. I don't really remember if I turned with it or not it all happened way too fast. The left side of my canopy got snagged and I was actually slowed down quite a bit before crashing to the ground.

When I realized that the other guys who I heard shouting were probably scared shitless I shouted, "I'm ok!" A few guys got to my to help me out. Yes I did buy my beer. 12 of Shipyard IPA, and 12 of Saranac Early Spring Brew.

We hung the canopy up on the rigging loft, and it is destroyed. One cell needs to be replaced, and it needs at least 6 patches. The canopy is 15 years old, and is probably close to the end of it's life anyway. I am actually considering hanging the shreaded remains of my canopy on my celing.

I was talking with the resident CRW guru at the DZ, and we were talking about the chain of events that resulted in what happened. The first part of the chain would have been jumping out of the plane in the first place.

It didn't really sink in until later, but now I am contemplating should I be jumping in the first place right now. I feel totally fucked up. My head is a mess. I was also thinking about my kids. One of the thoughts I was thinking is would I want them to live without a father? I love skydiving, but I love my children more than anything else in the world. My son is 7, and my daughter will soon be 5. They are amazing. They love me so much.

Should I take a hiatus, and wait until they are older? Should I wait until I make more money, so I can jump more often, and would really be able to develop the skills more effectively instead of needing a few jumps just to knock off the rust.

I know if I decide to take the hiatus I will miss so much, but I will also be able to put my energy elsewhere, and may be able to gain more in other areas.

Part of the trouble is, is that I found a DZ where I feel I belong, and I don't just want to leave that. I have a place where there are people to hang out with and enjoy sharing stories with as well as a few beers.

I am jut really twisted up inside right now.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

It all started as a 6 way out of a 206. I sunk out of the formation, and when i was on level with the formation I just could not get back due to the fact that I was at my max lift. In other words I could not get any forward drive. I tried to get to the formation, but it didn't happen. At brake off I watched where everyone was turning and tracking to, so I can pick a clean lane.

One of the best ways to "get back up" to the formation is to track in a circle around the formation. Tracking is the best way to get "max lift", and you already have the forward drive. Just make sure to slow down before docking.:D

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Broke,
When and where did this happen??? I'm glad to hear you're ok brotha!

I ama complete noob still, but it simply sounds like you made a judgment call (which initially stemmed from the pilot changing the spot), and regardless of why you made that decision, you came out of it ok. It doesn't necessarily mean you should give up the sport, but you simply need to re-evaluate.

Look at it this way: If this decision might be a chain of incorrect decisions you've made consistently in the last few months, then maybe you might have needed to step away from the sports for a while. But from what it sounds like, it was a combination of the pilot changing his/her mind at last minute & you making a judgment call. You can chat with the pilot to make sure it doesn't happen again, or simply ask them to do another jump run to get you to the proper spot, or simply ride the plane down if you don't want to jump for whatever reason.

On the other hand, maybe at this point in time, your family means more then the adrenaline rush. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! And sometimes, we have to give up something we love for the sake of our loved ones. If you feel that way, then take a break. Put away your gear, maintain the social contacts you've established with various skydiving friends, hang out for social hour & beers once in a while...but take a break from the sport. Spend more time with your family, develop your knowledge/expertise in other areas (as you mentioned) and come back when you're ready. If you don't come back, then it's not meant to be. But if you choose to come back at some point in time because you won't be happy unless you're free-falling at 120mph, your family will understand. And just like you gave up skydiving for a period of time for them, they'll understand that it makes you happy and you can't be without it. They'll make the sacrifice for you just like you made it for them.

The good thing is this: if you chose to step away for a bit & come back in the future, the sky will still be there for you, and it will be just as welcoming as it was before. :)

The good thing is this: if you chose to step away for a bit & come back in the future, the sky will still be there for you, and it will be just as welcoming as it was before.

+1
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

You will never regret spending time with your children. You might regret skydiving; people DO have life changing injuries and die in the sport. It’s a personal choice that no one can make for you. But as someone else said the sky will always be there should you decide to take a break.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I know. I just need to get it out. My world is not a very happy place right now

DUUUUDE..

I took off 20 years to make sure a little onehad someone there for him... I stillmanagedd to stay in the sky... ultralights.... paragliding... hangliding.... and yes I did consider them safer than jumping.. especially back in the early 80's

Take care of you .. and take care of the little ones... the sky is there... and during my break the gear got exponentially better. hell they might even invent something to prevent tree landings for you:):)

I know. I just need to get it out. My world is not a very happy place right now

DUUUUDE..

I took off 20 years to make sure a little onehad someone there for him... I stillmanagedd to stay in the sky... ultralights.... paragliding... hangliding.... and yes I did consider them safer than jumping.. especially back in the early 80's

Take care of you .. and take care of the little ones... the sky is there... and during my break the gear got exponentially better. hell they might even invent something to prevent tree landings for you:):)

See! I knew you soft in the middle!;):)
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

Why were you on a 6 way if you were feeling that uncurrent? If you want to jump, fine. Just stay within your comfort zones. A solo or two way with a high pull might have been better for you.

I recommend you take some canopy control lessons. Although you were coming back from a long spot with a strong wind, you never mentioned using your rear risers to get you back with less altitude loss. Did you do a braked flat turn into the wind, or just your normal toggle turn? You say the wind pushed you into the trees. Did you back into them or slide in sideways? The latter case means you were off the wind line.

Sorry if I sound like a hard ass, but I'm a jumping dad too. If you want to lessen your risk so the little ones will continue to have a dad, learn to fly your canopy, and stay off big loads when you feel uncurrent. Make sure your life insurance pays off if you get killed skydiving. I'm not being morbid; I'm telling you what I did. :)

Yep, bigway organizers are always encouraging jumpers to start zooming around the sky if they go low. Works best when at least a couple people are doing it. :)
Dave

:D:D
The more the merrier I always say!
Figure 8 racing in the sky is always fun....video.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

But John dear....... he likes trees...... trust me on this....mmmmkkkk >:(

...and that's exactly why I was wondering...what in the hell was the beer for?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Really?

You could have the best of both worlds, youb know.. I know where there is a cessna 206 turbine for sale :)

Anyway, to the OP - Good luck with your decision! But even if you decide that skydiving does not have a place in your life at this point, there is no reason you should lose all those social contacts... I bet you'd be welcome around the bonfire anytime. :)
'sides - there must be loads of stuff you can do for the DZ..packing/manifesting for instance - just so you don't lose your touch and perhaps earn some cash you can set aside for when you return to the skies.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I recommend doing some hop and pops every other weekend while you contemplate your goals,,,keeps you from getting depressed and still keeps in the breeze while keeping you out of flying with others and hard decks,,etc....blue skies in the mean time
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Because we can't find a turbine, so we want to simulate the experince as best as possible.

Nice! That was seriously the funniest thing I've read here in a long time. So true. When the spot correction buttons are close enough for the pilot to reach over and smack the jumper pressing them, you probably don't need the buttons. :)
Dave

Sounds like me 28 years ago. I made a break after a small incident and have just started to come back. (sort of... 6 tandems and AFF later in year) The kids are now nearly adults and money is better. Skydiving will be there for you when you are ready.

Of course only you can decide this.. just telling you my story

I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??