pg8532

spectre to a xaos

well i have a question. i have been talking with people at my dz and they have good info for me but i figured i would ask the masses..i have been in this sport for abot 14 months. in that time i logged 247 jumps. i spend everyday i can at the dz. my current canopy is a spectre 150 loaded about 1.4. i am looking at buy a second rig. my question is i wanna get a crossbraced canopy. a xaos 21 loaded about 1.6 or so. now i am very current and also travel in the winter months to florida and cali. so i jump as much as possible. i feel comfortable enough with my abilities to make the down size but wanted to know what you guys think. everyone at my home dz thinks i would be fine as long i as i keep making good dicesions in the air. so lets here wat yall have to say and thanks for the info everyone.

well i have a question. i have been talking with people at my dz and they have good info for me but i figured i would ask the masses..i have been in this sport for abot 14 months. in that time i logged 247 jumps. i spend everyday i can at the dz. my current canopy is a spectre 150 loaded about 1.4. i am looking at buy a second rig. my question is i wanna get a crossbraced canopy. a xaos 21 loaded about 1.6 or so. now i am very current and also travel in the winter months to florida and cali. so i jump as much as possible. i feel comfortable enough with my abilities to make the down size but wanted to know what you guys think. everyone at my home dz thinks i would be fine as long i as i keep making good dicesions in the air. so lets here wat yall have to say and thanks for the info everyone.

There is a guy on the site called Brian Germain... I think he knows a little bit about this issue. In fact he put together this little chart.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

I guess you really put on the weight then in the last year since last year you said your exit weight was 158 on a 150 Spectre canopy at 40 jumps and now you are at 1.4 on the same canopy. Do you understand the point of Crossbraced? I doubt it if you want it at 1.6 loading.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

This is a very dangerous path to follow.

Everyone knows you don't ask for downsizing advice on dz.com :P

There is only ever one answer - don't.

"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

This is a very dangerous path to follow.

Everyone knows you don't ask for downsizing advice on dz.com :P

There is only ever one answer - don't.

That's a legitimate point. the anti-downsizing brigade here can be incredibly reactionary and over-zealous, and it really dilutes the message for the people who really are being too aggressive.

And wow, this guy wants to go aggressive!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That's a legitimate point. the anti-downsizing brigade here can be incredibly reactionary and over-zealous

It's funny how when you get more and more experience, wtih hundred then thousands of jumps, you tend to become "reactionary and over zealous".

What funny is these words are most often employed by people trying to get approval for apparently unappropriate canopies....

Must be a coincidence, can't see another reason...

well i have a question.

That's fair, lot's of people have questions.

How about this, you answer a couple of my questions, and then I'll answer your question.

Why is it that you feel that 250 jumps and 1 year in the sport qualiifes you to jump one of the highest performance canopies made?

Why is it that you are looking to go from a Spectre to a Xaos, skipping an entire class of canopies such as the Katana or Crossfire?

well i have a question.

That's fair, lot's of people have questions.

How about this, you answer a couple of my questions, and then I'll answer your question.

Why is it that you feel that 250 jumps and 1 year in the sport qualiifes you to jump one of the highest performance canopies made?

Why is it that you are looking to go from a Spectre to a Xaos, skipping an entire class of canopies such as the Katana or Crossfire?

I've got a question for you davelepka....How the hell do you pronounce Xaos?:P
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

How the hell do you pronounce Xaos?

I always pronounce it like 'chaos', but you have to wonder why they didn't just call it a 'chaos'? Or if they wanted to be 'clever' they could have went with 'kaos'.

The literal pronounciation now, I guess, would be 'zaos', becasue the X usually sounds like a Z when it's at the beginning of a word.

However you say it, not so good for a guy with 250 jumps.

>I've got a question for you davelepka....How the hell do you pronounce Xaos?

It is tough to pronounce, especially if you've never talked to anyone about flying one. If you fall into that category, and you're ordering one, the closest pronunciation is "manta."

I always pronounce it like 'chaos', but you have to wonder why they didn't just call it a 'chaos'?

And it was all part of the big "Ground Zero" project!
1999: Awesome name.
2001: Oops.
Down the drain for that branding & marketing plan.

Not Precision's fault of course. (Ask Rhys though, he has some ideas about whose fault it was. ;))

>I've got a question for you davelepka....How the hell do you pronounce Xaos?

It is tough to pronounce, especially if you've never talked to anyone about flying one. If you fall into that category, and you're ordering one, the closest pronunciation is "manta."

:D:D:ph34r:
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

well i have been looking at different canopies and have tried some of my friends at the dz. a safire 119 and a spectre 120 i do like the 9 cell and i am looking at a maybe a crossfire 2 129 now. or maybe just a safire 119.

How people perceive canopy performance increases is non-linear. You really don't want to be skipping sizes.