dj_smokie

Thoughts before "going in"

Track for trees or water or something soft if possible ;)

NEVER give up!!!

What if you fall out of your harness?

At that point I bet you would be thinking, fuck I wish I had brought a pistol with me.

I lost a friend who came out of his harness... I can't imagine the horror he was going through. My 1st jump at Sebastian after he died... that thought totally consumed me... :(
Always be kinder than you feel.

>At normal cruise altitude, I assume I would freeze or pass out pretty quickly.

I doubt it. I've jumped from 30K with just a jumpsuit and shorts and was OK - and I've jumped from 26K with no bailout O2. The temperature at 30K is around -40F average, and that's definitely doable for a minute or so without freezing solid.

At 35K, assuming the plane disintegrated instantly, you'd have around 30 seconds of consciousness, and you might make it to breathable air in that time (considering how much faster you'd be falling at those altitudes.)

skydiving would give me a huge advantage compared to the rest of the passengers now hurtling toward the ground. I could try to do some RW with one of them

yeah I was actualy laughing out loud just picturing some skydiver trying to do RW with one of the falling passengers

(On the less serious side of this thread:)

In that aircraft breakup situation maybe I'd put on the best track I've ever done, track like hell, and go in miles away from everything else.

Show that one was able to think straight until the end.

The investigators would be scratching their heads, while working through the aircraft breakup sequence and thinking about ballistic coefficients. Figure that one out!

But the skydivers would know. We'd all like to be remembered for something, and I'd hope some that skydivers, hoisting a beer around the campfire, would remember and admit, "That was one awesome track he had going!".

Last Feb. I was involved in a canopy collision at 100' which left me with 1/3 of a canopy, spinning on my back. After the "What the fuck was that", I started pumping the remaining toggle and grabbing lines to do SOMETHING. The survival instinct kind of takes over, and IT WORKED!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Scenario: Commercial plane breaks up and everyone is ejected.

One guy I know said he'd fly up to someone tumbling and correct their body position.

Once done and they were falling stable he'd yell in their ear. "You're gonna be okay now!!!"

When they'd look at him with hope in their eyes or yell back "Really?"
He'd yell back "Noooo!!!"
Then fly to the next one.

:P

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

But the skydivers would know. We'd all like to be remembered for something, and I'd hope some that skydivers, hoisting a beer around the campfire, would remember and admit, "That was one awesome track he had going!".

You're absolutely right. However, I want to be remembered as the guy that found a way to survive!!! After all, I'm an asshole and a braggart. I want to be the one telling the story. And, I want a chance to embellish it. Oh, what a story I’ll tell. No shit, there I was…….…
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

When my parachute slammed into high voltage power lines at night and collapsed I was thinking “Oh fuck, crap, fuck, fuck, fuck. I fucked up. Fuck it, crap, I fucked up.” Then I hit the ground and was instantly paralyzed as the power lines slapped together, threatening to fall and electrocute me. My thoughts at that moment were “Oh fucking crap. I really fucked up but I might get out alive. Oh fuck I can’t move. Crap. Fucking crap.” It just went on like that until the power lines stopped slamming together and I recovered enough to move my arms and legs, then I just wanted to take off the jump suit and rig so they wouldn’t be cut by the rescue squad.

If I had a long time till impact, as in the lack of a rig scenario suggested here, I’d probably start by thinking how I had screwed up, then track like a madman straight at the ground wondering if it was going to hurt. As I got really close, the ground rush would probably make me smile, and I’d be thinking about how my heart was racing, and how friggin fast I was moving. Then in the last few seconds I’d be working super hard to stay streamlined so I slammed in fast enough so that hopefully it wouldn’t hurt.

I don’t know, that’s just my guess as to how it might play out. But heck, I might pee in my pants and cry all the way down.

I hope it never happens, but if it does I promise to write a mushy post about my innermost feelings and share it with the world…oh wait, I can’t do that. Crap.

Stay safe in Iraq.:)

At your memorial we can say that fucker was a really fucking nice fucker. He fucking skydived with us and we all fucking loved that fucker. Fuck he was one of the fucking best fuckers we ever fucking knew. Praise the fucking lord.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

You're absolutely right. However, I want to be remembered as the guy that found a way to survive!!! After all, I'm an asshole and a braggart. I want to be the one telling the story. And, I want a chance to embellish it. Oh, what a story I’ll tell. No shit, there I was…….…

I have a friend who was doing a demo from 3K.
Bag lock and his reserve wrapped around it.
He went through a citrus tree and landed in some soft sand. Broke almost everything.

Every time he tells the story, he was going 5mph faster.
Ya know what? If you live through that, you get to
tell it any way you want.
B|

Last Feb. I was involved in a canopy collision at 100' which left me with 1/3 of a canopy, spinning on my back. After the "What the fuck was that", I started pumping the remaining toggle and grabbing lines to do SOMETHING. The survival instinct kind of takes over, and IT WORKED!

And you're back!! YAY!! B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

I have a friend who was doing a demo from 3K.
Bag lock and his reserve wrapped around it.
He went through a citrus tree and landed in some soft sand. Broke almost everything.

Every time he tells the story, he was going 5mph faster.
Ya know what? If you live through that, you get to
tell it any way you want.
B|

Was his Name Arch Deal?

When I found myself sub-400 at terminal, with all the handles pulled and nothing happening, I thought about the people watching, "man, they're going to thinkin' he pulled off more then he can chew this time...." Then I saw my girlfriend's face in the field below me, and got a bit sad for a second.... then I just wowed at the groundrush, man, if you ain't seen it from 300' at terminal, it's impossible to describe.... I knew right where I was gonna hit....

