Hellis

About digital altimeters batteries

Ok, it seems there is a lot of discussion about digital vs analog again.
And again the same arguments come up "what if the batterys run out".

Seriously!
Has anyone ever had that happen?
I'm not talking about "it could happen", has anyone here jumped a digital alti long enough to run out of batteries even though the batterywarning starts long before?

And knowing someone at another DZ that heard of someone else that was neighbour to one.....
No, Have you or have you seen in first person veiw that a digital alti has run out of battery. (when the person landed of course)

I'm very curious if this dead batterys is just a "myth", or if it actually has happend.

It's happened. More than once. More common if you don't use the recommended brand of replacement battery.

And it's not just batteries that can fail. Electronics can do funky shit for no apparent reason. I've had a Neptune refuse to work in the airplane when it worked fine before I boarded and it worked fine on the ground after the jump - was not a battery issue.

Yes. I got my Neptune when they first came out and the battery indicator was pretty unreliable, especially in the cold. I had it shut down in freefall on several occasions. I also had several freezes/reboots in the air. Haven't had any issues in a long time, though.

Seriously!

My Neptune shuts down, freezes, or resets every time I jump in the cold, regardless of battery charge. It also randomly resets on 1 in 20 warm weather jumps. You get used to it.
Owned by Remi #?

I still like my altimaster III on my left hand, even if I jump an electronic on my right. I've never (knocking on wood) had a problem with one of my Altimaster altimeters. :)

Seriously!

My Neptune shuts down, freezes, or resets every time I jump in the cold, regardless of battery charge. It also randomly resets on 1 in 20 warm weather jumps. You get used to it.

Ditto, never got a chance to send it back.

Seriously!
I'm not talking about "it could happen", has anyone here jumped a digital alti long enough to run out of batteries even though the batterywarning starts long before?

And knowing someone at another DZ that heard of someone else that was neighbour to one.....
No, Have you or have you seen in first person veiw that a digital alti has run out of battery. (when the person landed of course)

I'm very curious if this dead batterys is just a "myth", or if it actually has happend.

Hahaha, all the damn time. I have even had it look good in the plane then check my alti to see the rev / serial number screen. You just have to laugh.

I've had mine run out of batteries plenty of times. A couple times my wrist alti (N2, plus an older ParasportItalia digital alti), more often my beeper (N3).

On a nightjump I was on, a digital alti on another jumper gave out a couple seconds after exit.

So yeah, unless you're OK with your digital alti displaying "serial no. *****" I'd reconsider the idea of a digital alti and stick with analog.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Seriously!

Yup... happened to me. No big deal though. I have two audibles as well as my wrist altimeter...... I also have this thing I look at occasionally called the ground that gives me a pretty good idea where I am. B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

The key thing to keep in mind is that in most cases, the user has an idea that the battery is getting low via the on screen indicator or the unit acting funny while on the ground. I cannot tell you how many times I've watched people keep pushing buttons on the ground to coax the unit to come on and then being upset when it turns off on the ride up or in freefall. Like any piece of equipment, attention to maintenance is required. If you can't remember when the last time you changed your alti battery was, you should probably change it to avoid having an issue with it when you need it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I did not belive there was people beeing that dumb.

If they really need the alti to make a skydive they should have replaced the batteries several weeks ago when the low battery warning first appeared.

If they feel they don't need the alti (and therefor does not change the batteries) why do they get upset when it dies.

Odd people.

Thanks for sharing.

The key thing to keep in mind is that in most cases, the user has an idea that the battery is getting low via the on screen indicator or the unit acting funny while on the ground. I cannot tell you how many times I've watched people keep pushing buttons on the ground to coax the unit to come on and then being upset when it turns off on the ride up or in freefall. Like any piece of equipment, attention to maintenance is required. If you can't remember when the last time you changed your alti battery was, you should probably change it to avoid having an issue with it when you need it.

this. replacement batteries for my neptune 2 are cheap, I have three or four new in packaging in my gear bag.

if it gets say less than 1/3 remaining charge I just replace the battery and then you never have to worry about being in a situation where it might not have enough juice to make it through a single jump.

Limit this to personal experience? OK. My Optima's batteries are supposed to last for years or hundreds of jumps. I did only a few jumps over the winter months. Yet, the cold killed the batteries. It only has about 70 jumps, & less than a year on it.

I did not belive there was people beeing that dumb.

Ouch! That stung!
Hi! My name is Andy and I'm a dummy!

Went to update my logbook and oh shit, there I was...a dead digital.

Now what altitude was all those jumps from and damn, I have add up freefall time....again.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>If they really need the alti to make a skydive they should have replaced
>the batteries several weeks ago when the low battery warning first
>appeared.

On a Neptune you can be fine on a warm weekend. Then three weeks later on a cold morning you can have it die completely, no warning.

Yes, you could change them every weekend for the peace of mind. Do you do that?

>If they really need the alti to make a skydive they should have replaced
>the batteries several weeks ago when the low battery warning first
>appeared.

On a Neptune you can be fine on a warm weekend. Then three weeks later on a cold morning you can have it die completely, no warning.

Yes, you could change them every weekend for the peace of mind. Do you do that?

No, I don't change them each weekend.
But I do change them in time. And I don't feel the need for a alti during most skydives.
But if I would do a solojump without my protrack from high altitude, that would probably make me think.