scdiver89

interesting video with tandem headdown

So does that mean that a headdown tandem has roughly the same fallrate as a drougeless tandem on belly?

Intressting.
Never thought of it that way, but its quite logical. Two people in headdown creates the same drag as... well... people in headdown. :D
And that is roughly the same as two people on belly in tandem.

So, not sure what tandem system was being used but I think it is a violation of the Strong and surely the UPT rules for tandems to fly head down and without the drogue intentionally. Has the manufacturer taken action to revoke? Rules are rules and if you can't follow them or choose not to then you should not be taking pax as tandems. We are a tandem accident or two away from real FAA and lawsuit trouble. Why pick that scab and dare the plaintiff's attorney's to sue?
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

So, not sure what tandem system was being used but I think it is a violation of the Strong and surely the UPT rules for tandems to fly head down and without the drogue intentionally. Has the manufacturer taken action to revoke? Rules are rules and if you can't follow them or choose not to then you should not be taking pax as tandems. We are a tandem accident or two away from real FAA and lawsuit trouble. Why pick that scab and dare the plaintiff's attorney's to sue?

Those rules are only valid in the USoA, they were NOT in the USofA thankfully:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Those rules are only valid in the USoA, they were NOT in the USofA thankfully:)

I don't quite know how to tell you this Squeak but you're wrong... the world as we know it, according to America... Is the USofA. So their rules apply to everyone :D

Every time i read these forums someone starts quoting the American rules and regs.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I beg to differ . . . . The manufacturer controls ratings on their gear. If you can't comply with the manufacturer's rules, hopefully the manufacturer will pull the TI rating so that we are all protected. I say again . . . whether in the US or foreign . . . we are a tandem lawsuit or maybe 2 from manufacturers taking a powder and giving up on the system. You cannot kill or injure tandem students by violating manufacturers rules and have a viable tandem skydiving program. Regardless of the tandem manufacturer's actual liability, the fact that they have to defend even frivolous lawsuits will drive them out of the business. Legal fees without insurance are anathema to a corporate bottom line.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Does anybody know the make of the tandem rig? I'm not saying that this is a good idea, but one should find out who the manufacturer is before accusing someone of violating the manufacturer's rules and calling for revocation of their rating.

The jumpers are European and the jump did not take place in the US... perhaps they didn't do anything against the rules.

Again, I'm NOT saying that this is a good idea :)

Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Does anybody know the make of the tandem rig? I'm not saying that this is a good idea, but one should find out who the manufacturer is before accusing someone of violating the manufacturer's rules and calling for revocation of their rating.

the rig is french, the jumpers are french, jumping in France... The rating is not given by the manufacturer.. and maybe it was not intentional but the TI was having trouble getting stable on the belly.

I'd rather see a TI who can fly a tandem head down, more than one who gets side-spinned if the passenger hold one hand out.

The TI is very talented in many disciplines. FS, Freefly, BASE jumping, wingsuit flying.

The passenger is the TI's wife, and also a very talented lady.

Everybody goes OOOH and AAAAH when seeing their videos, for several years.... and then comes some "regulation-know-it-all" wanting to get everyones rating :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

the rig is french, the jumpers are french, jumping in France... The rating is not given by the manufacturer.. and maybe it was not intentional but the TI was having trouble getting stable on the belly.

I'd rather see a TI who can fly a tandem head down, more than one who gets side-spinned if the passenger hold one hand out.

The TI is very talented in many disciplines. FS, Freefly, BASE jumping, wingsuit flying.

The passenger is the TI's wife, and also a very talented lady.

Everybody goes OOOH and AAAAH when seeing their videos, for several years.... and then comes some "regulation-know-it-all" wanting to get everyones rating :|

Do you expect anything else from posting here for a while now?

I'm not so sure about that......

as far as i know UPT, Sunrise rigging, Mirage et al none of them have jurisdiction outside of the USofA. I'm pretty sure they have no call in OZ at all we are governed by the APF and CASA not by the rig makers in foreign lands.
There are no global TI ratings.
If say UPT were the ratings issuers, then you could get globally certified. You cant, certs are handled by the countries governing bodies.
Many countries will follow rig makers recommendations but they are not bound by them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

as far as i know UPT, Sunrise rigging, Mirage et al none of them have jurisdiction outside of the USofA. .

In many ways they don't.
But there is the sticking point of contract law.
What do people sign and agree to when they buy a Strong or Vector tandem rig? Just curious.
Do the companies require you to promise to uphold certain rules?

As I understand them US tandem regulations apply to students and the use of tandem for training purposes. The use of tandem rigs by 2 rated skydivers is only limited by their creativity and stupidity.

Having called for permission or waivers for (alternative tandems)tandems outside the norm I have been told more than once it is not needed for 2 rated skydivers.

The first was to do an Austrailian ( passenger Female) wearing harness backward facing TI during freefall, Nakid is proffered. Another Tamden MR Bill sure makes holding on a non issue. Passenger facing forward can unhook self after opening and climb up risers to shoulders and depart at will. Fun Fun Fun Wahooooooooo Of course all jumps were performed in Mexico as not to offend the Ticket police among us............

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

As I understand them US tandem regulations apply to students and the use of tandem for training purposes. The use of tandem rigs by 2 rated skydivers is only limited by their creativity and stupidity.

Having called for permission or waivers for (alternative tandems)tandems outside the norm I have been told more than once it is not needed for 2 rated skydivers.

The first was to do an Austrailian ( passenger Female) wearing harness backward facing TI during freefall, Nakid is proffered. Another Tamden MR Bill sure makes holding on a non issue. Passenger facing forward can unhook self after opening and climb up risers to shoulders and depart at will. Fun Fun Fun Wahooooooooo Of course all jumps were performed in Mexico as not to offend the Ticket police among us............

NICE, got any footage of either :)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?