packing_jarrett

What would you have done?

Lets say you were a dad of a kid who was about ready to get on the airplane.
"hey son did you get a gear check?" you say.
"nope not yet" your son says. you come over and give him a gear check and ask him if his cypress is on. he says it is. Now the dad that you are has to double check. its a racer so you take off the rig to see and you find out that its off. what would you do?
Na' Cho' Cheese

If it were my son, I'd call him a dumbass. Suggest that he spend some time on equipment checks and basic survival skills, because his judgement was clearly lacking.

Jumping without an AAD isn't a big deal to me (although it's a requirement for students now). Lying about a gear check to be able to get on the plane does show willingness to compromise safety.

You didn't ask for it sugar-coated, did you?

Wendy Wy.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have to say ground you for the day....

You Bullshitted him about the gear check, either that or you don't know HOW to do one...either way if you were MY kid...you would be done for the day...

AND...have to go home and cut the grass!;):P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

no you see I didn't get a gear check thats when my dad came over and gave me one. I didn't bullshit anyone. I thought I had turned it on and was getting a gear check when we found out it wasn't on.

and atleast at my dz you don't ground someone for forgetting something cause thats what gear checks are for. Is it not?
Na' Cho' Cheese

hmm...I misread that too, thinking you had said you were good to go.

Still, playing the dad role, would have grounded you for the day perhaps instead of the 2 weeks I listed.

Yes, gear checks are to catch mistakes, but punishment is there to encourage you not to make them. Whether you believe in AADs or not, I can't think of anything lamer than dying with a non activated AAD in the rig.

Will check tomorrow to see which punishment you got - I'm guessing the two weeks since you posted this.

Forgetting to turn on a cypres isn't the end of the world. But not checking your reserve pin, etc is a big deal. I don't know that you missed that part of your gear check (which I assume you did before putting the rig on), but it's a good sign that you didn't open the reserve flap (I assume that's where the cypres is on a racer).

If you were grounded, it wasn't for forgetting the cypres. It was for trying to get on a plane without having checked your gear properly. Bet you learned your lesson!

Dave

Ok here I go into a little more detail. When I usually get to the dz the first thing I do is get everything ready so when I do get on a load I'm ready to go. Me and my dad are driving to the airport and I'm thinking I better get my stuff together and that includes turning on the cypress so I can get on an early load. What do you know my helmet comes in and its a huge distraction. not even thinking about it I getting on the board. the reason I said I think its on is because I do the routine so often its like a reaction to saying its on.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Me and my dad are driving to the airport and I'm thinking I better get my stuff together and that includes turning on the cypress so I can get on an early load.

Please tell me you did not mean turning it on while driving to the DZ. Even if you live in the flatlands of Kansas it is just a bad idea.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If it were my son, I'd call him a dumbass. Suggest that he spend some time on equipment checks and basic survival skills, because his judgement was clearly lacking.

Jumping without an AAD isn't a big deal to me (although it's a requirement for students now). Lying about a gear check to be able to get on the plane does show willingness to compromise safety.

You didn't ask for it sugar-coated, did you?

Wendy Wy.

You forgot the part......

I love you son!! right before you slap him upside the head!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

no dude. my rig is at my dad's loft on the airport. check it out. www.thepoopsheet.com

He makes you jump a round reserve too! :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If you were my kid I'd smack your head ... lovingly of course. Then say with a smile "Have fun" and walk away.

You'd get the point and I wouldn't be an ass.

Secondly if you were my kid, you'd have a different rig so I could either lift the flap, or look on the back pad. Then ... I'd smack your head ... lovingly of course. Then say with a smile "Have fun" and walk away.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm sure you know some people do their own gear checks, because they don't like folks messing with their gear once it's own.

Due to the reserve pin location on a racer a self pin check is required. Sounds like you need to review you procedures so you don't forget the pin check & to turn on the cypress again.

Father knows you best and has your best interests at heart. Whatever you dad decides is good enough for me.

Don't worry be happy! Worse things could have happened and you got a long career ahead of you. Pay attention, don't screw up and enjoy it.:)
R.I.P.

You're a-licensed. I'd tell you it was off and tell you to go get on the plane and jump with it turned off since that's obviously how you wanted it seeing as you checked your gear thoroughly and all.

(maybe not a big thing to you; maybe it would be)

Then give you a talking to when you got down. If it is a big thing to you to jump without a cypres then jumping knowing it's off might just make you check your gear properly in future. If not, then the talking to would help... maybe also a gear check exam.

There is a point here that you are missing. Decisions are what keep you alive or kill you. Seems like a minor infraction, but it shows complaicency and poor decision making. I saw two people who's incorrect decision process result in their death skydiving last week. You can never tell when a decision can turn deadly. I have nearly 200 jumps and still get gear checks if not every jump, always for the first jump. I also gear check my partners, some of whom have many more jumps than I. Don't rely on them, but use them as a back up to stay safe. Choose safety at every possible turn.

It just sounds like to me that he loves you and is trying to make an impression on you to remember to do your gear checks. Don't be mad at him, at least he cares! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Somehow I misread what you said, and thought you said you'd also gotten a gear check. Big difference -- mistakes are not a big deal, bullshitting about safety is.

And yeah, the part about "I love you son" would also be in my response :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)