Paperweight

Boyfriend's birthday present: did anyone NOT enjoy their first jump?

Hi,

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up along with our anniversary so I'm looking for a nice present. I brought up the options hypothetically to him and he said he would enjoy a weekend getaway more because he's never been that interested in skydiving. He did say he would go skydiving but just that it's not on his list of must do things. I have never jumped either by the way. Should I go with my gut that says it's an experience we will never forget and he will like it after he's experienced it? Or do lots of people not enjoy their first jump (tandem)?

Thanks

"He said he would enjoy a weekend getaway more." Sounds like your answer to me.

If someone doesn't have a strong desire to skydive, strong enough that they are willing to risk their life relying only on some lines, some fabric and some dude they don't know to make it repeatable, I'd suggest not getting them a tandem ride for a present.

Most people I jump with express having a great time. They say they are totally coming back, and some do multiple times if we can't get them into a solo progression, but for others time and money gets in the way.

Some aren't overly impressed, but they say that they were glad they made the jump, but they wouldn't jump again.

I did have one 21st birthday boy whose girlfriend surprised him. He got sick under canopy while in the pattern and then we had a rougher landing to finish it off. We were both fine, but I felt pretty bad that he had to get sick and have a rough landing.

That is the one reason I don't go out of my way to convince friends and family to jump unless they come to me first. 999 out of 1000 tandems go smooth, but there is always that slight chance that someone will hate it, or they might get injured. I don't want to talk some one in to it, and then have them get sick, or hurt.

Their desire to jump, without my persuasion, needs to be enough for them to justify the risk.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I agree, if you are not up to taking that risk, it might turn out to be a unpleasant.

You could always make a weekend getaway to a dropzone, camp there, and you do 2 tandems, one for yourself, and one for him. Both win win situations.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I would not buy the jump just yet. As you stated for some reason or other he has "never been that interested in skydiving." This to me is a red flag. For whatever reason it sounds like this person does not want to do a skydive. Would he jump if you bought it for him ? Yes, I believe he would. Would he have a good time ? Again, yes I believe that he would. I also remember the case of a boyfriend buying his girlfriend this as a surprise gift and as they parked in the lot she began crying. She never even got out of the car. The 3 others in their group all jumped and had an o.k. time because their friend was back in the car crying. I would suggest in a couple weeks or a month show him a you tube video of a very very good and safe tandem skydive and see how he reacts to it. Again if he appears disinterested then let it go because he may have some personal reason for not wanting to do it that he either feels embarrassed or ashamed to explain. Another suggestion if a drop zone is nearby may be to go together and hang out for a little bit watch some jumps and gauge his reaction that way again if he appears disinterested then i would suggest letting it go.

Hi,

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up along with our anniversary so I'm looking for a nice present. I brought up the options hypothetically to him and he said he would enjoy a weekend getaway more because he's never been that interested in skydiving. He did say he would go skydiving but just that it's not on his list of must do things. I have never jumped either by the way. Should I go with my gut that says it's an experience we will never forget and he will like it after he's experienced it? Or do lots of people not enjoy their first jump (tandem)?

Thanks

My first jump was not a tandem, but I have to say that it didnt excite me to much.

Fortunately Im a persistent MoFo and I finally "got it" on jump 7:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Surely the vast majority of first-time jumpers do really enjoy their skydive, BUT the vast majority of those people have chosen to take part and so clearly wanted to do it and are clearly more likely to enjoy it. I imagine that if you took 1000 random people from the street and took them skydiving, a much lower % would report enjoying the experience, with a really very low % being happy with it before the jump.

I wouldn't pressure anyone into doing a jump who didn't clearly want to and take some initiative themselves to prove it. You know your boyfriend better than us so can judge how much encouragement is appropriate, but I'd say don't push him into this (or anything else) he doesn't especially want to do. Simply because the expereince will be directly tainted by being "forced" into it, regardless of how much he might have otherwise enjoyed it. If you really want to do a skydive together one day then you need to pull some inception shit and grow the idea in his mind...

Hi,

Thanks

If he's not down, don't do it. I haven't gone skydiving all that much but I've already seen tandems "pressured" into it, they usually don't have a good time.

You sound like you want to try it though...just go with some friends.

