jimmyisme

Headcorn AFF

I know someone who did AFF there and was very happy. Also have a friend who recently got back into the sport who jumps there and likes it.

No direct experience though. I suspect with most dz's people will defend sand promote their home dz. I doubt you would get an unsafe dz in the UK. Headcorn is supposed to be friendly from the 2 people I know.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Over the years, there are only two dropzones that I’ve only ever been actively dissuaded from jumping (one US and one UK). Headcorn being the UK example. Oddly their name/reputation seems to travel wide. I was once jumping in Swakopmund, Namibia and got into a conversation with a local about UK dropzones. I remember him saying “Yeah, I hear you’ve got some good dropzones around London, except for Headcorn; I hear it’s sh*t”.

One odd aspect; they charge A-license jumpers £2 more per lift ticket. Apparently the reason is that an A-license jumper can’t jumpmaster the load. Yeah, like you’ll really be jump master with 50 jumps??

... drive to Hinton or Sibson, you’ll have more fun – cheaper jump tickets also.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Over the years, there are only two dropzones that I’ve only ever been actively dissuaded from jumping (one US and one UK). Headcorn being the UK example. Oddly their name/reputation seems to travel wide. I was once jumping in Swakopmund, Namibia and got into a conversation with a local about UK dropzones. I remember him saying “Yeah, I hear you’ve got some good dropzones around London, except for Headcorn; I hear it’s sh*t”.

One odd aspect; they charge A-license jumpers £2 more per lift ticket. Apparently the reason is that an A-license jumper can’t jumpmaster the load. Yeah, like you’ll really be jump master with 50 jumps??

... drive to Hinton or Sibson, you’ll have more fun – cheaper jump tickets also.

As I get to meet more people I think many of these stories are largely down to luck of the draw and dz politics. My personal experience of Hinton has been 3 visits over the years, on 2 visits there were fatalities. It's no less safe than any other dz and I was just unlucky. My first visit to my new home dz, I hated the place. Now I've been out a couple of times my views have changed. Unless a place is well known for being unsafe I would go and give it a shot. And unsafe would require specific data (eg Lodi with FAA fines) not some rumour on the net.

Seems every dz has their local twat, some are in a position of power and others aren't. Just keep away from them.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Like a lot of negative ideas in skydiving, old dropzone reviews die hard. But they're not necessarily still relevant.

I've been hearing 'oh Headcorn sucks' since I started jumping. It's not local to me so I haven't been there much, but every time I've had cause to go I've had a great time. It certainly has its own vibe, but so do lots of places.

There are quite a few Headcorn locals who are also regulars at the London Skydivers meetups, and they're a really nice lot.

Speaking of London Skydivers - last Thursday of every month at the Montagu Pyke on Charing Cross Road, newbies very welcome - people from lots of places there who will be only too eager to buy you a drink and try and persuade you that their dropzone is where you should train ;)

(See also Facebook group of same name.)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

As a regular jumper at Headcorn i can say with hand on heart things have changed.
Positive vibes, plenty of young enthusiastic newer jumpers and a excellent end of day social scene (though i'm too old to handle my drink these days:)).
Seriously give it a go, as others have mentioned things and places fall in and out of fashion..

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Correct guess on the US DZ.

Re Headcorn, it’s nothing to do with the safety element (that’s fine). It’s just got an odd vibe. I will admit I haven’t been there in a while, but I see they still have the practice of charging A-license holder an extra £2 which I think is a crap practice
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Just go To the DZ and make your own mind up.
If it is closest think of all the petrol money you will save rather than going somewhere further away,which might be crap.If its really close you only have the problem of looking out the window to decide if the weather is OK rather than driving maybe 50 miles or so to find out the weather is unsuitable for a day out skydiving.
Slating DZ'S is a hobby for some !
Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

I’ve been asked to coach an up and coming CF team based at Headcorn and they speak very highly of the place.
Unfortunately I can’t give my opinion of the DZ as I’m not allowed to jump there as only “local” jumpers are allowed to do CF at Headcorn….
PH36 Canopy Formation Team.
www.skydive99.com
www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/PH36-Canopy-Formati

I’ve been asked to coach an up and coming CF team based at Headcorn and they speak very highly of the place.
Unfortunately I can’t give my opinion of the DZ as I’m not allowed to jump there as only “local” jumpers are allowed to do CF at Headcorn….

Obviously no contest, take them to Nethers.
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Although some years ago, I made Headcorn my home-DZ when living a couple of years in the UK. It was easy to get to, friendly crowd there, great jumping, nice pubs nearby and all in all a very good drop zone.

So just try it and make your own decision. If you pay attention to all the whiners and whingers, you'll never end up going anywhere. Just find somewhere that makes your skydiving easy and fun. Then jump lots and enjoy. Life is good, Headcorn or a host of dz's can make it better.
;). B|

So they charge A license jumpers an extra £2 per jump and one of our countries best CF jumper isn't allowed to do CF there cos he's not a "local". WTF?

How do they determine a local jumper? Proximity to the DZ? What? That bit of info really surprises me!
I'd like to know more on that.

And for all those that say it's the closest to London or easy to get to, well I beg to differ. I live just outside east London. Headcorn is technically my closest DZ in mileage terms but it actually is longer to get to as most of the roads are country roads. It's quicker and far easier to drive to Sibson (or previously Weston).

been twenty years since i jumped there but i was made welcome had fun and went to pub at night with the local jumpers but the vibe ebbs and flows over the years at all dzs so no idea how it is now why not try all the closest ones out and make your own mind up!

So they charge A license jumpers an extra £2 per jump and one of our countries best CF jumper isn't allowed to do CF there cos he's not a "local". WTF?

How do they determine a local jumper? Proximity to the DZ? What? That bit of info really surprises me!
I'd like to know more on that.

And for all those that say it's the closest to London or easy to get to, well I beg to differ. I live just outside east London. Headcorn is technically my closest DZ in mileage terms but it actually is longer to get to as most of the roads are country roads. It's quicker and far easier to drive to Sibson (or previously Weston).

Things like that are what made me dislike the scene in the UK. And if you can get to Sibson, you could probably make it to Chatteris just as easy. You should check them out and see what you think.

the vibe ebbs and flows over the years at all dzs

Exactly. I 'grew up' at Headcorn, having done my AFF there in 1992. Some of the best times of my life have been spent there, and I'll always have a special affection for it because of that. It's not a progressive DZ, and I couldn't honestly recommend it for serious team training - my teams have trained at Weston (RIP) and at Netheravon - but for tandem and AFF and occasional fun jumping, I think it's just fine.

Over the years the social scene dwindled along with the regulars, but when I made a rare visit a few weeks ago there was a new, young crowd and it felt a little like the old days.

Im there most weekends.

90% i love the DZ, Ive been jumping there for around 2 years now as it is now my closest DZ since moving back from bristol.

Its not a big DZ and we can get holds from London. It can be difficult to get coaches to learn new disciplines. But when it is good its really good. We had 3 new FF1's in one weekend and two new WS1's the following. Some VERY experienced instructors and coaches (Chris Lynch amongst them.)

If you do decide to come down come say hello. Normally in a black and green jumpsuit

tom