juniorlawrence

Skydiving with friends, scared as hell

Junior, for starters I'd recommend you go to the Home Page and look at the "5 Steps to Getting Started" articles (lower left corner of the page). these include an article on assessing the risks. I like to tell my friends that skydiving is a reasonably safe sport, but you can get seriously hurt - or killed. That doesn't happen very often to a first time jumper, but it can.

Going jumping with your friends can be a lot of fun - but if you don't want to jump, don't let your friends bully you into it either. Jumping is NOT for everyone and nobody should ever jump unless they want to. Period. You can still have a good time if you go along and bring a camera or videocam. You can take pics or shoot vids of your friends on the ground as they suit up, board the plane, and after they land.

It's your own private decision. But read up on those articles and see if they're any help.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

So I have some friends that are thinking about skydiving in a month, tandem. What is the "likelyhood" for problems?

It's a bad idea to go along with a group for a skydive based solely upon peer pressure from the group.

Skydiving is something that you should want to do for yourself, independent of anyone else's expectations.

If you're uncomfortable with the idea, just say "no".

skydiving is the most unsafe dangerous risky thing you can do.. I mean.. you have seen tv right? These guys here are basket cases. Don't do it!!!! Never would I fly on a plane where I have to sit on the floor, while the pilot eats a sandwich while flying a plane that has a big hole in the side so people can easily fall out.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

skydiving is the most unsafe dangerous risky thing you can do.. I mean.. you have seen tv right? These guys here are basket cases. Don't do it!!!! Never would I fly on a plane where I have to sit on the floor, while the pilot eats a sandwich while flying a plane that has a big hole in the side so people can easily fall out.

I gotta call 'Bullshit' on that one...:S

What DZ feeds the pilot?! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I guess even skydivers have a good sense of humor. LOL.

I guess I am interested in doing it for the "feeling" , I think I am 50/50 on it right now. I was looking for replies like: "Hell man do it" or the "You only live once" or "My grandmother jumps stop being such a ...." things like that.

I guess I am interested in doing it for the "feeling" , I think I am 50/50 on it right now. I was looking for replies like: "Hell man do it" or the "You only live once" or "My grandmother jumps stop being such a ...." things like that.

There in is the problem, you do only live once.

If something were to happen skydiving, you would feel pretty dumb if you got dead doing something you really didn't wanna do.

On the plus side, you wouldn't feel dumb for very long.... ;)

Ok, hell man do it! You only live once! My grandparents are gone, but my jump partner is a grandfather.

Serously, there are risks. You can get hurt or killed. Tandem students are one of the lower risk groups, but it isn't "safe".

However, you can get killed doing just about anything. I've had more close calls on my motorcycle than skydiving. You can wrap yourself in bubble wrap and hide in the basement if you want to be "safe"

It is like nothing else in the world, and an experience you won't ever forget.

Edit to add: Keep in mind you are jumping from a perfectly good (more or less) airplane that is 2 miles above the ground. If you aren't scared, there is something wrong with you.;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

All of those answers apply too. What else do you do that is stupid? If it's only play with the WII then maybe not. If it's ski, skate board, ride a motorcycle, rock climb, SCUBA, drive in LA traffic (oh that's a given) then maybe your willing to add risk for appropriate benefit in fun, thrills, fright, adreneline.;)

You will be adding risk, but not much. The problem is the possible out come when that risk bites you. But there is a reason people do this thousands of times.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hey Junior go to the dropzone and watch some people skydive, Heck you could even go for an observation ride to watch people skydive i tihnk they only charge like 35 dollars for an observation ride.I would go out to Lake Elsinore, and have a talk with them out there.Its a very nice and friendly dropzone, They allso have an internet special for tandems with video and still pictures. check out there website www.skydiveelsinore.com.

Heck if it wasn't terrifying.... what would the point be?

As said before, do it for YOU. Don't let folks pressure you into it.

