AdamWirtz2001

Jumping a Yak-52?

Hello All,

So, I have a friend I met recently who has a Yak-52 with tandem seating, in traditional colors. The goal is to jump it sometime this year. I want to make sure it is done safely, so I am looking for some advice from anyone who has jumped one before.

Does anyone have any reccommendations/tips on making a safe jump from this aircraft?

maybe when you have some experience under your belt then 51 jumps it might be a good idea, just saying....

But if I was going to do it, I would check out the steps to get into the rear canopy area and how much of a reach it is to the wing from there and do it a few times on the ground with gear on, then in flight, slide the canopy back and climb out being extra careful to not snag any handles or flaps etc. as I climbed out to the wing, lots of hand holds on a cockpit like that with the canopies open, then smile and geek the pilots camera and then dive off the rear in a downward angle, you should no problem missing the tail, but if the pilot is worried about it tell him to kick a little rudder when you leave..... that is how I would do it if I was going to do it.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Also have a plan for what to do with your seatbelt, so that buckles don't dangle and interfere with the controls after you leave.

It may be hard to refasten the buckles behind you and tighten up the straps while you are still in the cockpit, but perhaps they can tuck between cushions or similar.

Make sure the pilot can do a slow jump run while still being at a safe speed. It can help if he knows he can power back and let the plane descend on jump run too, to reduce prop blast -- like a jump pilot for student jumpers.

For the record, I do plan to get a lot more jumps in before doing the Yak jump. My goal is to have over 200 by June/July. (I just started in September, so I have mostly been jumping in winter, which makes it hard to get a lot of jumps in.) I'm here asking now so I can be prepared long before jumping the Yak.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to check out the plane sometime soon. I will see how/if I can tie down the harness while preparing to jump. Is it possible to use a more simple seatbelt for something like this? Or do you HAVE to stick with the harness that is typically in there? My friend did express concern about the harness fouling the controls after my exit. So I think that is the main issue I need to resolve prior to setting up the jump.

First off, you need to make several fully-geared up climbouts on the ground. Have the pilot watch closely, and pay attention to every grip and step you take. Make sure you come up with a solid climb out that keeps airplane parts away from your sensitive rigs parts, and rig/jumper parts away from sensitive airplane parts.

Be sure to remember the wind blast. It's like doing a door jam on an Otter on the ground, you can stand there with your weight on a foot forward of your body weight, but in flight, you'll find that the wind will puch you back, and with your foot in front of you, you cannot push against the wind. If your foot was aft of your body, you could lean forward against the wind and be 'balanced'. Just design your climb-out keeping in mind that the wind will always be pushing you back.

Next, as mentioned, make sure the pilot knows that jumprun should be slow, under 100knots if he can manage it. Also, ask for a descending jumprun, ganerally 500 ft per min is a good number, and the reason for this is to keep the nose down, and the tail up. When you ask a non-jump pilot for a slow speed, they'll generally pull the nose up to slow down, and this drops the tail (not good). What you need is nose down to keep the tail up, and flaps down to keep the speed down.

What you want is a 'stabilzed' jumprun before you start your climbout. The airspeed and attitude are set and stable, THEN you start your climbout, not before.

Beyond that, you need to think about where you're going to jump, how to spot it, where you're going to land, wind indicators, etc. You should have spotters on the ground watching you jump, and they should have an aircraft radio to contact the pilot in case of a problem. If you disappear behind the trees with a reserve half-out, the pilot will be able to find you the quickest, and report your position to the spotters. Of course, the spotters need the number for local EMS, and they need to know the address where you're jumping so they know what to tell them.

Maybe you ought to check and see if that aircraft can even fly with the canopy open or not.
some can and some can't, or if modifications are required to fly with an open canopy.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Maybe you ought to check and see if that aircraft can even fly with the canopy open or not.
some can and some can't, or if modifications are required to fly with an open canopy.

They can, no mods required.

They are a kick to fly too!

They are actually so light on the stick that the original trainer configuration has a dampener to make more pressure.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Some nice jumping scenes so far, but:
I was quite upset about the Nazi swastica on the plane and I bet the Jakowlev company doesn't approve of this "ornament" as well and so will a lot of older folks in Russia.
Just to vent, no answer necessary.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I was quite upset about the Nazi swastika on the plane and I bet the Jakowlev company doesn't approve of this "ornament" as well and so will a lot of older folks in Russia.

Why would anyone want to paint the logo of a failed political party on an airplane that was never operated by that party??????????

