half-a-greek

Pull up cord alternates?

I have used a shoestring before, but be careful with the aglet (the plastic end). It can be kind of a pain to pull out of the closing loop, and I've read here before about it causing a total when it got stuck in the loop.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I have used a shoestring before, but be careful with the aglet (the plastic end). It can be kind of a pain to pull out of the closing loop, and I've read here before about it causing a total when it got stuck in the loop.

I agree on the aglet.

I tried to close my rig with a shoelace, ripped the aglet right off before I could pull it out.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

To use a shoelace, or any other pull up cord for that matter, close the first 3 flaps normally. When you get to the last flap, keep downward pressure on the last flap with either your knee or your thumb. Insert the pin into the loop but don't release the pressure so the pin takes the flap pressure.

Carefully withdraw the lace or cord. Voila, you don't tear off the aglet and your closing loop suffers no damage. If you do this all the time, your loops should last longer.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Yeah, but my rig is a bitch to close even with a packtool... so it wouldnt work for me.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just packed the rig with a shoelace and it worked just fine.

There was a fatality in the past few years when someone who had used a shoe lace for a pack job had the plastic tip (the "aglet") come off the shoe lace and get jammed in the closing loop. Horseshoe malfuntion was the end result.

There was a fatality in the past few years when someone who had used a shoe lace for a pack job had the plastic tip (the "aglet") come off the shoe lace and get jammed in the closing loop. Horseshoe malfuntion was the end result.

Ya might wanna attend safety day next time around.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The best pull up cord I've ever used - was (and still after few hundred jumps is) was simple flashdrive lace (for wearind the flashdrive on your neck) cutted from his drive))

It's thin (not need to match the poited ends together as for stantard pullupcord, easily going through the grommets)
long
made from soft but strong material (does not hurt your palm, easily pulled away from the closing loop and hurt it less)
takes less place wherever you'd shove it
etc...
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Try again. Thanks for playing.

I've used a cotton shoelace with the ends (I've never used the term "aglet" and I see no reason to start now) cut off for years. I think it's the same ones since I don't remember buying blue shoelaces more than once!. No damage to the closing loop. Also, I slide the cord under the pin before pulling it out so it's not sliding against the closing loop. Just twist the frayed ends together when pushing through the grommets.