Here are the most likely hazards: (fairly likely to happen, low risk)

1. You will love it. You will devote the rest of your life and your money to doing over and over again. B|B|B|

2. You will not buy video and will forget much of the jump due to sensory overload. [:/][:/]

3. You will hate it and wonder why on earth you spent so much money on something you hate. :|:|

Hazards which are moderately likely and moderately bad:

1. Broken ankle due to not following instructor instructions.

2. You will pass out/puke and embarrass yourself in front of your "friends". :$

Hazards which are unlikely and REALLY bad:

1. Death. :(

Whatever you choose, enjoy it and live the moment fully!!!

Smile, relax, breathe!!! :)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I gotta call 'Bullshit' on that one...:S

What DZ feeds the pilot?! :ph34r:

we do. some poor sod witnessed this.
dudeist skydiver #42

I wrote a book in 2003 specifically for people like you who wonder what the training is all about, and how to get started. It is called "JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy", and was published by McGraw-Hill. Unfortunately it is now out of print, but there are some used copies floating around, and I think the Skydiving Book Service still has it in stock. Check out the sales page for SBS at http://www.skydivingmagazine.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SBS&Product_Code=JSMFE&Category_Code=1B, or see the reviews on Amazon.com. (for that simply click on the link in my signature).

The book has a solid chapter about the psychology of jumping as a student, and another chapter with statistics (in date as of the publication). I think it is just what you are looking for.

Skydiving is a ton of fun, but as others have mentioned, it isn't for everybody. You can be injured or killed. Tandem is probably the safest learning program, but ankle injuries are not unheard of. Also as others have said, make sure you are doing it because you want to, and not because of peer pressure. You note that going with your friends may be just the thing you need to get over the hump, and that's fine. Just be sure you really want to do it. For some people having friends along makes the whole experience better, while for others it's better to go alone. Whatever. Make an informed decision and then do what's right for you.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

So the feeling of "fear" never leaves you when you jump numerous times?

Not for me, or a lot of people I know. I'm not paralyzed with fear or anything like that, but I still get nervous in the plane.
No matter how many times you jump, the risk is still there. If the fear ever goes away, it's time to quit, because then I'll be getting complacent and that can be very dangerous.

This is something I was taught by an instructor with over 1000 jumps. And yes, he gets nervous too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

if you can't handle the possibility of being hurt or killed then maybe you shouldn't do a tandem. Skydiving is dangerous.

Who told you that :S;)

Seriously though.... To the original poster.

You will likely have a great time and the jump will be fine.

But, no one can guarantee anything in life....so you need to be aware of that when you sign the disclaimer saying you are aware of that :)
Here is a very good article from the BPA (UK equivalent of the USPA) that is titled 'how dangerous is skydiving'..

http://www.bpa.org.uk/stay-safe/how-safe

This is what it says about Tandems

Tandem jumps

The novice is strapped to an experienced instructor. They share a modern, extra-large, 'square' parachute. After a freefall of several thousand feet, the instructor opens the parachute. The instructor deals with any emergencies. The dual control parachute lets the novice practice canopy control and the instructor controls the landing. The injury rate is about 1.54 injuries/1000jumps (about 1 injury per 650 jumps) and varies only little for men or women. The fatality rate is about 0.4 per 100,000 jumps.

This is a great way to be introduced to the sport, requires very little training and probably carries the lowest risk profile. However, it does not leave you ready to continue in the sport and much more training will be required before a solo jump.

I would say the biggest risk is liking it too much..

For xmas in 07 I did a tandem @ Elsinore with my daughter and came back 3 months later to get my A license.

Its been a year since then and most of my time and cash goes to skydiving.

It has changed my life in numerous ways, most of them good imo (I am pretty sure my wife would disagree.)

btw, its only $25 for the observer ride at elsinore (last I heard anyways)

Seriously, it is dangerous if things go wrong, but the risk vs reward in this case makes it worth it. (again, my wife would disagree, she wont even take the oberver ride!)

I would suggest you come out to Elsinore, its a great DZ (but then again I have only done 1 jump anywhere else so what do I know?)
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Its been a year since then and most of my time and cash goes to skydiving.

I was checking out the waiver this weekend, it's says among the usual things...

Not responsible for bankruptcy, divorce, alcoholism...:D:D:D