guineapiggie101

what's next?

A few weeks ago, I did my 2nd tandem skydive (first one was done at the same DZ, but 6 months prior), and had a great time. Now I am thinking of maybe learning to skydive. Not sure.

I know some DZ's do an accelerated course where you can take the first set of lessons (?) in 3-6 hours, and then jump out of the plane with two instructors holding onto you, then letting go, and you landing on your own (via radio instructions).

Is that the next step to finding out if this is a sport I could be interested in?

Also, will my height have an issue with whether I can do this non-tandem? I am really short, like 4'5" tall.

Yup, that's the next step! Well, there are a few different ways to learn to skydive, but taking the AFF course is one of them.

Your height may be an issue. Go to your local DZ and chat with the instructors. They'll probably have you try on a rig and see if it can be adjusted to fit. We had to get shorter risers and different toggles installed on one student rig and for a short student because she couldn't reach the toggles with normal risers... and she was quite a bit taller than you.

If you are very light, your fallrate might also be an issue for your instructors to deal with.

Dave

Welcome to the addiction. Depending on the DZ you go to, AFF may be the best or only option. You may also have the option to do a Static-line progression, which usually takes more jumps, but is generally quite a bit cheaper per jump, until you get your license.

Have an instructor fit you with a student rig/harness to make sure they have equipment that will fit you properly. Other than that, it's all sunshine and rainbows from here, my friend.

Welcome to the addiction.;)

PULL!! or DIE!!

thanks for the info :)

I am short, but not that light :)

When I did the tandem thing, the DZ didn't seem to have problems with my height.

I will drop in on the nearest DZ and see if I can get some answers. I do hope to be able to skydive. It is exhilarating to be so high up.

what else makes up the AFF course?

Check here (I've made an assumption you're in the U.S., but if not, you'll likely find that training methods aren't all that different in other countries).

http://www.uspa.org/BecomeaSkydiver/tabid/54/Default.aspx
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

AFF is a series of jumps done from full altitude, with instructors holding you (2 at the beginning, only one for later jumps). The AFF program has 7 levels. You need to successfully demonstrate the skills at each level to advance to the next. After completing AFF there are still skiils you have to demonstrate and tasks to accomplish and a minimum of 25 jumps to get your license.

Static Line is where the canopy is deployed automatically as you drop away from the plane. You don't get to freefall until you can demonstrate the ability to deploy correctly. Again, there are skills to demostrate, tasks to accomplish and a minimum of 25 jumps to get your license.
Both methods will teach you the same things, they just get you there a little differently.

A lot of this is available here on DZ.com under the Learn to Skydive tab on the home page.

It's also outlined in the USPA Skydiver's Information Manual

And yes, it's really, really, really fun:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You didn't give a location, but if you're in Hawaii I don't think static line is available (or a wind tunnel for that matter). AFF involves a seven level progression. Some people complete the seven levels in one jump per level, some take a few more jumps if you have to repeat a level. ( I don't like to say you've "failed" a level, just that your performance needs to improve before you move to the next level. )
Each level adds additional skill, beginning with being stable, then turning and moving around some, until you are competent to jump on your own. The first three levels put you with 2 instructors, the next four levels with only one instructor.
Your height is definitly an issue. Don't jump with equipment that doesn't fit well. Tandem harnesses have a good bit of adjustment built into them,
For more info, see www.uspa.org and look for a tab at top of page pointing to the SIM (Skydiver's Information Manual). Of course, the best way to learn is to visit the local DZ and ask questions. Good Luck.

(edit to correct stuff I wrote wrong the first time - good catch)
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Thanks you all, for the info.

I live in SoCal, (but did my 2 jumps in Hawaii when I was on vacation :)
If I do decide to pursue this, I would probably try to make my jumps/training at Skydive Elsinore.

I find this to be a lot of fun, esp as a tandem passenger. I just wonder how different the feeling is, if you are actually doing it yourself vs as a tandem.

And yes, part of me is a bit afraid too.

