Prior23

What do I do?

I'm a total newbie, but my wife and I came to an agreement before I started. We agreed that skydiving was my thing and she wouldn't interfere as long as I can do it safely and in balanced fashion (timewise, and with regard to total mindshare). So far, it's working out. There are weekends when I want jump, but I have other obligations. But jump days are all mine. I just have to phone her after I'm safe on the ground. No pressure. No "When are you coming home?" stuff. I get home when I want get home, kiss her, give her the highlights (2 minutes at most), then it's back to Hubbyland, USA, where I have lived happily for the past 22 years. No problem. Hope this helps.

Joe
simplify

I'm a total newbie, but my wife and I came to an agreement before I started. We agreed that skydiving was my thing and she wouldn't interfere as long as I can do it safely and in balanced fashion (timewise, and with regard to total mindshare). So far, it's working out. There are weekends when I want jump, but I have other obligations. But jump days are all mine. I just have to phone her after I'm safe on the ground. No pressure. No "When are you coming home?" stuff. I get home when I want get home, kiss her, give her the highlights (2 minutes at most), then it's back to Hubbyland, USA, where I have lived happily for the past 22 years. No problem. Hope this helps.

Joe

I highlighted the parts of your post that quite a few either 'ex-jumpers' or 'ex-husbands' have recited verbatim over the years...;):ph34r:

:D:D:D ~d00d....Ya got what SIX jumps?! :S

Stick around for a while, come home a few times at 4am with an empty wallet, whipped cream in your hair and a drunk goat in the cars trunk that's wearing your clothes.

See how much water leaks outta the holes in that 'no problem' bucket! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

She lost respect for you becuase you want to take up skydiving as a hobby? She says you are choosing skydiving over her, and you haven't even made a single jump yet??

She sounds like a manipulative control freak, I recommend you dump that girl now. you're much better off without her. Maybe find a girl thats into skydiving, or one with the maturity to respect the decisions that you make in relation to your own life.

Stick around for a while, come home a few times at 4am with an empty wallet, whipped cream in your hair and a drunk goat in the cars trunk that's wearing your clothes.

:D Ah, if I had a nickel for everytime . . . .:P

Luckily it's usually my wife driving my besotted butt home.B|

Hey, OP, jeez, 18 years old and worrying about the girlfriend not liking jumping. Trust me, do what you want, and if she leaves, good riddance. She sounds like she really wants to drive your life around for you. You'll have a lot more fun meeting some new ones that like you jumping. ;)

Edited to say: Hey, if this dorky guy gets to hang with all these amazing skydiving women, think how you'll do.

Hey guys,

I am going on my first skydive this weekend and my family and girlfriend have accepted it, but once she found out that I wanted to make it a hobby and do it more often, she broke down and lost respect for me and thinks that I am picking it over her and that I don't care that I make her worry.

I know you guys have struggled with this and experienced this probably worse off than I have. What can I do if this is something I feel in my heart I want to do when someone else can't understand that and is hung up on that little chance that something can go wrong and I could die.

Please help.

Yes, skydiving can result in serious injury or DEATH.

This can happen to you on your 1st skydive (it has and will again) or your 1,000,000th skydive.

If you DO get into skydiving and make it your hobby, unless you're filthy rich, it WILL also lead to serious depletion of your bank account and available time to spend with your girlfriend.

If you DO go skydiving this weekend, while going through first jump course, pay extra attention to when the instructor goes over cut-away procedures, this information can not only save your life while skydiving, but can also be useful in detaching yourself from your current relationship if you do take up skydiving. ;)

:P

[pay extra attention to when the instructor goes over cut-away procedures, this information can not only save your life while skydiving, but can also be useful in detaching yourself from your current relationship if you do take up skydiving.

Are you suggesting a reserve girlfriend?;)

[pay extra attention to when the instructor goes over cut-away procedures, this information can not only save your life while skydiving, but can also be useful in detaching yourself from your current relationship if you do take up skydiving.

That can work, unless faced with the dreaded "main-girl-friend" & "reserve-girl-friend" entanglement!

:D

Here is what will likely happen:

After doing one tandem (and loving it) you'll give in to "her needs" because she just can't understand how you would be willing to put your "relationship" at risk for this immature and dangerous behavior.

At some point you'll get married have a couple of kids and one of two things will happen.

1) you'll get divorced, loose half your stuff and both your kids and you still won't get to skydive because you can't manage the cost along with child support and alimony.

or 2) you'll keep you mouth shut and join the ranks of millions of men who "live their lives in quiet desperation".

