kirrz

AFF 1 - How to calm nerves?

I did a tandem on Wednesday as my first jump, fell in love with sky diving, sold all my stuff on eBay and decided to start the AFF this weekend.

I spent all of yesterday at the DZ doing the practical training and I am pretty confident about parachuting and most of the freefall..

I woke up with a bad cramp in my calf muscle today so I have put off the actual jump until tomorrow.. I don't know how much of this has to do with nerves - I AM FLIPPED OUT ABOUT THE EXIT!

Just the idea of standing on the outside of the plane, barely holding on to the inside - I am really clumsy and I am so scared about slipping, falling and messing up my whole dive from an out of control exit.

Can you please share some stories about first-time nerves or give me some advice about how to take it all in stride and calm my nerves?

Thank you!

Read my sig line, therein lies your answer. Relax, watch the plane fly away and ARCH. Once your "knees are in the breeze" it's all good. We all go through it at one time or another.

Remember, read my sig line. Good Luck, Have Fun! B|
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Best method is the standard deep breaths. In through the nose, out through the mouth. And it really does work too!

Another good thing is to shout something as you exit, thatll focus your attention. Scream out something like ARCH! Loads of ours do that. Seems to work, in my limited experience.

So what if the exit goes bad? It's only one small part of the skydive. Go on with your plan anyway.

And who cares if you "slip"? You ARE going to be wearing a parachut right?B|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

This is the exact reason we have two JMs jumping out with you. They will help make your exit more comfortable. As an AFF-JM myself, I love a challenge. No matter what you do on exit, you'll be in freefall. There's lots of altitude to get stable. The feeling you get when you land your own parachute for the first time, will absolutely trump your tandem experience.

Go for it! Get some air! Tear it up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

If you can find something you love to do, and it's possible to do it on the way up, you might try it.

I was an absolute bundle of nerves on my first 5 SL jumps. I LOVE to sing! So on the last two jumps, one of them being my first freefall, I sang one of my favorite songs. I was not absolutely terrified on those jumps and they went great!

Of course breathing and smiling don't hurt either. Best of luck!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Visualization helped me to relax. I would find a quiet place and visualize the entire skydive, from sitting in the plane, to getting up, to exiting, through all the freefall tasks to deployment. I went through it a bunch of times (15 or 20) before I even got on the plane, then I'd go over it a few more times on the plane ride to calm my nerves. I would find my "quiet place" on the plane just by closing my eyes and visualizing.

Visualize a great exit, and you're setting yourself up for a great exit. Visualize botching the exit and ... well... you can guess what that sets you up for. Why bother imagining that?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I joked in an earlier post that I have fumbled a lot of the exits...

Now a serious reply...

It is true, we all have exits that go south... If you do what you are instructed, (arch comes to mind), even if the exit sucks you will recover quickly...

Nerves are a tricky thing... Everyone has different ways of handling them... I can tell you, I have had every sensation in the doorway from complete, "why in the hell am I doing this (scared)", to "I am jumping with a world class champion, don't f*&^ this up (performance anxiety)" to "If I grab my ankles and twist my head to the left of my pelvis I bet I can get the most wicked 3 dimensional tumble (creativity and comfort)"...

What will calm your nerves will be different than us... You should tell your instructor your concern so they can help you, they are trained professionals...

Some techniques I use to calm down:

*Close eyes and visualize the dive
*Deep breaths
*Talking to friends
*Smiling at tandem students that are over the line freaked out and thinking, "now that is freaked".
*Remembering the previous dive that went so well.

I was absolutely shitting my pants but then i looked at all the tandem students and saw the same feelings running through them, that made me smile to myself and i just thought "wow, we really are all on the same boat." From that moment all i could think about was how lucky i was to be doing AFF. Breath deep, relax and smile. Best of luck mate

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Thanks so much guys! I was freaking out yesterday and was thinking that I would jump without even looking out.. but after reading all of your posts I've completely changed my mind!

I went to the DZ today thinking that I was just going to jump straight out and enjoy every minute of it and so what if I fell out, that's the aim anyway. But unfortunately it was too overcast so I have to go back again tomorrow.

Bit of an anti-climax but at least now I'm in a completely different frame of mind! Thank you all so much!!!

(To answer a question - I have no idea what plane it is.. it could be one with a backdoor or a side door and I've been in the planes but I have no idea what its called)

You've reminded me now - I'm jumping out of either a Skyvan or an Otter, been trained for both exits.

Does the plane you jump out of make a difference? And if so, how?

It makes a difference in how the exit works and in some cases, the attainable altitude of the aircraft [or at least the speed at which it gets to altitude].

For AFF, exits from a van or otter are notably different. Some instructors seem to prefer one over the other [at least for lower levels vs. higher levels], but to a low-level AFF jumper, there won't be much difference. Either way your instructors will have their hands on you and you'll be arching to get stable. Everybody has a preference.

When you're a self-supervising jumper, you get to make your own preference. I love the van because of all the exit possibilities that I've found. Hucking myself out of a huge door on the back of an aircraft is just that much more fun.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

When I was a student, I was scared to death of falling out of the airplane during spotting or setup in the door. I talked to one of my instructors about it knowing it was an irrational fear and seeking advice. He told me something that calmed me down and I‘ve never had a problem since. “We’ll if you fall out we just start the skydive a few seconds early.”
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Another good thing is to shout something as you exit, thatll focus your attention. Scream out something like

HOOCHIE MAMAAAAAA......

You want to know about unstable, my favorite exit is the cannon ball, just tumbling thru the air... GOD, I WANT TO JUMP!

Seriously, smile, breathe, ARCH, and have fun. You will have two very qualified people doing their very best to keep you in control. Exit fear is part of the sport and gives you that extra excitement :)
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Thanks so much guys! I was freaking out yesterday and was thinking that I would jump without even looking out.. but after reading all of your posts I've completely changed my mind!

I went to the DZ today thinking that I was just going to jump straight out and enjoy every minute of it and so what if I fell out, that's the aim anyway. But unfortunately it was too overcast so I have to go back again tomorrow.

Bit of an anti-climax but at least now I'm in a completely different frame of mind! Thank you all so much!!!

(To answer a question - I have no idea what plane it is.. it could be one with a backdoor or a side door and I've been in the planes but I have no idea what its called)

when you get to the door.. Look at the wing.. and make lots of eye contact with your AFFI's
they will take care of you..
Smile alot.. there is something about smiling that lets us relax.
Not sure about your DZ but one or our planes in Perris is a skyvan.. I did one of my AFF jumps out of it.. they made me walk backwards.. check the spot and step out backwards.. I understood that.. because when I went back for solos.. I had no wing to fix on.. lol.. I could really only see the ground.. by then I had gotten some confidence that AFF will give you .. So now I love jumping out of the sky van.. just dive and tuck.. lots of flips.. then Arch.... and your stable..
its a piece of cake.. Your going to have the best time of your life..
chop up your credit cards NOW!!!

a: Pay attention to what your instructors tell you to do and do it.

b: jump, if you are nervous that is to be expected.

c: Repeat...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…