I say take him on the weekend getaway, it sounds like he's clearly telling you that's what he wants to do.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If it is something YOU want to do, do it for your birthday or some other reason, or for no reason at all. Don't superimpose your desires on him, as that's not what a relationship is about. His birthday should be about what he wants... he wants a weekend getaway, so plan one and have fun!

It's just like golf. I have never been golfing. Lots of people absolutely love golf. It's just not my cup of tea, it has no interest for me at all, there are many other things I would want to try first. If someone got me a golf outing for my birthday, I'd realize that the person doesn't know me very well. I'd do it, may or may not like it, and in the back of my head, be thinking about the things I'd rather have been doing on my birthday.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Making a skydive, even a tandem, is not an "experience". There is real potential for injury or death. If it isn't his idea, don't bother with it. There is a currrent thread about a tandem passenger who died, didn't really want to do it, but his wife talked him into trying it.
Could you live with that????
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

he said he would enjoy a weekend getaway more because he's never been that interested in skydiving

get away for the weekend and use the two hundred bucks you would spend on the tandem on some lingerie instead and make him happy.

when it's your birthday, tell him you want to strap yourself to another dude and jump out of the plane. he can pay for that, and can't complain, because he got what he wanted on his bday

B|

sounds to me like you're the one who wants to skydive anyway, so win win.

he said he would enjoy a weekend getaway more because he's never been that interested in skydiving

get away for the weekend and use the two hundred bucks you would spend on the tandem on some lingerie instead and make him happy.

when it's your birthday, tell him you want to strap yourself to another dude and jump out of the plane. he can pay for that, and can't complain, because he got what he wanted on his bday

B|

sounds to me like you're the one who wants to skydive anyway, so win win.

Best advice so far.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

My first jump I had a raging hangover from Tequila, a nasty head cold and it was the middle of winter... it wasn't the most pleasant experience.
So I can't say I enjoyed my first jump, especially considering I nearly threw up under canopy, until my TM told me to throw up down the front of my jumpsuit.
But I was glad I did it!

If its something YOU want to do, then maybe go for the weekend away and do it another time, maybe he'll come as a supporting boyfriend when you choose to do it.

I've surprised friends with a skydive present who have said they would/or wanted to do it but were too scared to commit and book it themselves.

But I've got friends like your bf, who have stated they're not interested for whatever reason. For me, that's end of discussion, I respect their decision and I'm not going to try and change their mind.

Thank you all for your suggestions. You're all correct in that it sounds like I'm the one who wants to jump. The reason the idea came to mind is because a year ago he really wanted to go with me, we love doing things together obviously, and I feel if he doesn't have to pay for it himself he'll look at it differently. I definitely don't want to impose my wishes on him so I'm going back and forth because I feel the desire is there but this sudden lack of interest is surprising me. But anyway men are pretty straightforward so I will listen. Nobody wants to see that awkward face after opening a gift they don't like :D:D

It's been my experience that a suggestion to go skydiving will often generate a psoitive response. Something like "That would be really cool" or "I've always wanted to try it."

Asking them to commit to it is an entirely different matter. Discussing it hypothetically is very different from discussing actually making the arrangements.

And you are right. Guys tend to be straightforward. He's said he'd prefer a romantic get-away weekend. Do that and then ask for a tandem for yourself in the future. If he wants to jump too, great. If not, then having a "cheerleader" on the ground is fun too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You want to jump?
Well then freaking jump!
Heck bring beer money and a few of your close friends! And heck they can jump as well!
Extra points will be given if any of these "close friends" are women.

And boubble bonus points shall be awarded if these friends also bring beer!

OK all BS aside, you have one life to live...so live it!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Yeah! What he said!

Just be sure to tell your female friends that skydivers are the aviation equivalent of carnies.

That's pretty unfair...

To carnies. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi,

Take a look at the incident forum and read about some Tandems and their family's that did not enjoy their tandems.

Get in touch with the DZ your interested in and ask them to Email you a copy of the liability waiver that you and your friend wull be required to sign.:o

R.

Yeah! What he said!

Just be sure to tell your female friends that skydivers are the aviation equivalent of carnies.

As if you wouldn't be turned on by some on the Freak Show! :P
Remster