In either situation you won't be living "your" life you'll be living the life someone else has chosen for you.

Good luck.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

come home a few times at 4am with an empty wallet, whipped cream in your hair and a drunk goat in the cars trunk that's wearing your clothes.

+1 :D:D:D:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::|[:/]B| she will never believe me anyways......[:/]
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

In either situation you won't be living "your" life you'll be living the life someone else has chosen for you.

Good luck.

Awesome reply. I'm here to say you can have a great life and a great wife and kids, but you have to choose carefully. That girlfriend he's got right now sounds high maintenance.:S[:/]

I see dead people.
It's a race.

Watch together.

I love dead like me. Too bad they cancelled it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

If you make a couple of jumps, and you like it, and she is still not totally on board- you should really probably break it off. You are young.

I got married when I was 20:S. He was nice and worked and all that. We liked to shoot guns and ride motorcycles- and then we didn't so much anymore. I always wanted to skydive so I signed up to do a static line jump in my 24th birthday. That was June 13th. It was too windy- so I came back the next day. I did two jumps that day. Both of which my husband was there for. I think since June I have only not been there one weekend-except when I went on vacation. That first weekend was the only time he came.

I loved the sport and just the hanging around and drinking, talking, being dumb aspect. He didn't understand why I would sit there for 8 hours hoping the winds will die down for one jump.

Our divorced was finalized in November. It was most likely going to happen sooner or later anyways- but skydiving was for sure a catalyst. No kids or anything, so all went smooth.

Trust me though- if she is not supportive, and doesn't want to come hang out- you are as good as done.

PLUS- then you just start dating a skydiver. :)

I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Although in relationships it can sometimes feel better to pull right, pull left. It may actually be better to disconnect that rsl, pull right, get some more freefall in, and then pull left. :P
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Hey guys,

I am going on my first skydive this weekend and my family and girlfriend have accepted it, but once she found out that I wanted to make it a hobby and do it more often, she broke down and lost respect for me and thinks that I am picking it over her and that I don't care that I make her worry.

I know you guys have struggled with this and experienced this probably worse off than I have. What can I do if this is something I feel in my heart I want to do when someone else can't understand that and is hung up on that little chance that something can go wrong and I could die.

Please help.

Let me see if I got this right. You haven't made a skydive, yet it has become your passion and you are concerned about the rest of your life! Maybe just slow down a little before you get the tattoo and see how you like your first jump.
Dano

John, I know my post sounds like I've had a bad marriage. But nothing could be further from the truth.

I was jumping before we met and I just told her up front that this is who I am and what kind of person I am. And that if she thought I would change the way I approach life, she would likely be very disappointed.

She has been very supportive and sometimes when I'm in a crappy mood or stressed out she tell's me to get to the DZ and sort it out.

She even spent most weekends at the DZ with me for the first ten years until she got bored. She has never jumped and has no interest.

We have 3 unbelievably great kids and my son is a jumper and making a name for himself in our sport.

We'll celebrate or 32nd anniversary this year.

It can be done. it just takes comittment and balance.

But for the OP: you're way too young to settle for someone who won't let you become the person you are meant to be.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I was skydiving long before I met my husband, and he has always accepted it as part of who I am.
We've managed to have 2 children, stay together for 10 years and still be madly in love.
How?
We let each other be the people we want to be.
For my husband, that means letting me have my own time to go jumping, which includes weeks away for boogies while he stays home with the kids!
Then we trade off and he gets to do his thing.

Don't let your girlfriend run your life. Eventually you'll hate her.

Joe

I highlighted the parts of your post that quite a few either 'ex-jumpers' or 'ex-husbands' have recited verbatim over the years...;):ph34r:

Dude, you missed the 22 years part. I'm 53 years old (no more whipped cream for this old body) and I broke up with the goat a long time ago (my wife insisted). I really miss her (the goat). Plus, I have one kid in college and one starting in two years, so my wallet is always empty anyway. Thanks for your advice.

Joe

simplify

Joe

Dude, you missed the 22 years part. I'm 53 years old (no more whipped cream for this old body) and I broke up with the goat a long time ago (my wife insisted). I really miss her (the goat). Plus, I have one kid in college and one starting in two years, so my wallet is always empty anyway. Thanks for your advice.

Joe

Hummm...let's see, we're the same age, same number of kids except I have two in school NOW, been married about the same number of years.

Only real difference is MY goat's been with me a whole lot longer than the wife has...and as far as the whipped cream thing goes ~ talk to me the night of the day you make jump #100! >:(:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~