Jkralovec

Aim for the trees?

While reading the thread about a horseshoe caused by a loose toggle I got to thinking...What if her reserve didn't clear the ball of shit?

What if she was stuck with a half inflated reserve.

In this Low Speed Mal, where would you try to land?

Water, trees, greenhouses?

If you're decidedly f*cked, what would you do?

Your question only matters if the jumper can even steer the canopy to a landing zone of there preference.

If you could, I guess you just kinda have to pick your poison. Some greenhouses are made of glass... trees may get you a stick up your ass... and water may drown you when the ball of crap settles over your head...
I might go for the water, there's no broken glass or sticks up your ass when your drowning.

In a situation like that, chances are you will have very little or no control. Be ready to PLF no matter what your going to land into/on.

You've watched too many movies. Greenhouses?:o:S

Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

IF you survive it won't be because you steered toward one thing or another.

BTW if you grab the grass and don't bounce you don't get hurt.;)

If you look very hard you can find photos of me hanging in a tree under the headline "Miracle in the sky! Tree snags unopened parachute and saves skydivers life!" (Different time than the 'been there' above refers to.;))

I've maintained for years that if the tree hadn't of been there I would have been fine. But because the tree was there and I hit the crotch of two branches with something other than a fully open parachute my leg was shattered and I've hurt every day. But, maybe the tree did save me.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you have a low speed malfunction (or indeed any kind of mal) then chances are you're going to be too busy trying to clear it to think about where would be best to land.

And if your canopy isn't the right shape to fly properly then you're not going to be steering it anywhere - the best you could hope for is to keep it from spiralling, and so keep yourself underneath it.

There's not a lot of time for in-air rigging in a situation like that, but you do what you can. That may include hauling in what you can and trying to pull whatever loose that you can. If you don't try, you won't accomplish anything.

As far as where you land, there was a well-known videographer a few years ago, who rode an uninflated reserve into a big tree. The canopy caught in the tree and stopped his descent. The tree then broke and he was busted up pretty well from the fall, but without the tree, he probably would not have survived.

Kevin K.

Or your fucking packers car.

A packer can afford a CAR?! :o

Doubles as their apartment. Big money saver,
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

...aim for a fat chick.

beat me to it. . . hahah.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

While reading the thread about a horseshoe caused by a loose toggle I got to thinking...What if her reserve didn't clear the ball of shit?

What if she was stuck with a half inflated reserve.

In this Low Speed Mal, where would you try to land?

Water, trees, greenhouses?

Aim for the peas. If ya come up short, yer liver might still make it.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX