jf951

skydiving with ipods

i've noticed quite a few people at the DZ skydiving with headphones.
is it distracting in freefall? can you even hear it?
i figure i should wait till i have a few more jumps before i should try it, or does it not really make that big of a difference

and what do u guys listen to who jump with them?

joey
Jump more, Bitch less.

It's really cool to listen to music while in freefall and under canopy.

Don't worry about those who will tell you it's distracting, or that you need your ears to listen for other people near you under canopy. That's what eyeballs are for! Turn up the volume, and enjoy!

Oh, and be sure to spend a lot of time fiddling with it on jump run, because that's more important than checking your gear, or concentrating on the dive plan. You gotta have the music right.

I like Metallica. And the Kingston Trio.

i figure i should wait till i have a few more jumps before i should try it, or does it not really make that big of a difference

joey

I often take a little DVD player with me and watch a short movie whilst in freefall - or one of my soaps that i've not had the time to catch up with.

It's amazing how much you can fit into a skydive whilst multi-tasking ...:S:S:S

I was trying to watch one whilst BASE jumping the other day but couldn't find a program short enough - does anyone have any suggestions :P:P:P

Don't worry about those who will tell you it's distracting, or that you need your ears to listen for other people near you under canopy. That's what eyeballs are for! Turn up the volume, and enjoy!

:D

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

joey

I often take a little DVD player with me and watch a short movie whilst in freefall - or one of my soaps that i've not had the time to catch up with.

It's amazing how much you can fit into a skydive whilst multi-tasking ...:S:S:S

I was trying to watch one whilst BASE jumping the other day but couldn't find a program short enough - does anyone have any suggestions :P:P:P

something representing your sex life? =D
IHYD

Anybody know how to get coffee out of a keyboard?! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've begun to jump regularly with music. A good headphone/helmet combination will allow you to hear the music clearly, however I know I'll be pounced on by the whole of the forum if I suggest anything; so I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

It hasn't been a distraction to me but I definitely see how it could be to some people. I don't use it my MP3 player when jumping with more than one person, but I've seen no harm with using one on solo and 2-way jumps.

If you do end up using one, set up a playlist before going to the DZ, and don't touch it from the period of final gear checks 'til you're clear of the landing area. I cut off the music (by pulling the cable out of the jack) as soon as I land.

If for any reason you get distracted, don't cut off the MP3 player until you're under a functioning canopy.

And before anybody gets all grumpy and ready to attack, it's better to give sound advice than a "no" and no advice at all.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

I've begun to jump regularly with music. A good headphone/helmet combination will allow you to hear the music clearly, however I know I'll be pounced on by the whole of the forum if I suggest anything; so I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

It hasn't been a distraction to me but I definitely see how it could be to some people. I don't use it my MP3 player when jumping with more than one person, but I've seen no harm with using one on solo and 2-way jumps.

If you do end up using one, set up a playlist before going to the DZ, and don't touch it from the period of final gear checks 'til you're clear of the landing area. I cut off the music (by pulling the cable out of the jack) as soon as I land.

If for any reason you get distracted, don't cut off the MP3 player until you're under a functioning canopy.

And before anybody gets all grumpy and ready to attack, it's better to give sound advice than a "no" and no advice at all.

+1

....I often take a little DVD player with me and watch a short movie whilst in freefall - or one of my soaps that i've not had the time to catch up with....

The iPod Touch or new Nano has video. You can transition from a movie to music just before you exit.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

i like having music on the ride up but i dont wanna jump out with something i like to be able to concetrate with no distractions in freefall. cant hear shit out of my fullface anyways so i highly doubt i can hear someone yelling at me under canopy.

As long as I am not on a work jump (IAD, Tandem, ect.) and I am not on a jump with newer jumpers I enjoy music on the way up and sometimes I listen to it on the jump also. I use a Sandisk Sansa clip with ear buds. if you use passive noise canceling headphones you can hear it in freefall quite easily.

It is extra equipment, it is extra risk, and it does require extra consideration.

I was not comfortable enough to listen to music on the way up until about 700 jumps and not comfortable enough to jump with music until about 1200 jumps.

Just my story
Ryan

Jeeeez... what's wrong with you kids... doen't anyone just read books anymore:P

Hey... who has time.

Think of... Speedskydiving to THIS

With good editing... AWSUM. just keep it SHORT to 40 sec;):)

300 MPH+ WHAT A RUSH

I've never had the desire to listen to exciting music on a jump.

It's always been songs from Viva la Vida, the more relaxed Infected Mushroom pieces, and some other chill music. If you're going to try jumping to music, I strongly suggest Strawberry Swing the first time.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

I've been thinking of using an ipod for the ride to altitude (single C182 DZ), never for freefall/canopy though.

Freefall, doesn't bother me TOO much (I wouldn't jump with said people), you're being a bit silly.

Under canopy though, anyone with earphones/music deserves a punch in the face, how dare you endanger the lives of others by being so selfish.