Then, the reserve opened.

On the other hand, when I had fewer jumps, after cutting away from my first malfunction I did an accidental backloop (using r-3's), then, instead of pulling the reserve right away, I figured I only got one shot left, I don't want to know too soon if it's not gonna work, so I did a couple more backloops before pulling the handle.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Track for trees or water or something soft if possible ;)

NEVER give up!!!

What if you fall out of your harness?

At that point I bet you would be thinking, fuck I wish I had brought a pistol with me.

I lost a friend who came out of his harness... I can't imagine the horror he was going through. My 1st jump at Sebastian after he died... that thought totally consumed me... :(

Well that little possibility is the MAIN fear I have of parachuting. Seriously. I am constantly checking my leg straps and chest strap.

Once a long time ago on about my 15th jump my chest strap came up to my chin on opening and I was near shitting myself worrying about falling out of the harness.

Oh and I was hanging on to the damn risers for dear life just in case I did happen to slip out, maybe I could hold on for 2000 ft just hanging there.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

There is a bunch of fine skydiver specimen, not visiting DZ.com. (older the better)

A friend, one of those, had a low Slammer - totally incapacitating all his body parts.
In his words:
"shit... I'm alive, ok...but can't move... shit, pff, there's a village coming, ok... pff, shit, roof tops, shit, I'll end up in somebody's attic with antenna up my ass... wow, the village is passing under me... Great!... pff...shit, there are some trees, shit, branches and stuff, shit... ok, the trees are passing under, Yes, Yes!....pfff, the powerlines are coming... Shit... stupid way to go... wait, wait... Wow! they passed too! That's it - there's a meadow.... Great! I have a chance! Wait, wait, there's a creek... shit, shit, how deep is it? A foot deep? SHIT! I don't beleive it - after all I'm gonna drown!"

A scratch or two, after two days in a hospital, he started moving his fingers and so on.

I'm almost ashamed for not having similar experience on my own.

That said, the been-there posts are probably some of the better reading on dz.com.

Wendy P.

What goes around, comes later.

never in the air, touch wood... thou once was closed to loosing the rig in free fall...

been in a car crash. one second see my husband in the car, the car is rolling and flying over the road, next - he is gone. second later - i am out the window, still attached barely with the safety belt, but legs and torso are going to be smashed by the car... the time stretches and the adrenaline kicks in. basic instinct - survival.

i walked away. my first sky dive with his ashes in my bra, scattered him on the way down.
i was sure i had no chances surviving, thought "f..k". the body reacted, the brain reacted faster than i could think.

makes you love life ;-)

First of all, thanks for your service and be safe.

I got a couple of stories...even though it's not the same scenario you are asking about I wanted to share mine, too.

I have also been in a similar situation as another who replied, got open under my reserve at 300 feet. That time I was still trying of course but cutaway a little low and had a hard pull on my reserve. Finally got it pulled just in time.

Another time I got stuck in a downplane until about 1 second or so prior to impact. Nothing to do on that one, but my partner in the downplane got us both out of it at the last second by flipping himself to face up, twisted both my ankles badly but we lived!

The ground rush was VERY intense both times.

Both times I thought I was dead, both times I profoundly just said "Shit." I guess that surprised me since I'm a Christian I wouldn't have guessed my last word would be cussing, rather than praying.

In your scenario, I'd like to think I'd actually manage a quick prayer and find some peace at the end, but I really have no idea how I'd react. My thoughts might turn to my young kids I'd be leaving behind and that would be sooo hard for those last seconds.

Who was it?

Djaja, don't know how many jumps but story checked with mutual friends.
Around 55-60 years young.
White flying suit - red swan on the ass :ph34r:

Lots of experience, can hold his liquer and you can count all of his 42 teeth any time.
One fine specimen of a skydiver!

It's a damn shame we can't live in a country named The Republic of Boogie, inhabited by skydivers only.
What goes around, comes later.

I'm in Iraq right now and have been bored for the past 4 hours. And if you've ever been out here, you know that boredome is a million times worse than being busy.

My experiences here so far have caused me to question my mortality.

So, I pose this morbid question: If you were in a no-win situation where "fighting it to the end" would make no difference (ex: no rig in freefall, fall out of harness, etc) -- what would go through your mind? Let's say that you are at 10,000 ft when this SOL situation occurs.

Personally, I would know that I have about 50-60 seconds until impact. My first thought would be, "F*ck, I'm going to die. This really sucks." Then I think I would accept the fact that I'm going to die then try to enjoy my last skydive. At the point I start getting ground rush, I'd probably close my eyes and think, "This is it..." and burn in.

Of course, this is all speculation. We know from observation that the human will to survive is an incredible force. So, even while realizing that I am most certainly going to die, I might scream and flail the entire way down.

Thoughts?

Big Steve Hobbs went in under a bag-locked reserve after cutting away a main mal on a borrowed rig. When they found him he had climbed half way up his reserve lines.

Guess we know what he was thinking.

Never give up.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Big Steve Hobbs went in under a bag-locked reserve after cutting away a main mal on a borrowed rig. When they found him he had climbed half way up his reserve lines.

Guess we know what he was thinking.

Never give up.

Sounds kind of like what I said when I was a kid. "If you're ever in a plane that's going down, just jump right before it hits the ground!"
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan