jclalor

Do your children know ?

What exactly scared her ?
I find that many people are scared because of their lack of knowledge. And with some of them, once the mechanics of the sport are explained, the fear subsides.

"I don't want you to do ****" is an extremely selfish statement to make if it's based on emotion.

Hi Chris,

I was jumping before they were born & continued to do so.

It was just something Dad 'did.' :S

JerryBaumchen

PS) My daughter even went out one Halloween dressed as a skydiver. :P

PPS) And, of course, there was the drunken skydiver-college student who came up to my daughter at a frat function and asked her if I would get him a discount on some gear. :ph34r:

What exactly scared her ?
I find that many people are scared because of their lack of knowledge. And with some of them, once the mechanics of the sport are explained, the fear subsides.

"I don't want you to do ****" is an extremely selfish statement to make if it's based on emotion.

Your right, at first she did not have enough knowledge about the sport, I might as well told her I was going to jump 22 school busses. but once she did a couple tandems and hung out a bit she was ok. I think most older children of new skydivers, without any exposure to jumping, like the general public, think skydivers are suicidal maniacs. I just think most parents don't like to see their children worry that much.

Hi Chris,

Did they ever express an interest in jumping themselves?

My daughter has never had any interest. Her husband made ~12-15 jumps many years before he met her and decided it was not for him.

I bought my son a tandem on his 21st birthday but he has never been back.

Come back in 14 years and ask me about my 4-yr old grandson; that'll give me some time to work on him. B|

JerryBaumchen

What`s the purpose of this question?

Even if you tell your children before aff, how can you be shure they understand anything of the possible consequences???

Let me say this:
I have four: Oldest will be 11 in May, youngest is 6. I started skydiving before i met her mother - now we are divorced and 3 lives with me one lives with her.
All of them are frequently at the dropzone, they even saw 2 reserve rides by myself and one or two (not so bad) accidents of others. I think at least the oldest one realize there is a risk. But she also saw that everything can turn out well if somebody does the right thing, follow rules and be prepered to learn. Hey, the oldest even packs my and my partners main... :-)
I am absolutly shure, they have no problem (other than beeing bored at the dz sometimes) with me and my partner skydiving. For them it is just a normal thing, they dont even tell their friends about it to impress them or whatever....

For the record: None of them did a skydive yet. I will take them on tandem if they _really_ want it by themself, but not before!! They did a passenger ride in the skydiving aircraft (set in the tandem harness, connected with me just in the case) but did not really like it.

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

...outside of thinking i'm an old eccentric nut.

Well, yeah, I took my daughter to a Herd boogie before she could walk.

She'll be taking her driver's test on Tuesday, her 17th birthday. If she has her way she'll be going to the drop zone on her 18th birthday. We have a year to work on her mother regarding that issue.

Get your kids into skydiving early...you'll always know where they are.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

My kids love it, they are little DZ rats. Ive always been a dream chaser, in activities and in business and want to instill that same "can-do" attitude with my kids. The two oldest (5 & 8, boys) are both enthralled with it, the 5 yr old wants skydivers painted on his bedroom walls. :).

www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

Get your kids into skydiving early...you'll always know where they are.

... which may not always be a good thing! B|

+1:|I have 3 girls and would like all 3 to eventually make a tandem jump, but not sure i want them at the DZ late[:/]
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I have 2 girls, one will be 5 in May and the other has just turned 14 months.

Rosalie-Kitty, the youngest knows what i do, but given her age has no understanding of risk, that's good imho. She already knows both her grandfathers died flying so somewhere she knows things can go wrong at least as much as you can when you're almost 5.

She will be doing her first tandem para-glide in May, she likes the idea and it will be with someone she knows already, 'Socks' from the DZ, on the mountain behind our house.

She is already on her second season skiing.

As for Josephine-Fleur, she has't got a clue, but then neither had I at 14 months or 42 years ;)

My wife just thinks I spend too much time skydiving and she's probably right. Not that that will change much.

Our three kids are adopted from Russia, they were 6, 7 & 7 when we brought them here.

For the first weekend in the U.S. they got to watch me jump into Busch stadium, the following weekend an airshow in Alaska, the weekend after that Oklahoma City, then Chicago, Florida, Ohio, Gary Ind. then up to Oshkosh for a week...

After several months of traveling around on the Demo circuit it was time for them to go to school.