Thanks you all, for the info.

I live in SoCal, (but did my 2 jumps in Hawaii when I was on vacation :)
If I do decide to pursue this, I would probably try to make my jumps/training at Skydive Elsinore.

I find this to be a lot of fun, esp as a tandem passenger. I just wonder how different the feeling is, if you are actually doing it yourself vs as a tandem.

And yes, part of me is a bit afraid too.

In reverse order:

You are jumping from an airplane 2 miles above the ground. If you weren't afraid, there would be something wrong.

The feeling is similar, the freefall is almost identical, but it's a lot freer doing a solo. That's both good and bad. Good because you are doing it yourself. Bad because there isn't anyone attached to you so you have to do it yourself (although in AFF there are instructors right there with you to help).

Elsinore has a good reputation. So does Perris, which is close. You might check both of them out. San Diego is also supposed to be good. Depending on where in SoCal you are, it might be a better choice.

Now, log off the computer, get your ass out to a DZ, walk up to the office and say "I wanna be a skydiver, what do I gotta do?":)
You will get much better answers, from the people who will be teaching you, at the place where you will be learning.
Any gear issues due to your size will be easily addressed if you are right there. They will probably go to the gear room and pull out a rig and say "This is the one we use for the smaller folk. Let's see how it fits."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Some people complete the seven levels in one jump.

how is that possible?

Anything is possible when you don't read the entire thought and post out of context.
:D:D:P

True story:
Level 3 release dive.
Student spun left...and stopped the spin
Student spun right...and stopped the spin
Student did back flip...and rolled back over solid
Student did front flip ...and rolled back over solid
Student self-deployed at proper altitude.

Damn! Did all that on one jump...should have just skipped L1 and L2...no need for more levels, right?

Well, we did make him do all that on purpose on later jumps.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Some people complete the seven levels in one jump per level.

how is that possible?

wow, another expert at taking things out of context and making shit up.. :S

Don't think he/she was making shit up ... Looks like it was a typo. Just another example of why one way instruction that includes a human element doesn't work well on any subject. Please seek interaction :)
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

how is that possible?

Don't think he/she was making shit up ... Looks like it was a typo. Just another example of why one way instruction that includes a human element doesn't work well on any subject. Please seek interaction :)

the post that SR185 replied to was perfectly fine; if you read everything or quote the whole thing!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

how is that possible?

the post that SR185 replied to was perfectly fine; if you read everything or quote the whole thing!

You may want to take note that the post that SR185 was responding to had been edited so it may have read differently before you saw the post. Of course you didn't notice that VB. You were to busy jumping to conclusions. You should stick to what you do best, being drunk.

You may want to take note that the post that SR185 was responding to had been edited so it may have read differently before you saw the post. Of course you didn't notice that VB. You were to busy jumping to conclusions. You should stick to what you do best, being drunk.

:D:D
He didn't notice that...

The original post (post 10) was at 2:29 PM
The response (SR185, post 11) was 20 minutes later at 2:49 PM
The last edit on post 10 was at 6 something pm.

V-B posted at what....the following 1am?

I'm pretty sure that the correction on post 10 was done before V-B posted.;)

V-B drunk posting? Tell me it isn't so!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

how is that possible?

maybe you should stick to keeping your fucking mouth shut; i know u're miserable at that, as in every other aspect of life.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Just to be clear, I added "per level" after SRI85 caught me posting an incomplete sentence that would have confused the OP. If you guys want to duel with real swords, I'd love to see the video. Otherwise I think this is a dead issue and we can get back to helping Guineapiggie get off the keyboard and get over to the DZ (and in Southern California, the wind tunnel, which is a ton of fun in itself).
You don't have to outrun the bear.

If you were checking out a new DZ, would you do a tandem dive as a way to check out the drop zone, or would you just dive head first into it (after talking to the instructors to see if they have equipment for you), and sign up for the the first AFF course?

just do it!

never made a tandem myself, dove right into it and booked AFF..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda