flyer299

Pics of a Line Twist

Anyone know where I can find a picture of a line twist. The type a student would expect to see on student gear, nothing like a high speed malfuction line twist?

Thanks

http://pics.kaybee.org/skydiving/misc/line-twists.jpg
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/emergencies/photos/142-a-l.jpg

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Every time I got them they were pretty obvious. That being said, there were photographs of them on my FJC.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I know how to do al that, but on other forums I visit this url thingy is done automaticly.. so I keep forgetting the bloddy thing.
And hey, I started up google for him, he may do some work aswell!

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

that looks like the kind you'd cut away from, since they encompass the entire line lenght - right?

You should've cut away long before it gets that bad...

You tend to only see line twists that bad when it's a spinning malfunction. You'll know when you're in a spinning malfunction rather then simple line twists because the canopy continues to wind up faster then you can kick out of (low wingloading), or you're literally spinning around the parachute on your back (higher wingloading)

I'll try to remember to bring my laptop out to the DZ this weekend and I'll show you the jump-track graph of the spinning malfunction I had last fall. The pro-track read a vertical speed that was actually faster then freefall, under a spinning main.

Spinning malfunctions need to be delt with quickly, you're burning altitidude just as fast as freefall. I would hope to deal with it long before it gets that bad.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Andy, I've experienced line twists in a spectre 230 which were pinning my neck down - they were so bad that they involved the risers. However, I was not spinning, and fought myself clear of them. In hindsight, I should've cut.

My point is they can be that bad (and perhaps worse - I dunno, I didn't see them), and not be spinning.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

that looks like the kind you'd cut away from, since they encompass the entire line lenght - right?

yes, unless you arent spinning and the canopy is flying straight, provided you have enough altitude to get out of the twists. as you can see in the post below yours, someone already has decided how i should have dealt with the mal, but they werent under it ( i say mal, eventhough line twists generally arent considered a mal, and ill explain why im say mal)
this ended up the way you see it, because a packer decided to ( he says he thinks this is what he did) triple stow my lines. when i pitched between 3500 and 3000, i noticed for a second something was weird. when i looked up, all i had was a spinning ball of shit. when i reached to chop the streamer that was spinning up tighter, it slammed open at what my pro track says is 1861 ft. i kicked out of about 8 of them pretty quickly, except what i hadnt noticed till i saw the vid from the person following me is because my canopy was twisted up to the top, it was not flat, but kinda horseshoe shaped, hence i was dropping pretty fast. i looked at the ground, decided i wouldnt be out of the twists in time to land, and chopped at what id say was approx 1000 ft and immediately deployed my reserve.

now, had these twists just spun up after opening, (now thats alot of twists to stay under if its spinning up) it would have probably taken a while. ive already had 2 mals of spinning on your back spiraling shit that just keeps getting worse and said fuk it real quick.

do what ya have to and keep a cool head, its your ass when yer under it .

if you want to see the streamer that led up to the pic ya saw, just go to the malfunctions section of dz.com photo submission section on the homepage.

blue ones

[QUOTE]The pro-track read a vertical speed that was actually faster then freefall, under a spinning main.[QUOTE]

How is this possible? I'd like to see the graphs, but could you explain how this is even theoretically possible?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

had some nasty twists this weekend...

at first i thought, oh ok, a few twists, shouldnt be a problem.
but then it was almost impossible to clear it.
just as i was starting to think of chopping, i managed to fix it.
was a bit scary, since its the first time i even thought of chopping.
oh well, life goes on ;)

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Hello all

the video of the line twists
http://users.skynet.be/sky37022/twist.avi
does not seem to work.

Does anyone has another one to show a student with 1 S/L jump what do when it happens (its always good to see an example although I do know the theory

)

many thanks
Johan

Why didn't you see pictures of line twist and an explanation of how to deal with them in your ground school.

Get off the net and go ask your instructors!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Thank you for your enormous positive and helpful response. It is much appreciated. I hope it did not take you too much time to answer either.

Like I said, I was learned and know what to do, but does it harm to see more of it ?????

Thanks again !

Hey Andy and Erica,

The interesting thing I saw right away in this picture is that the risers were uneven. So it has a built in turn that is locked into the twisted lines. I learned a long time ago from Nathan Dexter to try and get the risers even if you feel the lines twisting up before they get loaded so heavily that you can't do anything.

One more thing....this guy's line twist is almost to the riser. A few more inches and he may not be able to cutaway if the yellow cable gets pinched and he does not have hard housings in the risers. Now that would suck.