They just couldn't understand the concept, they thought ALL kids fly around the country, help pack parachutes and chow down on room service! :ph34r:

So...yeah they knew. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i had been a jumper for a dozen years when our daughter was born... and 2 years later, our Son was born...:)
so growing up, both kids "knew " of my hobby...pictures... my gear,,, "jumping Friends" who would visit...
however during the years between '83 and '95,,, i waaay limited the frequency of my "trips to the DZ." .. I was spending THOSE weekends,,, playing with the kids,,, or doing chores and repairs etc, at home, going to the zoo. playing outside,,, visiting family,,,,, going to the kids little league baseball and basketball stuff..... "being the Daddy".......B|

Still I always made a FEW jumps each year, to stay current, to attend our annual DC 3 boogie, to stay connected to friends, whose company i enjoyed....
But, it took me 11 years... to complete a 150 jump LogBook....!!!!

After the kids got up into Jr High School age and had their own activities, and friends, and hobbies... i began to increase the visits to the DZ... ( Fortunately,, THOSE years cooincided with arrival, full time, of a twin engine turbine at my home dz....) ~!!:DB|
suddenly,, i was able to "get away from the kids" !!! hahahah ...:o:) AND get 14 grand!!!!.... I was BACK Baby!!!!..hahaha

Through their early and mid teens the kids would come with me from time to time,,, and we sometimes attended parties, events, etc, as a family:)They each enjoyed a tandem,,, shortly after reaching age 18, and both did fantastic....!!
see attachment...
SO alert, and tuned in, and absorbing every bit of visual , audible and physical amazement possible, when making that # 1 skydive... I got to fly with each of them,,, and it was wonderful. My wife,, decided to enjoy HER tandem a year or so before our sons' and she TOO excelled...

Now... I get to the Dz when i can...
find pleasure, in traveling to distant old and new to me places, and then sharing the fun with them when i return....

I'm ready to spring for another jump , for them anytime...all they have to do is Ask....

and now,,, My Children ( ages 27 and 25 ) Like the Birds in the sky... "they KNOW"....:)
jmy

I was jumping before they were born & continued to do so.

It was just something Dad 'did.' :S

JerryBaumchen

PS) My daughter even went out one Halloween dressed as a skydiver. :P

same story here - in fact, when she went out in the suit - grippers and all, with the Javelin backpack (my wife even made some leg straps, and a little 'alti-mini' on a chest straps, it was very cute. And what did the neighbors say? "Ohhh, how cute, you're a little,,,....uh.....scuba diver????"

whatever, Lady, out with the candy then

Picture - 10 years later.....

Edit: She's been at the DZ her entire life. She's very comfortable around adults, loves the DZ and camping there every weekend, she's not interested in jumping, but loves the tunnel. It's been great for her. She knows the decent people at the DZ as well as who the idiots are at the DZ and it gives her perspective on the choices she wants to make about her personal decisions. I think it's a great thing in her life that we share with her.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Our three kids are adopted from Russia, they were 6, 7 & 7 when we brought them here.

I should have emphasized it more, that I am sure younger children would love having parents that jump. My daughter was 18 when I started, so at that age she had an idea of what can go wrong. I should have defined the thread more about how it affects older children.

I guess, regardless of the kids' ages, it's important for the adults to live their lives and that the kids are made a part of it - whatever your choices. So yes, the kids know, and no, they have no say on this particular choice.

I also think that we have a real odd mix of effects due to the general narcissm of people today. It results in people letting the fact of having kids overwhelm their choices (seems like a conflict, but it isn't - they transfer their narcissism to the kids).

Best bet - live your life, consider the kids in your decisions, but don't let being a parent totally control your decisions. It's better for the kids in the end.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I should have emphasized it more, that I am sure younger children would love having parents that jump. My daughter was 18 when I started, so at that age she had an idea of what can go wrong. I should have defined the thread more about how it affects older children.

Yeah, I have kids (younger) and was a skydiver long before them and never took AFF.... so I can't answer your poll in any sense...
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

LIke mine.... they were in their early 30's when I started. They were pretty worried about me at first, especially when I didn't promptly call after making a jump to let them know I was fine. My daughter didn't find it particularly reassuring when I told her that she was my emergency contact and she'd be the first one to know if something had happened. When I think of the grief they gave me as teenagers........ :)They have since come to be pretty proud of me and show off pictures of me skydiving on a regular basis.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490