If someone has at least 100 jumps, there shouldn't be any problem listening to tunes on the way down. Music isn't a distraction. There really won't be any changes in what has always happened on previous jumps..nothing you really would need to be ready to react to or pay that little extra attention to...it's all pretty routine. And you still have three other senses to rely on (smell, sight, touch) SMELL fear as you SEE and FEEL impact with something or someone. Landings..heck..nothing ever changes compared to prior jumps. There really aren't a whole lot of things during the skydiving activity that can go wrong nowadays (unlike the years of past)..most have an AAD anyway.. Much more important to add distraction to a safe sport due to the importance of the riff, choreography and crescendo of that tune. Rock on Beethoven! We will meet you soon.

This is sound advice?? Wow!!!

You don't think it's better to be able to hear other jumpers / warning shouts when under canopy?

Have you ever heard of near misses under canopy? Seen any canopy collisions? Seen any near misses on landings? Been in cloud after opening where shouting under canopy is seen by many as a good idea to let other people know where you are (lots of people on this site jump outside the US where being in cloud after opening can and does happen)?

Each to their own but I would like to give myself every opportunity to detect someone close to me when under canopy. And I don't want un-necessary distractions in freefall either. So no music for me.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Top 10 Reasons to not jump with an Ipod:

10. Might not hear last minute instructions in the plane.
9. Might not hear someone under canopy.
8. Might cause loss of awareness during freefall.
7. Entanglement.
6. Can't hear it that well anyway.
5. What, skydiving isn't exciting enough for you?
4. Bad song on playlist.
3. Lost/broken Ipod.
2. Bad example for newer jumpers.
1. Makes one appear stand offish.

The last one is no joke, Do you want to be the person that won't talk to anybody? I'd rather be available for interaction with others when at the DZ. I don't want to miss a chance to smile and talk to the people I know, and I also enjoy joking around with the students and tandem folks on the way up.
A person with buds in their ears is sending the message, "Leave me alone."
Not why I skydive.
But what do I know?

You don't think it's better to be able to hear other jumpers / warning shouts when under canopy?

Have you ever heard of near misses under canopy? Seen any canopy collisions? Seen any near misses on landings? Been in cloud after opening where shouting under canopy is seen by many as a good idea to let other people know where you are (lots of people on this site jump outside the US where being in cloud after opening can and does happen)?

Each to their own but I would like to give myself every opportunity to detect someone close to me when under canopy. And I don't want un-necessary distractions in freefall either. So no music for me.

On busy days and especially busy landing areas, I'll cut everything off. I'm curious, would you jump or condone someone jumping with good earplugs and a helmet? It has the same effect, you don't hear a damn thing under canopy. Is that selfish too? Should we allow deaf skydivers?
EDIT:

In any case, I've never had success warning another jumper of my proximity to him . Case in point: One time I went jumping, another guy under canopy turned final in such a way that he was forcing me towards an active runway, with an aircraft close to landing on it. I yelled at him at the top of my lungs and he didn't bother to do anything. My vertical speed was greater than his so I ended up passing him and landing first at the edge of the runway, and he almost flew into my collapsing canopy.

He had an open face helmet, no earplugs or earphones, stowed slider. Didn't hear a damn thing in the air but heard me clearly when I talked to him after collecting my canopy.

That was my closest call but I've both had and seen some similar issues before, where a careless person lands with complete disregard for other traffic. People generally don't hear shit, and they keep their heads straight forward. I have seen all of them coming and have done my best to avoid collision courses, but sometimes people just don't hear you. Keeping your head and eyes moving and flying with regard to others is the only thing that will guarantee safety. No amount of yelling I've heard (I haven't been around too long, maybe I need to see more) has ever changed anyone's mind, and some people are lucky that their courses weren't a few degrees off to the side.

I'll be pounced on by the whole of the forum if I suggest anything; so I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

If you don't follow your own advice, why should anyone else?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On busy days and especially busy landing areas, I'll cut everything off. I'm curious, would you jump or condone someone jumping with good earplugs and a helmet? It has the same effect, you don't hear a damn thing under canopy. Is that selfish too? Should we allow deaf skydivers?
EDIT:

Well, seeing as you asked, I don't think that jumping with a helmet and earplugs is at all comparable to listening to music. I think music is likely to be a distraction, earplugs etc not so much, although I think earplugs / good fitting helmet would clearly reduce your ability to hear. I sometimes wear earplugs in the plane but take them out for the jump.

Re: deaf jumpers - no I dont think they should be banned. But I guess they would have no music to be distracted by, and I would not be surprised if they would be much more watchful than most when under canopy.

And I don't think I mentioned anyone being selfish. I think I said something like 'each to their own', meaning that people can and will make their own minds up.

So you and others can feel free to jump with an ipod as far as I am concerned. And I will make my own decisions about who to try and stay stay well clear of when either jumping or under canopy. And that includes people that I know use ipods when jumping.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example