heavydude

DC-3 Jump Planes

Hi fool,

***DC-3 and C-47 shells . . . C-47/DC-3***

Interesting to use the C-47 vernacular. They have always been & always will be C47's to me.

I ran an Air Evac section in England ~4 lifetimes ago & I shipped a LOT of guys out on those birds.

That made it all the nicer when I had the chance to jump them.

MY all-time favorite airplane,

JerryBaumchen

PS) C-47's forever!!!!!!!>:(

PPS) And are they not the most beautiful bird out there with perfectly swept wings. :)

Hi fool,

Interesting to use the C-47 vernacular. They have always been & always will be C47's to me.

I ran an Air Evac section in England ~4 lifetimes ago & I shipped a LOT of guys out on those birds.

JerryBaumchen

PPS) And are they not the most beautiful bird out there with perfectly swept wings. :)

Don't let's forget the name "Gooney Bird" either.

Hi Paul,

Have you ever seen film/video of a Gooney Bird land? Makes one wonder why they are not extinct. :P

JerryBaumchen

Ha ha. Goonies never land, they only arrive. Not a great name for an airplane.

I only mention it for completeness - DC-3, C-47, Skytrain, Gooney Bird.

(Yes, I understand that a DC-3 is not literally a C-47. Are there more differences besides the cargo door?)

So I was watching N. Kents Freak Bros video and got to thinking, any DZs offer DC-3 jumps ? I seem to recall Perris may have several years back ?

Hi h-d,
Yup, back when men were men and women were proud of it!! One time back when Bennie had (3) ea. turnin' and N157U burnin'!! Nothin' like bein' one of the last troops in the line up "30+ jumpers" up by the bulkhead and hearin' "READY, SET, GO!!!!!!" The human carerpillar starts slo but by the time ya' get to the door yer runnin' out-the -door-and-DIVE!!!!......Got that?? The things we did for "FUN!!" If Whuffs only knew?? Go read the "Round Engine" thread in H&T forum!!

What used to be the DZ "Work horse" is now a "Specialty A/C!!" Time has taken its toll. Havn't seen 26MA lately, anyone know if Skip still has her up to snuff!! He resurected the grand lady and she was gorgeous!! Play on Gypsys, play on....don't let the bearded guy with the cowboy hat have yer violin!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

For me I knew I'd hit the big time when I was able to get to a DZ that had a 3. Couple of pics back...that 3's door is on the wrong side ;)

I think I remember reading somewhere that AA ordered the door on the right side because of their terminal design.

Hi fool,

JerryBaumchen

"Dakota" & "Puff" & "Spooky" & "Gabby" (I didn't know about the last two till now.)

http://www.dc3history.org/ac47_puff.htm

Also, Phoenix Air was a C-47.

I only mention it for completeness - DC-3, C-47, Skytrain, Gooney Bird.

(Yes, I understand that a DC-3 is not literally a C-47. Are there more differences besides the cargo door?)

By the way, the military ones weren't all C-47s. There were also C-48s.

Actually, I'm reading that there are a lot of military designations for DC-3s denoting different configurations... C-47, C-48, C-49, C-50, C-51, C-52, C-68, and C-84.

I only knew about the C-48 because there's one at an air museum near where I live.

Dave

[url]http://www.pbase.com/sonex293/image/47115141

Don't forget about Dougy....
Not a dedicated jump plane, but was our lift for the ND state record jump (ok, a 17 way, but done with a few low time jumpers(
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

We usually had a good collection ar the Richmond Boogies and the Boggy.We were climbing to altitude and someone asked the rate of climb. Before nerd technology you would look at the second hand on you watch wait for an even 1000 feet to come up and time one minute. The guy then asked "Is that Indiana time or Ohio time?" We got 700 feet easy meaning it was faster than a C-206 and most C-182's.To bad for the Yuppies jumping today .Make a jump go to the indoor tennis place then the Sushi bar.

Interestingly enough at my local Apt in San Diego Brown Field there was a DC-3 doing charters to Baja also in years past. I would be working at the hanger and they would fly in regularly. I dont know if they are still in business but that was also a cool way to travel !

For me I knew I'd hit the big time when I was able to get to a DZ that had a 3. Couple of pics back...that 3's door is on the wrong side ;)

Hi air-d,
Yup "Fly American!!" Jim McDonald at the old Borderlands Airsports at Otay had one of those!! It was fun on take off because the whuffs would line up on the road to watch the takeoffs and we'd "MOON" them out the door!!:ph34r::ph34r::D:D;);)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I was on the last load Mr. D flew (at Tullahoma)...About 5K Chris Martin comes out and says we gotta get out..when asked why he pointed to the left side..the prop was standing straight up...

I miss them both...
Keith Abner
D-17590

"Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

So I was watching N. Kents Freak Bros video and got to thinking, any DZs offer DC-3 jumps ? I seem to recall Perris may have several years back ?

Hi h-d,
Yup, back when men were men and women were proud of it!! One time back when Bennie had (3) ea. turnin' and N157U burnin'!! Nothin' like bein' one of the last troops in the line up "30+ jumpers" up by the bulkhead and hearin' "READY, SET, GO!!!!!!" The human carerpillar starts slo but by the time ya' get to the door yer runnin' out-the -door-and-DIVE!!!!......Got that?? The things we did for "FUN!!" If Whuffs only knew?? Go read the "Round Engine" thread in H&T forum!!

What used to be the DZ "Work horse" is now a "Specialty A/C!!" Time has taken its toll. Havn't seen 26MA lately, anyone know if Skip still has her up to snuff!! He resurected the grand lady and she was gorgeous!! Play on Gypsys, play on....don't let the bearded guy with the cowboy hat have yer violin!!

Hey Bill,

This is the proper DC-3 exit.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What was the story on that crash ?

I'm sure you've already found this by searching the reg# --

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19930420-0

There is more to be found via various searches.

The pilot's version is slightly different and I, personally, tend to believe him. There are likely some of the people who were on that load that frequent this site and I'll leave comments to them. Also, Martin Evans wrote an excellent first-hand narrative that is published at http://diverdriver.com/Accidents/DC3_Crash_Narrative/dc3_crash_narrative.htm

Edited to add: I think a newly-designed restraint system had been installed on this plane and I think that was credited with the incredible absence of injuries. Restraints for jumpers had, at that time, become a big issue although I do remember that the DZ already did have that as a matter of policy, at least from the time I began jumping there.