I could half understand painting a swastika on a restored Messerschmitt ... but cannot grasp the logic of painting a swastika on an old russian airplane?????

Have I studied too much history?????

I was quite upset about the Nazi swastika on the plane and I bet the Jakowlev company doesn't approve of this "ornament" as well and so will a lot of older folks in Russia.

Why would anyone want to paint the logo of a failed political party on an airplane that was never operated by that party??????????

I could half understand painting a swastika on a restored Messerschmitt ... but cannot grasp the logic of painting a swastika on an old russian airplane?????

Have I studied too much history?????

It could be used for historical reenactments? Just a guess.

Cool video, though I think my DZO would frown on about 95% of it.

... re-enactments ...

Swastikas - on a Russian airplane - might sucker the general public, but anyone who has studied history enough to know the difference between a Yak and a Focke-Wulf, will quickly lose interest.

Many of my older jewish, danish, dutch, etc. friends are enraged by swastikas, while I just scratch my head and wonder why?????

Mind you, I am equally baffled by people who insist on painting United States Air Force roundels on modern civilian airplanes??????

You're not the only one who wonders, I suppose.
And the swastika not only stands for a failed political party but for a regime responsible for WW II with more than 50 million deaths, the Holocaust, the killing of Sinti, Roma... the system that stood for concentration camps.

So I am pretty sure the moron who painted the swastika on his plane might take a lot of flak for that. I know this is a question of whether I play with words.

Maybe keep in imd that a swastika has a lot more history and meaning than what it is best known for.
Study art history and you will see it everywhere. There are government buildings in Canada that have swastikas in the mosaic work on the tile floors. The meaning there is a native symbol for the 4 seasons.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are looking to be offending you don't have to look very far.

To the OP just get your friend to bring the plane to your local DZ, the more experinced jumpers there will be more than happy to do a couple of test jumps for y of and tell how to exit:)

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

A getting back to basics summary, without too much Speakers Corner stuff:

A Yak-52 in the skydiving video was painted up in WW II German military style colours, complete with camouflage, the straight cross on the fuselage, and the swastika on the tail.

I didn't see the registration on the Yak, but with all sorts of aircraft in it being Russian registered, the jumping certainly seemed to be taking place in Russia.

Military paint schemes not matching the actual aircraft model's history are not unknown. It just seems to observers that painting a Russian aircraft in German WWII colours is relatively unusual, given the nature & scale of the war that took place between the nations, that is still within living memory for some.

I know about the symbol, no worries. I went to school and university and can read.
But I also know how to put things in context. And the context here is most certainly NOT a symbol one might find in Tibet somewhere looking like the one the Nazis abused for their weapons, their party etc.

BTW: " if you are looking to be offending you don't have to look very far"
Present participles have an active meaning; you most certainly wanted to use a past particle.
Don't you worry, I do not look to be offended. I either feel so or not. And if you like to have a second look at my OP - I wrote that no answers are necessary as I only wanted to let off steam.

Sorry if I sound patronizing, I just thought it's an appropriate answer to your patronizing reply.

I was quite upset about the Nazi swastica on the plane and I bet the Jakowlev company doesn't approve of this "ornament" as well and so will a lot of older folks in Russia.

There were military units with Russian nationals fighting on Nazi side during WWII. Maybe, they used Russian made planes. Just guessing.
More likely it`s reenactment.
US Tanderbolts were quite popular as Nazi planes in our movies with WWII.
dudeist skydiver #42

... re-enactments ...

Swastikas - on a Russian airplane - might sucker the general public, but anyone who has studied history enough to know the difference between a Yak and a Focke-Wulf, will quickly lose interest....
Mind you, I am equally baffled by people who insist on painting United States Air Force roundels on modern civilian airplanes??????

same thing for T6's with a bright red rising sun, as tehre are very few Zero's left... And the Jap's never flew T6's either :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

http://www.warbirdalley.com/zero.htm

As of last count there are two airworthy Zeros.

Correct!
But, back during the 1960s there were no air-worthy, WW2-vintage Japanese airplanes.
to provide airlift for the (Hollywood) film "Tora, Tora, Tora" they modified dozens of (USAF surplus) T-6 and BT-13 trainers to resemble Japanese Zero fighters, Val torpedo bombers, etc.
Ironically, they were able to find enough genuine (Imperial Japanese Navy, WW2-surplus) pilot emergency parachutes to equip a few actors.